Whistler WS1098....MotoTRBO right out of the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

map_guy

I finally grabbed a WS1098 to pick up a local MOTOTRBO system (New Bedford DPI, Massachusetts).

I downloaded the latest EZSCAN software; updated the firmware, and updated the library. The thing is I don't see this system in the library of channels.

Do I need to update the firmware for the WS1098 to grab MOTOTRBO systems?

I guess there is an off chance the New Bedford DPW system isn't in the library, just trying to figure out if I should return the scanner and grab the next model up. MOTOTRBO was the big reason I grabbed this scanner.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I finally grabbed a WS1098 to pick up a local MOTOTRBO system (New Bedford DPI, Massachusetts).

I downloaded the latest EZSCAN software; updated the firmware, and updated the library. The thing is I don't see this system in the library of channels.

Do I need to update the firmware for the WS1098 to grab MOTOTRBO systems?

I guess there is an off chance the New Bedford DPW system isn't in the library, just trying to figure out if I should return the scanner and grab the next model up. MOTOTRBO was the big reason I grabbed this scanner.
They do show up on the Digital Frequency Search inquiry, license WQQI713, for MotoTRBO emission code. Not in the database, probably because no one submitted it (if it's active). The license was issued in 2012.

You'll probably need to enter those frequencies as DMR in your WS1098, and see if there is activity. Depending on how old your scanner is (even if new, it could have been sitting in a vendors stock for a while), I'd say try the firmware update through EZ-Scan to make sure the radio is DMR ready.

map_guy

troymail

Silent Key
1-01 -- not a good place to start.... If you were not aware, you need to be VERY careful with the SD card -- power the radio down, properly release the SD from the PC, etc. Failing to do so will result in the SD card getting corrupted.

I hesitate to push you towards this but, how comfortable are you at (re)formatting the SD card, etc?

You could also have windows check and correct errors.

At some point (soon), you should get another SD card - always good to have a backup.

map_guy

I remember that from my PSR800. I reformatted the SDCard through the SD Card port on my PC and it just did it again as I type this UGHHH.

I have a few SD Cards laying around, any suggestions on which size SD Cards works best with this scanner?

map_guy

I tried a whole bunch of stuff, but still kept on getting the 1-01 error code.

Turns out the software doesn't like it when the scanner is plugged into a USB Hub. I plugged the usb cable directly into the computer and it updated the firmware right off. Since then the "1-01" error code went away.

It seems like the EZScan software works better and doesn't hang as much when you update the SD Card and not use a USB cable.

map_guy

So I added the Frequencies for the New Bedford DPW that were not in the database. They don't seem to be encrypted and coming in fine, whats my next step in setting this channels up as a trunked system?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
So I added the Frequencies for the New Bedford DPW that were not in the database. They don't seem to be encrypted and coming in fine, whats my next step in setting this channels up as a trunked system?

Create a trunked system from the menu (Program Menu>Add System), select type DMR, then add the frequencies you've located through your search. Then add a talkgroup wildcard and assign it to a scan list.

That should be the bare minimum needed to get it going. Active talkgroups will pop up through the wildcard.

Once you've identified active talkgroups, you can enter and assign them to a scan list, along with alpha tags, blinking lights, beeps or anything else you desire.

And we would be most grateful if you would submit anything you find to the database! :D

map_guy

I'd be glad to, but might be a little lost with all that....

Am I doing this with the scanner or the EZScan software?

Status
Not open for further replies.