White Christmas for the Metro Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
NWS has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for much of the Front Range, including Ft Collins - Boulder - Denver - DIA - Brighton - Jefco - Dgls Cnty effective 8pm Tuesday until 5am Thr.

Jim<

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
From NWS Denver/Boulder:

LARIMER COUNTY BELOW 6000 FEET/NORTHWEST WELD COUNTY-
BOULDER AND JEFFERSON COUNTIES BELOW 6000 FEET/WEST BROOMFIELD
COUNTY-
NORTH DOUGLAS COUNTY BELOW 6000 FEET/DENVER/WEST ADAMS AND
ARAPAHOE COUNTIES/EAST BROOMFIELD COUNTY-
ELBERT/CENTRAL AND EAST DOUGLAS COUNTIES ABOVE 6000 FEET-
NORTHEAST WELD COUNTY-CENTRAL AND SOUTH WELD COUNTY-MORGAN COUNTY-
CENTRAL AND EAST ADAMS AND ARAPAHOE COUNTIES-
SOUTHEAST ELBERT COUNTY BELOW 6000 FEET/SOUTH LINCOLN COUNTY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FORT COLLINS...HEREFORD...LOVELAND...
NUNN...ARVADA...BOULDER...GOLDEN...LAKEWOOD...LONGMONT...AURORA...
BRIGHTON...CITY OF DENVER...DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT...
HIGHLANDS RANCH...LITTLETON...PARKER...CASTLE ROCK...ELBERT...
FONDIS...KIOWA...LARKSPUR...BRIGGSDALE...GROVER...PAWNEE BUTTES...
RAYMER...STONEHAM...EATON...FORT LUPTON...GREELEY...ROGGEN...
BRUSH...FORT MORGAN...GOODRICH...WIGGINS...BENNETT...BYERS...
DEER TRAIL...LEADER...FORDER...KARVAL...KUTCH...PUNKIN CENTER
753 PM MST MON DEC 21 2009

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM TUESDAY TO 5 AM
MST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DENVER HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM TUESDAY
TO 5 AM MST THURSDAY.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL DEVELOP TUESDAY EVENING AND CONTINUE INTO
WEDNESDAY. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO TAPER OFF LATE WEDNESDAY
AFTERNOON INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* ACCUMULATION/WIND...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OVER 3 TO 7 INCHES ARE
EXPECTED BY THURSDAY MORNING. NORTH WINDS OF 5 TO 15 MPH MAY
CAUSE ISOLATED BLOWING SNOW.

* IMPACTS...ROADS AND HIGHWAYS ARE EXPECTED TO BECOME SNOW COVERED
WITH HAZARDOUS AND SLOW TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

nocophotog

Premium Subscriber
I'm certainly no meteorologist but I've been watching this storm on NWS radar & it's movements and I would guess to say it's a "Hit'n-miss". I other words, it could shoot directly north of Denver but I'll have to wait and see if my predictions right.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Update from NWS Boulder:

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY includes Denver, Fort Collins, Greeley, the entire Interstate 25 corridor and Eastern Plains locations out to Deer Trail for a storm total of 4 to 8 inches of snowfall by 5 a.m. Thursday when the Advisory expires. The snow will come in fits and starts, even ending for a while during the middle of the day Wednesday. The first wave of snow Tuesday night into Wednesday morning is forecast to be around 1 to 3 inches in the metro area with 3 to 6 inches for the foothills.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY is in effect for the Front Range Foothills, Summit and Grand Counties north to Rabbit Ears Pass for 5 to 12 inches of total snowfall. This total is forecast to be reached by 5 a.m. Thursday when the Advisory expires. The heaviest snow in Summit and Grand Counties as well as Rabbit Ears Pass is not expected to start until late Wednesday evening.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY also includes the Sangre De Cristos and Wet Mountains of southern Colorado, and the Walsenburg and Trinidad areas. Mountain locations can expect 6 to 12 inches of snow by Thursday morning, while lower elevations will see 4 to 8 inches of accumulation.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY is in effect for most of southeastern Colorado, the panhandle of Oklahoma and north Texas from late Tuesday through Thursday. Expect 4 to 8 inches of snow to accumulate in locations like Lamar, Holly and Springfield by late Thursday.

A WINTER STORM WARNING is in effect for part of southwest Colorado, including the southwest San Juans, Cortez and Durango areas until 6 p.m. Wednesday. Mountain locations can expect 10 to 18 inches of snow to accumulate by late Wednesday, while lower elevations will see 4 to 8 inches of snow.

A WINTER STORM WARNING is in effect for extreme eastern Colorado, western Kansas, and western and southwest Nebraska from 5 p.m. Tuesday through 5 a.m. Friday.
Locations such as Akron, Limon, Burlington and Ogallala, Nebraska can expect 6 to 10 inches of snow to accumulate by Christmas Eve.

nocophotog

Premium Subscriber
Boy did I miis the mark! I was watching the wrong storm over the Western Slope when in fact, it was building steam in Albuquerque :eek:)

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Numerous TA's in the Fort Lupton, Hudson and as well as the rest of Weld county, dispatch limited radio traffic to emergency traffic only due to the amount of calls they were receiving and also the amount they had to tone out. They also don't have enough ambulances to respond to calls. A reported 2-3 roll overs south of Fort Lupton on Hwy 85 and 1 or 2 on 76 in the Hudson area.

nocophotog

Premium Subscriber
Extremely busy in Weld. All firegrounds (2-12) are being used. Now they are starting to use the wintag channels for fire TG's. There are several extrication accidents including an unconscious 3 year old and a dozen people hurt with several trapped. I think this one was on I-76? but there's so many accidents, I lost track. Also, just heard Weld County Paramedics go back in service on a "D.O.A."

Last edited:

Warbirdhunter

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

8 car just came in. I-70 west of the 256,asking for M/A.

Warbirdhunter

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Anyone have a current list of roads that are closed?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber

Anyone have a current list of roads that are closed?

No major closures currently Charles.

NB Wadsworth at Mississippi is it statewide.

not really much snow just a neat ice layer under.

Jim<

CRfan1

Premium Subscriber
Castle rock was very busy earlier yesterday at about 230pm. They had alot of gas leaks, they had a party stuck in a elevator and multiple accidents everywhere.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much over now just cold temps and ice.

9 inches -- Greeley, Nunn
8 inches -- Watkins
7 inches -- Broomfield, Fort Collins, Pinecliffe, Windsor
6 inches -- Boulder, Brush, Evergreen, Golden
5 inches -- Aurora, Denver (7News), Longmont, Lyons, Niwot, Parker
4 inches -- Arvada, Castle Rock, Conifer, Genesee, Littleton, Thornton
3 inches -- Elizabeth, Highlands Ranch

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.