• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

White OHP units...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2112

Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
340
Location
OK
So whilst idling about town today, I saw an all-white, slick-top OHP unit. It was otherwise marked as normal, as far as I could see. Anyone know what that might be for? Is it just a regular that hasn't gone to paint yet? Or is there some darker, more sinister meaning?
 

Gilligan

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,126
Location
Hagerstown, MD
Did it have interior lights? It may be an undercover used for a little more stealth in traffic enforcement. It's easier to sneak up from behind with no exterior lights to make a profile.
 

tiawah466

Member
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
306
Location
CLAREMORE,OK
I saw one like that last year and it had TROOP COMMANDER in white letters on the trunk lid. If I rember correctly it had an OHP tag.
 

2112

Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
340
Location
OK
Gilligan said:
Did it have interior lights? It may be an undercover used for a little more stealth in traffic enforcement. It's easier to sneak up from behind with no exterior lights to make a profile.
tiawah466 said:
I saw one like that last year and it had TROOP COMMANDER in white letters on the trunk lid. If I rember correctly it had an OHP tag.
I wasn't able to get close enough long enough to see interior lights or check for any lettering on the trunk...
 

CommShrek

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2004
Messages
664
I was on a scene where a trooper was in bad need of a supervisor. The supervisor that showed up was driving an all white Crown Vic with interior emergency lights. This was in the Tulsa area though. I don't recall what rank the supervisor was. Maybe a Lt.? I see the guy on TV from time to time.
 

Chaos703

Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2003
Messages
496
Location
1 T19N R13E
Many years ago there was a white OHP unit running around Tulsa. It was some kind of screwy car, like a Ford Probe or Dodge Intrepid or something like that. I asked my Trooper buddy if he knew the story behind it. He said that occasionally, manufactures or equipment vendors will give departments free "sample" cars or "sample" equipment packages in whatever make the department is already using. When they do this, the unit is usually a generic white with just the department's logo slapped on the side.

Could this be what you saw?
 

2112

Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
340
Location
OK
Chaos703 said:
Many years ago there was a white OHP unit running around Tulsa. It was some kind of screwy car, like a Ford Probe or Dodge Intrepid or something like that. I asked my Trooper buddy if he knew the story behind it. He said that occasionally, manufactures or equipment vendors will give departments free "sample" cars or "sample" equipment packages in whatever make the department is already using. When they do this, the unit is usually a generic white with just the department's logo slapped on the side.

Could this be what you saw?
It was a CVPI... reminded me of the switch that the Ohio SHP made a few years back from dark silver to white... yuck... lol. But like you said at the end... all it seemed to have was the OHP logo slapped on the side.
 

KK5FM

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
234
Location
Guthrie, OK
Urban legend or not...

Many years ago, an OHP friend of mine said they had "specially marked" trooper cars. These cars would be brown, white, or any color of the rainbow, but they had the Oklahoma Highway Patrol emblem on the side, more antennas than even most ham vehicles, rear deck lights, a decal across the trunk lid that said STATE TROOPER, so they were just like any other OHP unit except they weren't black and white. The story goes, an influential legislator flew by one of these cars on the interstate - a car whith 8 antennas whipping in the wind, an OHP decal on the side, rear deck lights, and a guy IN UNIFORM driving it. So, the legislator gets stopped, and then later introduces a bill that the OHP could only have Black and whites, because the "Specially marked units" were not easily recognizable as a Highway Patrol car! LOL!
 

car2back

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2004
Messages
3,010
Location
Tulsa, OK
KK5FM said:
Many years ago, an OHP friend of mine said they had "specially marked" trooper cars. These cars would be brown, white, or any color of the rainbow, but they had the Oklahoma Highway Patrol emblem on the side, more antennas than even most ham vehicles, rear deck lights, a decal across the trunk lid that said STATE TROOPER, so they were just like any other OHP unit except they weren't black and white. The story goes, an influential legislator flew by one of these cars on the interstate - a car whith 8 antennas whipping in the wind, an OHP decal on the side, rear deck lights, and a guy IN UNIFORM driving it. So, the legislator gets stopped, and then later introduces a bill that the OHP could only have Black and whites, because the "Specially marked units" were not easily recognizable as a Highway Patrol car! LOL!
I belive it :roll:
 

fivestarr

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
37
Location
Shawnee, OK
unmarked OHP units

There is an email making the rounds about 30 new unmarked cars assigned to a 'traffic enforcement blitz' for the next 30 days. Target: speeders. Unbuckled gets you an additional ticket. Source: 106.9 FM station. The email also claims troopers are expected to make a traffic stop every 10 min. to generate 9 mil.
 

dstew67

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
533
Location
Oklahoma
fivestarr said:
There is an email making the rounds about 30 new unmarked cars assigned to a 'traffic enforcement blitz' for the next 30 days. Target: speeders. Unbuckled gets you an additional ticket. Source: 106.9 FM station. The email also claims troopers are expected to make a traffic stop every 10 min. to generate 9 mil.
And it's a fake email. I checked with the OHP PIO, and they are investigating where the email started.
 

harriskwtvcom

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
14
Location
Oklahoma City
Those white CVPIs are usually driven by Troop Commanders and some Supervisors. Still, other "Supervisors" still drive the traditional black and whites--I think it depends on whether or not they are a Major or a 1st or 2nd Lieutenant. Other divisions of the OHP; executive security, investigations, and the PIOs have several different colors of unmarked units. Usually these units are much less equipped on the lighting side than a unit driven by a Troop Commander or shift supervisor who may actually run hot or make traffic stops.
 

red8

Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2004
Messages
613
Location
denham springs la.
We had something like that occur in Louisiana several year ago however the trooper was driving a solid blue Ford LTD and he stopped a state legislator for speeding and the legislature ordered the
State Police to do away with the solid unmarked cars they are allowed to have the slick tops. Infact around Baton Rouge there is a
solid white Chevy Tahoe with the boot (state logo) on the drivers
door only and the decal State Trooper on the front drivers fender.
The trooper that drives that unit are handling motorcarrier enforcement.(i.e. harrassing truckers)
 

car2back

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2004
Messages
3,010
Location
Tulsa, OK
crayon said:
LSP decals are pretty plain. Makes for an ugly patrol car IMO.
I agree on that. I like the Arkansas State Police's design with the blue "V" stripes on the hood!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top