White Plains FD & PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westchester1

Living 10 miles outside of White Plains why am I able to hear transmissions from White Plains PD and FD using an old Bearcat base station with the provided telescoping antenna and via a portable in my car (I know, I know) connected to a glass mounted antenna yet can't hear a thing with a new BCD996T with an antenna in the attic? The old Bearcat was hooked up to the same antenna and never had an issue.

comspec

Turn the attenuator OFF.

If you have Tone Squelch make sure it is correct and/or turn it off while troubleshooting.

That being said, it is most likely a problem with the antenna feed line. I know you said you used it with the old radio, but I still beleive this is the most likely cause.

Are you using any adaptors with the new radio that you were not using with the old (BNC to PL259??) or something like that.

Finally, does your portable work in the house? If it does try hooking that up to your attic antenna to see what you get.

If all else fails move closer to White Plains :)

WestchesterFreq

Premium Subscriber
Wsstchester1 - Did you ever figure out why you couldn't get WPPD or FD on your scanner? I live in Mt. Pleasant too and suffer from the same dilemma. Aggravating!

tjstroh42

I live about 5 miles from White Plains, i tune 460.400 in my scanner get good sound from W.P, Police.
i use BC 15X or Alinco D-10. no problems.

comspec

I know your fustration, there are a few systems and frequencies that give me a lot of trouble but I hear from others on the board that they have no trouble at all. I think individual scanners (even those from the same manufacture) sometime have different performances especially when they get a little older and the tolerences start to drift. Of course with your radio being new, it could just be it is less tolerant of an impedence mismatch between the feed line and the radio. Base stations tend to be a lot more forgiving then portables and usually have better sensitivity. My 20 year old base station pulls in signals better than my 1 year old portable. So your old radio may have been able to work with the old feedline where your new one won't.

My recommendation if you are up to it is to get a short feedline, climb into the attic and hook up you radio to the antenna. See if it makes a difference. If it does consider replacing the feed line or put a chair in the attic.

Last edited:

tjstroh42

White Plains freq 460.400

Any suggestions for something I should check, tjstroh42? Our scanners are almost identical.

Be sure freq is correct, set squelch as low as possible, be sure attenation is off if your radio has this feature.
Make sure your antenna is hooked up properly. also W.P. police has a second freq. it is 460.425, it is used when 460.400 is tied up or when needed by detective for a talk to talk. i wish i could help you more?
Would my phone # help?
I know it can be very frustrating, to listen and hear nothing. I live in Harrison NY only about 5 miles from the W.P. border.
Also, not a lot of action from W.P., you might try checking out 470.837, now this is NYC Special Operations Division, there is a lot of Police action coming across at all times of the day or night.this would be a good check to see if your scanner is picking up signals.
Best of luck and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

tjstroh42

WestchesterFreq

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate the last two posts very much. I'll need to go back in my programming software to see if all is set properly. I work for the city school district thus my interest. I live in Mt. Pleasant so distance can't be an issue. Attenation I need to check though.

What's most frustrating (for the past year and a half) on my older analog Bearcat 210XLT with the basic standard telescoping antenna or attic antenna all the WP frequencies come in fine.

tjstroh42

Again if i can be of help, also my son Tommy (33) is a special ed teacher Millenium Arts Acdmy. S Bronx, he is my computer set up man, i know nothing and cannot spell.
the 996T, is a top of the line Uniden Scanner, problem is the more complicated they get to program and use.
I like my Uniden 800XTL just a simple basic unit which i love to listen to, i recently sent back a HOMEPATROL1, as i was not pleased, like i said the basic units are easy to program and listen to, which is all i want.
Happy Thanksgiving

tjstroh42

tjstroh42

Thank you for your input. I am playing with my Alinco DJ-X10T, ( i have 2, don't ask me why) any suggestions on what is the better hand held wide band scanners out there. I just returned The HomePatrol1, i was not please with it, i believe it needs further development?
I have been playing with scanner for maybe 20 or more years, police, fire, EMS, and just plain listening to radio buffs doing their thing, i don't like to talk just like to listen and learn. + i like your line on scanners & outlaws.
tjstroh42

Status
Not open for further replies.