White Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix805

<Use the White Tanks Intellirepeater for the FD K-deck TG's. Again, you won't have the multipath issues with Simulcast G.>

MIB, I think you've suggested that in the past and it didn't soak in. I finally added the fire TGs to White Tanks and so far so good. Thanks for the reminder, I should have listened a long time ago! I guess I was so used to the multi-path interference I never thought of it as a problem until I heard the better White Tanks signal.

On a slightly different subject I have the roof antenna hooked up to the scanner today. I could never get the airport unless I was only a few miles away. With the roof antenna they're coming in loud and clear.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Yea, the FD K-decks, Peoria PD A-1, Surprise PD A-1 and the G-deck Interoperability TG's are heard much better on the White Tanks IR than on Simulcast G (or any of the other simulcasts for that matter) since it's a single site.
The South Mtn IR is also good for the G-deck TG's. I keep a scanlist specifically for interop, and I use both White Tanks and South Mtn for the G- and O-decks (MultiSite: Yes; Check All CC: Yes) on my PSR-500.
I wish Glendale PD, El Mirage PD, Avondale PD and Buckeye PD would put their main dispatch TG's on White Tanks as well. But it's rare for an agency to do something that benefits scanner listeners, even if there's a chance that doing so could benefit them in return. I guess there's just not enough stories out there of scanner listeners assisting an agency as their eyes and ears, when they are able to hear ATL's/BOLO's clearly.

Phoenix805

It's kind of odd...the only time I hear AirEvac is on White Tanks...and I'm over in north Tempe!

That is odd. White Tanks has good coverage, but I would think you could get better signals from somewhere else. But then I don't know much about AirEvacs radio system. I get most of their calls on channel 2, which I have listed as Maricopa. I'm not sure where I got that designation, RR? Does that mean Maricopa County (and probably White Tanks)? Or the town of Maricopa (probably not).

I also get quit a bit of traffic on channel 1, listed as dispatch. Again, I don't know where that is - White Tanks?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

155.325 (simplex) is the only channel I've heard activity on, for both regular AirEvac helo's and for HALO 151, which apparantly isn't actually dispatched by Phoenix FD Alarm, but is included in their dispatch, and is then actually dispatched by AirEvac dispatch.
In addition, there are, according to the Southwest Frequency Directory, 10th Edition, circa 2009:
153.530 (repeater) Downtown Phoenix
155.280 (Simplex) Phoenix Valley Backup
155.2875 (Repeater) Mt. Ord
155.295 (Simplex) Phoenix Valley Backup
155.325 (Repeater) White Tanks
159.1125 (Repeater) Downtown Phoenix
159.630 (Simplex) South Mountain
159.900 (Simplex) Shaw Butte

128.825 Helicopter Control
128.850 Fixed Wing Control

There are other simplex and repeater channels around the state listed.

Kars10az

HALO is actually dispatched by Phoenix RDC for calls initiated by the RDC, and then follow-up is provided by Air Evac dispatch. If Air Evac initiates a dispatch, it is dispatched solely by Air Evac..

KB7MIB

Ah, ok, thank you for the correction.

wlmr

Yea, the FD K-decks, Peoria PD A-1, Surprise PD A-1 and the G-deck Interoperability TG's are heard much better on the White Tanks IR than on Simulcast G (or any of the other simulcasts for that matter) since it's a single site.
The South Mtn IR is also good for the G-deck TG's. I keep a scanlist specifically for interop, and I use both White Tanks and South Mtn for the G- and O-decks (MultiSite: Yes; Check All CC: Yes) on my PSR-500.
I wish Glendale PD, El Mirage PD, Avondale PD and Buckeye PD would put their main dispatch TG's on White Tanks as well. But it's rare for an agency to do something that benefits scanner listeners, even if there's a chance that doing so could benefit them in return. I guess there's just not enough stories out there of scanner listeners assisting an agency as their eyes and ears, when they are able to hear ATL's/BOLO's clearly.

I think there are only 10 channels on the White Tanks IR. Your wish list exceeds that. It's possible that because the various PD radios aren't having the issues that scanners do that it was decided avoiding causing busy tie-ups because of a lack of channels is better than keeping us scanner listeners happy.

KB7MIB

All of the FD K & L deck talkgroups are up there, Peoria and Surprise PD have at least 1 talkgroup each up there, Buckeye PD has popped up on there at least once, all the the G- and H-deck interoperability talkgroups are up there. I'm not sure about Ocean deck interoperability talkgroups. There's also at least 2 Phoenix Goodyear-Litchfield airport talkgroup up there, and a couple of Phoenix public works talkgroups, and some encrypted Phoenix PD talkgroups. So I don't understand what you mean by there's only 10 channels up there. I'm only wishing for 4 talkgroups to be carried full time up there. 2 for Glendale, and 1 each for Avondale and Buckeye.

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
wlmr - Are you confusing channels (IE: frequencies) with Talk Groups? In General from what I remember from back in my public safety days each trucking channel/frequency supports around 150 Talk Groups which translates in some form to units per channel/frequency. The math for that is way over my head...LOL

radioguru6613

wlmr - Are you confusing channels (IE: frequencies) with Talk Groups? In General from what I remember from back in my public safety days each trucking channel/frequency supports around 150 Talk Groups which translates in some form to units per channel/frequency. The math for that is way over my head...LOL

Dr Erlang if I recall and for public safety it's about 90, commercial trunking systems is 150.

wlmr

I agree the math says that you can share the nine frequencies amongst a bucket-full of talk groups. Keep in mind that each frequency will only be handling one talk group at a time. The math is used to figure the odds of the frequencies being used up by talk group conversations because not everyone talks at the same time.

In the long run though there ends up being potential instances where the talk groups have to wait their turn for one of those nine frequencies. (One frequency being used for the control channel and the other nine available for talk group conversations.) The more talk groups allowed, the more likely all the frequencies being busy becomes. If the additional talk groups talk a lot the odds get worse.

Unfortunately for us who want to monitor something not heard from White Tanks, if the regular users of a talk group like Glendale, Avondale, and Buckeye aren't complaining about signal issues, there isn't a reason for the system people to put it on White Tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.