Who can solve me this mystery????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Direwolf131

Premium Subscriber
I am puzzled as to why I can capture heavy radio traffic from the Sawyer Co. Wisconsin jail for 1-5 weeks a year, then its gone for most of the rest of the year, its not digitized in some fashion, it just literally disappears???? I have absolutely no idea what the deal is, it just vanishes into thin air.... and by capture I mean its there all day long, dozens and dozens of captures each day whilst its available, easily the busiest traffic I catch on a Uniden 536HP, more so than the Sawyer Co Sheriffs office as it patrols county roads.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Everybody likes a good mystery but maybe we can get some hints to help. What kind of system is it and what is the frequency range. What season are the 1 to 5 weeks that you hear busy traffic? How far away are you and what kind of antenna are you using? Those are good starts.

Direwolf131

Premium Subscriber
Its the strangest thing, I wonder if they do not switch to a different system altogether, though why they would is a mystery.... I'm right in Hayward, the Sheriffs dept just 5-blocks away, and "poof" its gone just as swiftly as it showed up.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
I know absolutely nothing about this system but maybe they have a BDA (jails are notorious for being big attenuators) and the donor antenna is pointed at a different site than the one you normally listen to. Then once in a while a rouge radio affiliates to the site you normally listen to and you hear them.

Just a guess though.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Are you sure you have the correct sites programmed into your radio? WISCOM is multisite and the jail might have a nearby site you are ignoring until the odd time a radio affiliates on a different site near to you .

I didnt see Kevins reply till i responded. Thats probably whats going on.

Wiscom P25 trunked

No offense to the out-of-state people replying to this guy, but you don't know what's going on. FWIW, the answer lives in the very database that this website revolves around.

OP: The jail has it's own non-WISCOM channel located at the facility. Is this what you are trying to listen to? The jail doesn't use WISCOM natively. I suppose that once in a while the county may patch (accidental or otherwise) this channel into a WISCOM talkgroup, but don't expect jail traffic to be on WISCOM.

154.80000158.76750KTV630RM243 DPLSWJAILJailFMNCorrections

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Sorry, out of state guy again...

I looked at the database and see no Sawyer County jail TG. I (wrongly) assumed you were hearing them on a TG marked just for them. So what TG are you hearing them on? This would have been good information to supply from the beginning. :p

Direwolf131

Premium Subscriber
I know absolutely nothing about this system but maybe they have a BDA (jails are notorious for being big attenuators) and the donor antenna is pointed at a different site than the one you normally listen to. Then once in a while a rouge radio affiliates to the site you normally listen to and you hear them.

Just a guess though.
Maybe thats it, whatever it is, its spectacularly strange, for an average of three weeks each year you get them pretty much all day long, then "poof" gone for the remainder of the year...

Direwolf131

Premium Subscriber
No offense to the out-of-state people replying to this guy, but you don't know what's going on. FWIW, the answer lives in the very database that this website revolves around.

OP: The jail has it's own non-WISCOM channel located at the facility. Is this what you are trying to listen to? The jail doesn't use WISCOM natively. I suppose that once in a while the county may patch (accidental or otherwise) this channel into a WISCOM talkgroup, but don't expect jail traffic to be on WISCOM.

154.80000158.76750KTV630RM243 DPLSWJAILJailFMNCorrections

Hope this helps.
I wondered if that was the case, for some reason they are just using wiscom for a short period for some unknown reason, then reverting back, it seems that is just what is going on. As for my radio I am using a uniden 536HP which programs directly from this site, its spot on, literally with everything else statewide up to speed and date and I update it twice each month! Because I'm rural I range it at 30 miles, if I were in a major metro I'd just go 10, but up here in the national forest you have to really open things up so as to capture the other county sheriffs...

RFI-EMI-GUY

What named talkgroup are they showing up sporadically? Could they be assigned a normally dormant TG that is normally patched and only comes alive on the WISCOM when a user switches from conventional to WISCOM? Maybe the warden takes time off a couple weeks and his radio affiliates only when he is away at home?

box23

@Direwolf131, how did you determine you were hearing jail communications via WISCOM? As others have asked, can you provide the TGID you heard them on? Additionally, were you able to determine if the communications were originating from a single radio ID or multiple?

Is it possible you are scanning both conventional and WISCOM and mistakenly determined it was through WISCOM when it was really the conventional channel? I would also highly encourage you to monitor the conventional frequency for digital waveforms during the times they disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.