Who Has A Good Price Currently On The Uniden HP-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
A guy at work mentioned yesterday that he might want an HP-1. Who has a good price on those right now?

bee

I will have a HP-1, I bought in May-2011 for sale, with a GPS, in about three weeks.. Have a 536 ordered.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to list one on Ebay Sunday if you're interested

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
Lowest New Price: Fry's Electronics

I'm a late comer to the HP-1 scene, though I have a couple of 536s and a 436 which I purchased earlier in the year. I became hooked on the HP-1 after visiting a journalist friend's office (late spring) and sought out the HP-1 everywhere, including Internet & many stops to random RS stores to get in on a "clearance deal"..

What I found was that although Fry's has a $450ish price tag, when I asked about a $399 price match at the register, it actually rang up for $360ish with tax.

This was about 8 weeks ago.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
You might want to mention to your buddy that Uniden screwed its customers on there current new radios so he knows support or updates could be questionable. Until Uniden comes out with the advertised features on these 436 and 536's, I wouldn't recommend any products from Uniden to anyone until then.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And yet the delayed release of the Analyze & Siren features have no bearing on the support history for the HP-1. What advertised features of the HP-1 are still "under development" or otherwise unreleased? Uniden did drop the ball with the x36 scanners, but I don't see the same thing having happened with every previous scanner model.

Boatanchor

That said, Uniden are still struggling to produce a 'final' firmware version for the HP1 too.
Beta releases are coming out on a drip feed occasionally, but it shows that even legacy HP style products are not without their problems - Still..

As a manufacturer, one of the worst things that can happen to you is that you release a new product and four years down the track, you are still investing considerable man hours, of what must be very limited human resources, into fixing software problems while at the same time having to produce 'fresh' new products and sorting issues out with them too.

It's certainly not an enviable place to be in..

That said, Uniden are still struggling to produce a 'final' firmware version for the HP1 too.
Beta releases are coming out on a drip feed occasionally, but it shows that even legacy HP style products are not without their problems - Still..

As a manufacturer, one of the worst things that can happen to you is that you release a new product and four years down the track, you are still investing considerable man hours, of what must be very limited human resources, into fixing software problems while at the same time having to produce 'fresh' new products and sorting issues out with them too.

It's certainly not an enviable place to be in..
Isn't everyone giving updates??? Apple, Microsoft, Sony ??

Boatanchor

True, but all of those companies have Engineering staff numbered in the hundreds supporting 'Global' products that sell 10's of thousands, if not 100's of thousands, of units worldwide.

They have the resources to maintain legacy product support as well as new product development simultaneously.

I would wager that Uniden's scanner section (I'm talking hardware and Software development Engineers) probably total less than 5 staff in North America and maybe 10 or 20 in Japan.

Apples and Cumquats :)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

Yes, just like Google, Apple, and Microsoft still have not produced final versions of their OS, and are constantly posting updates.

There is a stable non-beta version of the firmware for the HP-1

Status
Not open for further replies.