Who Has Air Ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have a list of law enforcement agencies and fire departments in California with air operations divisions?

In the Sacramento area we have

Sac Sheriff - Full time operation - http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizat...gional_services/special_operations/airops.cfm
Sac PD - Full time operation
Sac Metro Fire - Staffed during summer - http://www.smfd.ca.gov/airops.htm
Placer Sheriff - Staffed by Placer County officers who volunteer - http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/UnitsandDivisions/AirOperations.aspx
Yolo Sheriff - Staffed by all volunteers - http://www.yolosheriffsaerosquadron.com/

Last edited:

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Down here in Orange County we have:

Orange County Sheriff: Duke 1, 2 and 3
Anaheim PD: 26-Angel
Costa Mesa/Newport Beach PD: Eagle
Huntington Beach: HB1
Orange County Fire Authority: Copter-41, 241, 341
CHP H50, H52 H62 and Air51(fixed wing)

commstar

Premium Subscriber
East Bay Regional Parks Police - Eagle 3 , 4 (Alameda +Contra Costa Co,( daylight only ops)
San Jose PD 'Air One' Idaho-1
Oakland PD 'Argus' 4ADAM50
Contra Costa Sheriff Starr-1
CHP- Golden Gate Division- Napa Airport Air30, H32
San Francisco PD (defunct w/ crash 2000)
San Mateo Co Sheriff Heilcopter (defunct early 80s)

Lt51506

San Bernardino County has several "KING" units. Not sure how many, haven't been there for awhile. I know as of 2006 they had:
6 Astar B-3's
1 MD500E
2 Bell UH-1H's
1 Bell 212
1 Sikorsky H-3

LT

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
commstar said:

I believe Napa Co Airport (KAPC) has CHP Air 31 (Cessna 206), and H30 (AS350B), with H32 being located at Moffet Federal Airfield (KNUQ) in the south bay (I heard sharing a hangar with Santa Clara county and SJPD's helicopters).

Eng74

KCFD H-408 (UH 212) will be adding a 2nd one within the next year it will be H-407 or H409. Also are asking for bids for a new Air Attack plane.

kma371

QRT
commstar said:
East Bay Regional Parks Police - Eagle 3 , 4 (Alameda +Contra Costa Co,( daylight only ops)
San Jose PD 'Air One' Idaho-1
Oakland PD 'Argus' 4ADAM50
Contra Costa Sheriff Starr-1
San Francisco PD (defunct w/ crash 2000)
San Mateo Co Sheriff Heilcopter (defunct early 80s)

Contra Costa Sheriff STARR2 as well

jlanfn

California Database Admin
Lt51506 said:
San Bernardino County has several "KING" units. Not sure how many, haven't been there for awhile. I know as of 2006 they had:
6 Astar B-3's
1 MD500E
2 Bell UH-1H's
1 Bell 212
1 Sikorsky H-3

LT
Also CHP H-80 and Mercy Air 1 in the valley areas.
The sheriff's patrol helos go by "40-King-#", and I believe the Bell helos go by the callsign "Air Rescue #".

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
jlanfn said:
Also CHP H-80 and Mercy Air 1 in the valley areas.
The sheriff's patrol helos go by "40-King-#", and I believe the Bell helos go by the callsign "Air Rescue #".

CHP H-80, Air 81, and Air 83 are based out of Daggett Airport east of Barstow.

SBSD's helos are known as '40-King-##" when on law enforcement missions, and "Sheriff's Air Rescue ##" when on fire or rescue missions. The callsign varies depending upon the radio net and mission. SBSD's fixed-wings are called "40-Air-##". The sheriff's medics who staff the helos are "40-Mary-##"

Radio_Lady

I believe these are the correct current numbers for LAPD and LAFD

LAPD has
- thirteen Aerospatiale B-2 Astars (plus one more getting fitted out)
- four Bell 206 Jet Rangers
- one UH1H "Huey" Helicopter
- one King Air 200 turboprop fixed wing

LAFD has
- four Bell 412s
- one Bell 206L-3

JT-112

All I can say is "wow."

While I travel a lot (a LOT) to California, I live in the midwest, and in my extended area of listening, we have basically NO air coverage. Sure, lots of medevacs, we're up to speed there but as far as fire and LE, nada.

Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota... Sure, there are some fixed-wing aircraft that go up from time to time, but that's either for speed enforcement or tracking hazmat plumes. Yes, Chicago FD has a helo but it's not up very much at all.

Terrain and weather has a lot do do with it, of course, but if you think there are LE helos across the whole country, think again.

Radio_Lady

sixtytwo said:
All I can say is "wow."
LAPD, for instance, has such a huge populated area (about 1½ times as large as New York City) and about half as many officers per 1000 people, so they've used helicopters for regular patrol since the late 1960s, actually since the mid 50s for traffic.

From http://www.lapdonline.org/search_results/content_basic_view/1437 here's L.A.'s description of the copters' "force multiplier" effect, probably similar to other PDs' reasoning:

ASTRO is the Department’s "Force Multiplier," enabling a smaller work force to complete assigned and assumed tasks.

When utilizing an LAPD helicopter and ASTRO aircrew over the scene:

▪ Fewer ground-based officers are required at crime scenes and perimeters.
▪ Ground-based officers have a significantly increased sense of security.
▪ Ground-based officers are kept in tactical advantage and out of questionable situations.
▪ Vehicle pursuit management is positive, direct and reduces associated liabilities.
▪ Ground-based officer injuries and deaths are significantly reduced.​

Status
Not open for further replies.