• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Who is going to Dayton Hamvention 2019?

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Can't this year my son is graduating from college. I have gone very consistantly since 1976 when there only was the Hara arena itself no out buildings, and across the street were corn fields and no street. Every one parked down at the Mall and took the bus due to very little available parking.
In 1976 I had just been discharged from the USAF, flew home on the Monday to NY before I hopped back into a friends car (1972 Fury 1 440) drove to Mississippi to get things I left behind and then headed directly back North to Dayton. We were in the car for 3 straight days.
When we got to Dayton at around 11pm Friday we slept on the floor of another USAF persons home in the Dayton area one night and another's floor on base the next night. Drove back after noon closing on Sunday, and I have been hooked ever since.
I miss the old Hara, but it was really in bad shape due to infighting by the siblings. Where it is now is just ok, it is spread out a lot more which makes for a lot more walking, and a lot more difficult walking due to dirt and grass. I will be back next year so I am sure so see you all next year.
BTW going for my Extra next time out.

kruser

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I have gone very consistantly since 1976 when there only was the Hara arena itself no out buildings, and across the street were corn fields and no street. Every one parked down at the Mall and took the bus due to very little available parking.
Is the old Hara arena a thing of the past? If so, when did it go away from the hamfest?
It was still at Hara arena when I was last there. The actual vendors were all indoors and the hamfast swap meet part was the entire parking lot outside the arena.

The first year I went, I had no idea how big the event was and quickly learned I was not getting a room at any local motels! One local motel did find me one room at a local "notell" that they gave me for a standard cheap all night rate. It was the only room in town I was told.
Later trips, we once slept in the car at a rest stop somewhere in Indiana I think because we could only stay for one day and then later trips, I made arrangements to camp at a nearby campground that offered free bus service to Hara arena and back again. I think the bus's ran every 30 minutes to an hour which was not bad at all. The bus cost was probably built in to the campground cost as they always asked if you were camping to go to the hamfest before every giving you the price.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Like to hear comments from all you folks, but its nice when you can see the Convention from your back yard, Living here in Xenia is a dream come true!!!
I'm actually applying for an income-dependent apartment in Xenia. The John Sale Manor (a 9 story complex). That will make volunteering at the Hamvention so much more convenient! :cool:

Is retired considered low income? Can I get some good apartment living in Dayton cheap? Of course I would want a top floor with access to the roof.

I'm actually applying for an income-dependent apartment in Xenia. The John Sale Manor (a 9 story complex). That will make volunteering at the Hamvention so much more convenient! :cool:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Is retired considered low income? Can I get some good apartment living in Dayton cheap? Of course I would want a top floor with access to the roof.
Income-dependent means that monthly rent is determined by your annual gross income. My SS is so low that a 1 bedroom apartment would be around $300/month, utilities included. There are some antennas already on the roof, but I have no idea if anyone would be allowed to put their own up... :unsure:

This specific property is for 55 and older only. According to what the manager told me, there is a four to six month waiting period before an apartment will become available.

There are however many other such income-dependent properties available in the surrounding area.

I think my tax bracket would have to change before I could qualify. They would also be suspicious when the apartment is only occupied during Hamvention.

Income-dependent means that monthly rent is determined by your annual gross income. My SS is so low that a 1 bedroom apartment would be around $300/month, utilities included. There are some antennas already on the roof, but I have no idea if anyone would be allowed to put their own up... :unsure:

This specific property is for 55 and older only. According to what the manager told me, there is a four to six month waiting period before an apartment will become available.

There are however many other such income-dependent properties available in the surrounding area.