Who is going to Dayton Hamvention 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Look for me to be there. I'll be the one with a bunch of HT's in my tactical radio vest. :) Seriously, I'll be arriving on Thursday for my "training" (even though I've driven a six-pax cart for the past several years). It should more properly be called "orientation" since each year our routes change. I'll work all three days from 7am until 7pm.

I'll be staying in Jeffersonville, OH about 17 miles south east of Xenia, the same hotel I stayed at year before last. I made my reservation back in January, but even so snagged the last room they had available, so I sure hope you've got your room booked! :whistle:

12dbsinad

Never been, would like to!

Are there available camping areas on site for RV's? With or without hookups?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
There is, but alas it was booked solid for this year before last year's Hamvention was over. Mostly it is booked by the vendors with booth, and flea-marketers. Generally speaking, reservations for private campgrounds within a 30 mile radius must be made months before the event, as are hotel and motel rooms. Shoot, even the "notells" are filled up too! :LOL:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Since I'm a volunteer golf cart driver, I needed to stay close by. Jefferson Township is about 17 miles from the fairgrounds. Most of the rooms in Xenia are reserved several years in advance, actually they are technically "standing reservations" for regulars.

prcguy

Many times we arrived in Dayton or nearby towns for the hamster fest to find the hotel accommodations all screwed up and no room available, even though we booked 6mo in advance. There has always been lots of rooms available in the area and we usually find something right across the street from the place that screwed up our reservations.

This year a friend is driving me from the Dallas area to Dayton. Long drive, but the same guy used to drive from So Cal to Dayton and back. That's hard core.

Richmond IN still has rooms, it's about an hour drive.
I may go, missed the last 2 years.

mitbr

Since I'm a volunteer golf cart driver, I needed to stay close by. Jefferson Township is about 17 miles from the fairgrounds. Most of the rooms in Xenia are reserved several years in advance, actually they are technically "standing reservations" for regulars.
Thanks for volunteering I am sure many people appreciate your help ,oh and thanks for your service!!
Unfortunately I wont be attending.
Tim

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Most hotels will take names for next year's reservations. If we like the hotel, we'll reserve again for next year. Enough of us go that if someone can't make it, the room is used by someone else.

Attended my first one in '87, missed '01 due to a new job, and haven't missed a year since.

Only had one reservation screwup when the hotel was renovated and didn't receive their occupancy permit in time. Found that out when we arrived. They rebooked us just north of Cincinnati which wasn't ideal due to the long drive but at least the price was right.

For me, Dayton turned into a social event. Get to catch up with old friends over a beer or two. Gone are the days when you went to Dayton to find that elusive item for your shack.

prcguy

I've been going to Dayton for about 25yrs, mainly to find that elusive grease I was told about that can lower your SWR. Haven't found it yet but I keep going back cuz its gotta be out there somewhere.

I only missed Dayton one time in 25yrs when my niece mistakenly scheduled her wedding for that weekend. She should have known better and the friends I travel to Dayton with tried to convince me to go anyway stating I could always attend her next wedding. That's the kind of group I hang with.

Most hotels will take names for next year's reservations. If we like the hotel, we'll reserve again for next year. Enough of us go that if someone can't make it, the room is used by someone else.

Attended my first one in '87, missed '01 due to a new job, and haven't missed a year since.

Only had one reservation screwup when the hotel was renovated and didn't receive their occupancy permit in time. Found that out when we arrived. They rebooked us just north of Cincinnati which wasn't ideal due to the long drive but at least the price was right.

For me, Dayton turned into a social event. Get to catch up with old friends over a beer or two. Gone are the days when you went to Dayton to find that elusive item for your shack.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
When I finally do attend, I have a feeling I will be driving a U-Haul back to California.

It seems odd to me that the Visalia DX convention does not allow a flea market.

Status
Not open for further replies.