Who is going to Dayton Hamvention 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Can't this year my son is graduating from college. I have gone very consistantly since 1976 when there only was the Hara arena itself no out buildings, and across the street were corn fields and no street. Every one parked down at the Mall and took the bus due to very little available parking.
In 1976 I had just been discharged from the USAF, flew home on the Monday to NY before I hopped back into a friends car (1972 Fury 1 440) drove to Mississippi to get things I left behind and then headed directly back North to Dayton. We were in the car for 3 straight days.
When we got to Dayton at around 11pm Friday we slept on the floor of another USAF persons home in the Dayton area one night and another's floor on base the next night. Drove back after noon closing on Sunday, and I have been hooked ever since.
I miss the old Hara, but it was really in bad shape due to infighting by the siblings. Where it is now is just ok, it is spread out a lot more which makes for a lot more walking, and a lot more difficult walking due to dirt and grass. I will be back next year so I am sure so see you all next year.
BTW going for my Extra next time out.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have gone very consistantly since 1976 when there only was the Hara arena itself no out buildings, and across the street were corn fields and no street. Every one parked down at the Mall and took the bus due to very little available parking.

Is the old Hara arena a thing of the past? If so, when did it go away from the hamfest?
It was still at Hara arena when I was last there. The actual vendors were all indoors and the hamfast swap meet part was the entire parking lot outside the arena.

The first year I went, I had no idea how big the event was and quickly learned I was not getting a room at any local motels! One local motel did find me one room at a local "notell" that they gave me for a standard cheap all night rate. It was the only room in town I was told.
Later trips, we once slept in the car at a rest stop somewhere in Indiana I think because we could only stay for one day and then later trips, I made arrangements to camp at a nearby campground that offered free bus service to Hara arena and back again. I think the bus's ran every 30 minutes to an hour which was not bad at all. The bus cost was probably built in to the campground cost as they always asked if you were camping to go to the hamfest before every giving you the price.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Like to hear comments from all you folks, but its nice when you can see the Convention from your back yard, Living here in Xenia is a dream come true!!!
I'm actually applying for an income-dependent apartment in Xenia. The John Sale Manor (a 9 story complex). That will make volunteering at the Hamvention so much more convenient! :cool:

prcguy

Is retired considered low income? Can I get some good apartment living in Dayton cheap? Of course I would want a top floor with access to the roof.

I'm actually applying for an income-dependent apartment in Xenia. The John Sale Manor (a 9 story complex). That will make volunteering at the Hamvention so much more convenient! :cool:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Is retired considered low income? Can I get some good apartment living in Dayton cheap? Of course I would want a top floor with access to the roof.
Income-dependent means that monthly rent is determined by your annual gross income. My SS is so low that a 1 bedroom apartment would be around $300/month, utilities included. There are some antennas already on the roof, but I have no idea if anyone would be allowed to put their own up... :unsure:

This specific property is for 55 and older only. According to what the manager told me, there is a four to six month waiting period before an apartment will become available.

There are however many other such income-dependent properties available in the surrounding area.

prcguy

I think my tax bracket would have to change before I could qualify. They would also be suspicious when the apartment is only occupied during Hamvention.

Income-dependent means that monthly rent is determined by your annual gross income. My SS is so low that a 1 bedroom apartment would be around $300/month, utilities included. There are some antennas already on the roof, but I have no idea if anyone would be allowed to put their own up... :unsure:

This specific property is for 55 and older only. According to what the manager told me, there is a four to six month waiting period before an apartment will become available.

There are however many other such income-dependent properties available in the surrounding area.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't think it's been at Hara for at least the past year.

But, that Tornado finally put that place out of its misery. Hara was a dump when I attended a few years ago. I'm surprised any of it is still standing after that storm.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

But, that Tornado finally put that place out of its misery. Hara was a dump when I attended a few years ago. I'm surprised any of it is still standing after that storm.

Looks like mostly roof damage to the older parts of the facility.

A commenter in another forum (might have been eham) allowed that he believed the Wampler family hired the tornado. I have to admit, when I heard it had been hit by the tornado I hoped that it had been flattened. Put it out of it's misery is indeed what's called for.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
It's been four years since DARA had the Hamvention at Hara. Three years so far at the Greene County Fairgrounds in Xenia and each year has gotten better. Next year will see at least one new building available, possibly two new buildings.

This year we were blessed with wonderful weekend with rain only on Thursday night and very early Friday morning. Several hours before the gates opened the sun had come out and rapidly dried most of the area.

When I heard on the news that Trotwood had been hit, the first thing I thought of was the old Hara Arena. Frankly it didn't look to be in much better condition than before the tornado...

The Wampler family haven't had any pecuniary interest in the Arena since it was sold for back taxes about a year ago to a speculator.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Wampler family haven't had any pecuniary interest in the Arena since it was sold for back taxes about a year ago to a speculator.
You are correct. A court-appointed receiver sold the property to a Cincinnati company almost exactly one year ago for $27,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.