Who is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I added 464.100 [CareFlite - Cedar Hill (CERN Tower)] several weeks ago and this last week I have heard communications not related to CareFlite operations. Police or security type of conversations with a pronounced Southern accent. Signal is strong and clear when heard.

BC780 w/ RH77CA ant in Grapevine

Anyone have any ideas?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I added 464.100 [CareFlite - Cedar Hill (CERN Tower)] several weeks ago and this last week I have heard communications not related to CareFlite operations. Police or security type of conversations with a pronounced Southern accent. Signal is strong and clear when heard.

Anyone have any ideas?
That same frequency (464.100) is licensed to a number of users in the area, including DISD security/police, and several hotels.

To only hear the CareFlite related ops, be sure that you enter the pl tone (123.0), & enable tone/code squelch on your 780.

af5rn

I leave that channel programmed in 24/7 and have never heard anything except for CareFlite, and my conventional scanner doesn't even have PL. Even CareFlite comes in weak and scratchy in Southwest Arlington/Mansfield, which seems strange. They must not be up on one of the big towers.

Are you hearing the other users on repeaters or direct?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I hear both sides of the conversation equally well. I never thought of using PL. I will have to pay attention to the PL tone to help identify the site.

Thanks
mike

I leave that channel programmed in 24/7 and have never heard anything except for CareFlite, and my conventional scanner doesn't even have PL. Even CareFlite comes in weak and scratchy in Southwest Arlington/Mansfield, which seems strange. They must not be up on one of the big towers.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

There's quite a few licensees on 464.100. Many of them are probably used simplex, but if you were close, to the user, you'd hear them. As noted, a number are hotels. DISD used to use this as their security channel (they now also have some officers who are certified as police officers). I've also heard some security/police ops on one of their other frequencies in the 'T' band. Not much that interests me, so I don't actively monitor them.

CareFlite is on a approx 300 ft tower, just southeast of Cedar Hill, and across the line into Ellis County. If you know where Ch. 11's tower is, look S/E. You'll see another tall tower (not sure, exactly, whose that is, but may be for one or more digital TV stations). You'll see another one past that one. That's CERN. The main antenna 'farm' at Cedar Hill may be in your signal path to that tower, and attenuating the transmissions.

nd5y

CareFlite is on a approx 300 ft tower, just southeast of Cedar Hill, and across the line into Ellis County. If you know where Ch. 11's tower is, look S/E. You'll see another tall tower (not sure, exactly, whose that is, but may be for one or more digital TV stations). You'll see another one past that one. That's CERN. The main antenna 'farm' at Cedar Hill may be in your signal path to that tower, and attenuating the transmissions.

The 1600 foot tower on Tar Rd. is owned by Richland Towers
http://www.richlandtowers.com/OpenHouse/OpenHouseDisplay.asp?p1=3&p9=I&Cat=119
It has these TV stations:
KDTN 2
KDTN 43
KTXA 21
KTXA 18
KDFI 27
KDFI 36
KDAF 33
KDAF 32
KDTX 45
KTAQ 47
KSTR 49
KSTR 48
KLDT 54

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
hiegtx,

Thanks for the list, more than I would have expected on one frequency. I don't use PL tones so the functionality to keep different licensees from stepping on each other is overlooked. Next time I hear them I will listen to the traffic and monitor the PL tones to see what I can figure out. What little I did hear was not significant, but I thought it was odd that medical helicopter operations would be in a position to contend with ground operation.

There's quite a few licensees on 464.100. Many of them are probably used simplex, but if you were close, to the user, you'd hear them. As noted, a number are hotels. DISD used to use this as their security channel (they now also have some officers who are certified as police officers). I've also heard some security/police ops on one of their other frequencies in the 'T' band. Not much that interests me, so I don't actively monitor them.

RESCUE4NFD

CareFlite at one time used Cern Tower all the time,but since they have so many Trunk Systems and Air(Dallas) and (Ft.Worth) they don't use it much anymore.I scan it all the time and the last time I heard CareFlite on Cern was 6 months ago.Hope this helps...

af5rn

I hear them everyday, so they are definitely still using it (assuming you are talking about 464,1).

What exactly does CERN stand for, and is it owned by CareFlite, or do they just lease time and space there?

According to that map, it's almost straight down 287 from me. I am south of Cedar Hill, so the towers aren't between us. Strange that it doesn't come in better here.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm also hearing them on 464.100 (CERN tower) regularly, as in daily. Usually the initial dispatch is on the trunk system, but I hear the various copters check with dispatch on 464.100 either enroute to the scene, or when headed back with the patient loaded. I'm maybe 12 miles from the tower site, with no obstructions in between.

What exactly does CERN stand for, and is it owned by CareFlite, or do they just lease time and space there?
No idea for sure; suspect it refers to whoever owns the tower. There are several repeater platforms spaced along that structure. CareFlite, or whoever maintains their system, probably leases space on one of these for the repeater & antenna.

af5rn

Usually the initial dispatch is on the trunk system...
What trunk system? The only trunk system I am aware of is the one they run ground EMS on in Johnson County.

Many EMS systems have radio networks that end in "ERN", for "Emergency Radio Network", I believe. In Houston, it's HAHERN (Houston Area Emergency Radio Network), so I was assuming that this might be the case on CERN, but it doesn't make that much sense to name a single channel for one agency, so I'm not sure.

SCPD

QRT
I hear Careflite more and more on 131.4500 doing patient reports and LZ chatter more than any onther frequency licensed to them.

mbstone99

Careflite

Anyone have any ideas?

The only other activity i have heard on this frequency is on I believe PL 103.5 which is DISD Security. I am guessing most likely that is what you are hearing.

Matt

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
It was PL 103.5. Asked for a registration check for a vehicle in a parking lot next to a building. Dispatch came back with a name and occupation of all things. Not that the registration address would mean much, but would help pin down the location some.

thanks, matt

The only other activity i have heard on this frequency is on I believe PL 103.5 which is DISD Security. I am guessing most likely that is what you are hearing.

Matt

af5rn

There were FOUR DISD police cars at the Market Hall gun show yesterday, and at least four uniformed officers walking around inside shopping. Your tax dollars at work.

I didn't think to look at their radios, but as big-time as their cars looked, you'd think they'd be using something better than that.

SCPD

QRT
There were FOUR DISD police cars at the Market Hall gun show yesterday, and at least four uniformed officers walking around inside shopping. Your tax dollars at work.

I didn't think to look at their radios, but as big-time as their cars looked, you'd think they'd be using something better than that.

No, they were working OFF-DUTY at a rate of NO LESS then $35.00/Hour billed directly to Market Hall and paid in CASH at the end of the event. And with NO MORE Authority than your Run of the mill Security Officer .....

Also, I believe Dallas Red Cross has a PL tone on that Frequency as well.

Last edited:

af5rn

No, they were working OFF-DUTY at a rate of NO LES then $35.00/Hour billed directly to Market Hall and paid in CASH at the end of the event. And with NO MORE Authority than your Run of the mill Security Officer .....
Interesting. I don't think they showed up until around 3pm. Before that, there was just a steady stream of DPD cars out front (in the fire lane). No less than four at any given time. If DISD was there working security in official cars, I've got some phone calls to make.

Parkland Hospital cop was also there in uniform, but I didn't see a car. Lots of pseudo public safety types whack themselves out for gun shows just to avoid the $7 dollar door price.

SCPD

QRT
I know for certain DPD can work off-duty in Uniform, In City Equipment and with a Police radio and Charge as high as 35 to 45 bucks an hour. Yet when you Look at the Texas Security laws, that Cop has the exact same Authority as a Level-III Commissioned Security officer. The PMH cop prolly caught the train or walked over. I figured DISD could do the same.

Back to the topic though, 464.100 is one of the last few Conventional repeaters remaining. But, if that same frequency is licensed to an LTR in McKinney for example, then your going to hear Much more but maybe assume they don't have a PL tone.

I knew CF, DISD and someone else "special" was on that tower. The other night I did hear Dallas Red Cross on it, But I believe there are some more "Dallas Specific Users" on that tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.