Who is Joe Bearcat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Also maybe a line-level output for recording (logging)...
The SDS200 already has digital audio streaming output via its RJ45 network port, which is much better than an analog line-out. It works great with ProScan and other software...

MStep

Indeed I join others in welcoming you to the forums. Folks have mentioned not turning this welcome into a "wishlist", but I wonder if it would be possible to add a "Wish Lists" category in the Uniden forums, particularly in regardto the SDS series. I know many folks have contributed suggestions for improvements to the SDS series in the various forums, but I am not sure I have seen them consolidated in one place.

WB9YBM

The SDS200 already has digital audio streaming output via its RJ45 network port, which is much better than an analog line-out. It works great with ProScan and other software...

Good info--thanks! Although I haven't moved up to digital recording yet--was still using a tape deck until recently.

radiopro52

Nice to finally have a Uniden representative back on the forum. We were really wondering if Uniden was going to throw in the towel at this point. Every scanner I've owned has been Uniden or made by Uniden, and I wasn't planning on ever changing that.

Welcome aboard and I look forward to what's coming.

WoodburyMan

Welcome Joe! Glad to see a Uniden Rep on the forum here once again. I was getting a bit weary with no official posts from Uniden for a long time and I'm happy to hear some SDS series patches are in the works. There's some bugs with P25 Phase II talkgroups I've been experiencing, the SDS100 and SDS200 I have seem to have trouble with simulcast distortion with them where SDRTrunk, DSDPlus have no problems with the same antennas/feeds. Hoping that's one of the bugs being looked into. Just glad in general to know the products are well supported.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Joe, are the NOISE and ERROR labels you refer to shown in the display? I don’t see them on my SDS200. Possibly because I don’t use the analyze function? I use RSSI and the 5 bar S meter...

I wrote a reply, but in trying to attach an image, it was erased.

In Sentinel, edit the display EDIT / EDIT DISPLAY. You can then select the items to display on the scanner. I believe RSSI, NOISE, and DIGITAL ERROR COUNT may only be available on the DETAIL screens. I will attach an image of my personal setup for better clarification. It shows Detail Conventional but my trunked is nearly identical.

Attachments

• SDSdisplay.jpg
    SDSdisplay.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 69

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Hi JB, thanks for chiming in here it is very much appreciated! No need to apologize, just don't let it happen again! ;)

Yes, sir.

It's unfortunate Uniden didn't have the foresight to hook you up with Paul and do a Vulcan Mind-Meld to acquire all he knew!

Believe me, I wish that were possible. I still do not know to what extent Paul documented his future plans (especially for the SDS series), but I hope to find out. When I consulted with him on a project in May of 2019, I wanted to ask him a lot of questions, but at the time his voice was marginal at best, and I wanted him to save it for his presentations. Many of our 'discussions' were "made-up sign language". I did handle one of the presentations for him (there was a morning session and an afternoon session), and on the last day of the conference the President of Uniden America personally asked me to take over for Paul, but that session was largely ad-lib (small group) and I let Paul continue as long as he wanted. It was not easy struggling with the desire to do as the Pres asks vs letting Paul run the show, but I had to honor Paul's wishes over all others since I was there to help him. However, I do not blame Mark (the Pres) for asking. We both were looking out for Paul's welfare. Looking back I made the right call in letting Paul call the shots. During that time he had gone in for some tests but had not heard the results yet. If he had the test results back he would not have been allowed to fly to the conference. Later that month Paul went into the hospital, and was not destined to "live long and prosper" (see what I did there?)

It is still difficult to accept a year later.

All that said, I do know some of his major scanner plans, and fully intend to follow through on those. I have also already submitted an idea for a new model that is something we really have not seen before. That's about all I can say on that.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Okay, enough of that pseudo-serious stuff. Let's get down to the important information. What's the significance of one toe missing on the avatar?

One is missing? I see three - same as several scanners next to me. Regardless, please don't read into that. It was a logo chosen as an avitar to help identity. It's too early for Easter eggs.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Indeed I join others in welcoming you to the forums. Folks have mentioned not turning this welcome into a "wishlist", but I wonder if it would be possible to add a "Wish Lists" category in the Uniden forums, particularly in regardto the SDS series. I know many folks have contributed suggestions for improvements to the SDS series in the various forums, but I am not sure I have seen them consolidated in one place.

Good idea.

For now, my focus on on 'catch-up' - addressing things that have been missed over the past year. This mainly involves firmware issues, the Uniden TWIKI, and bugs, and will eventually include wish list items, but please let's hold off on that for now. We want to get the existing features working right first. Then we can improve.

That said, I have another thread where I ask for help identifying missed items:

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Yes, sir.

Believe me, I wish that were possible. I still do not know to what extent Paul documented his future plans (especially for the SDS series), but I hope to find out. When I consulted with him on a project in May of 2019, I wanted to ask him a lot of questions, but at the time his voice was marginal at best, and I wanted him to save it for his presentations. Many of our 'discussions' were "made-up sign language". I did handle one of the presentations for him (there was a morning session and an afternoon session), and on the last day of the conference the President of Uniden America personally asked me to take over for Paul, but that session was largely ad-lib (small group) and I let Paul continue as long as he wanted. It was not easy struggling with the desire to do as the Pres asks vs letting Paul run the show, but I had to honor Paul's wishes over all others since I was there to help him. However, I do not blame Mark (the Pres) for asking. We both were looking out for Paul's welfare. Looking back I made the right call in letting Paul call the shots. During that time he had gone in for some tests but had not heard the results yet. If he had the test results back he would not have been allowed to fly to the conference. Later that month Paul went into the hospital, and was not destined to "live long and prosper" (see what I did there?)

It is still difficult to accept a year later.

All that said, I do know some of his major scanner plans, and fully intend to follow through on those. I have also already submitted an idea for a new model that is something we really have not seen before. That's about all I can say on that.

Wow. What a read. You sir, are a real gentlemen in allowing Paul to continue his work, and quite honestly let him feel normal right up until the bitter end. You honor Paul’s memory in continuing his work, and you have nothing but sincerity and admiration from us. We look forward to the many things to come!

“He’s not really dead, as long as we remember him.” 🖖

Status
Not open for further replies.