Who is running Ubuntu OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poikaa

Ishpeming,Michigan... A Yooper! "In Da U.P.&q
I gave up on most of my Windows machines and installed Ubuntu, have not looked back! Though I have kept my lap top with Windows Vista and a second one with Win7 just so I can keep iTunes.
No problems so far with blue screens and virii! I use Fire Fox borwser most of the time....

73 poikaa

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've been running Linux Mint (a derivative of Ubuntu) on one of my systems, and my wife's laptop for a couple years now. It works great!

frazpo

I use ubuntu to run Zoneminder on a laptop for IP security cams. I also run a feed on a Raspberri Pi.
Love Linux.

CapStar362

only non windows in my network? a Smoothwall NOS PC for my router..... a Ipad, couple of Kindle Fire HD's, and android phones

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
I run linuxmint 64-bit on all computers, I run two Ubuntu 64 server, one for file and access, the other to run all my tvs in my house (plex tv). I run Ipfire for my firewall and town wide wifi on my tower. I stop using windows in 1997.

(one server the big-one is a RAID server, three 3T harddrive)

Attachments

• 10453364_668557333225501_2372675903365097392_n.jpg
    10453364_668557333225501_2372675903365097392_n.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 98

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
For anyone thinking about running Linux, you can download it for free, legally. If you want to test-drive it, you can make a bootable DVD, and run it directly from there, prior to committing to a full image installation.

Or install it on an old computer you're no longer using. Use it as a test/learning platform!

Ubuntu
The leading OS for PC, tablet, phone and cloud | Ubuntu

Linux Mint
Main Page - Linux Mint

Information on all the Linux distributions can be found here:

DistroWatch
DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

CapStar362

have any of you ever tried Smoothwall? it is Linux Based.... i know about IPFire, Smoothwall is more than a firewall though. its a stand alone routing ( Network Operating System ) comes with a Software SPI Firewall, and many many more features. including one i find intriguing.

lets say someone decides to DDOS you or any kind of attack..... you can set Smoothwall to "return" the favor back to them. :)

when it does return, it will lock down any LAN>WAN/WAN>LAN Traffic preventing any exploits from going out or getting in. its only momentary while it returns the favor, and they will be like huh?

you can also use disk enc for logs relating to any traffic. i have a couple log files on some people that wish i didnt have them.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
All this Linux talk made me think, it had been awhile since I updated the wife's Sony VAIO laptop. I updated it today from Linux Mint 13 (Maya), to Mint 17 (Qiana). While it looks almost the same, the update was worth the effort. Performance increased substantially!

I also bought her a new HP All-In-One DeskJet 2450 at OfficeMax for $69. The printer & flat-bed scanner were automatically recognized, and work great!

Status
Not open for further replies.