Who is using P25 Phase II ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwegena

I am looking for information on the P25 Phase II APCO radios. Who is using them, what brands are being used and is anyone experiencing any troubles with them? Thanks!

troymail

Silent Key
Real subscriber radios? You mean like Maryland State agencies and various Maryland counties?

I'm certain most if not all of the radios on Maryland FiRST are Motorola (APX?)

St. Mary's County is a Harris system (and radios as far as I know) but Maryland State Police on that system are likely Motorola.

Carroll County is Motorola and probably Motorola radios.

Same for Prince George's county

In Maryland, to my knowledge, all other P25 systems are Phase 1.

boatbod

Talbot Co DES and associated agencies use Motorola APX radios, both vehicle mounted and portable. AFAIK the whole statewide FiRST system is Motorola based.

KC3UYF

Premium Subscriber
Real subscriber radios? You mean like Maryland State agencies and various Maryland counties?

I'm certain most if not all of the radios on Maryland FiRST are Motorola (APX?)

St. Mary's County is a Harris system (and radios as far as I know) but Maryland State Police on that system are likely Motorola.

Carroll County is Motorola and probably Motorola radios.

Same for Prince George's county

In Maryland, to my knowledge, all other P25 systems are Phase 1.

St. Mary's County is indeed using a Harris system with Harris Radios (M7300 mobile, XG-75 portables) for all County users. MSP is using Motorola, not sure which specific radios, but they are Motorola.

DisasterGuy

Worcester is Phase 2 (system in testing with only 2 channels and 2 Sites at the moment). Harris XG15p, XG25p, XG75pe, XL200p, XG25p, XG75p, XG100p, P7200 and Motorola APX6000 and APX6500 Phase 2 Subscribers. Phase 1 limited operation with Harris P5100 and P7100 subscribers

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
Worcester is Phase 2 (system in testing with only 2 channels and 2 Sites at the moment). Harris XG15p, XG25p, XG75pe, XL200p, XG25p, XG75p, XG100p, P7200 and Motorola APX6000 and APX6500 Phase 2 Subscribers. Phase 1 limited operation with Harris P5100 and P7100 subscribers

Spent a little time in Snow Hill on Thursday... low power testing? I assume that's one of the two initial testing sites. Curious - where is the other one?

DisasterGuy

Spent a little time in Snow Hill on Thursday... low power testing? I assume that's one of the two initial testing sites. Curious - where is the other one?
Currently Central Site (Newark) and Nassawango (between Snow Hill and Wicomico line on MD.12) are online. The remainder are waiting on fiber and microwave work to be completed. Mystic Site (West Ocean City) is pending tower construction. All sites except for Mystic should come online over the next 45 days.

troymail

Silent Key
Currently Central Site (Newark) and Nassawango (between Snow Hill and Wicomico line on MD.12) are online. The remainder are waiting on fiber and microwave work to be completed. Mystic Site (West Ocean City) is pending tower construction. All sites except for Mystic should come online over the next 45 days.

Thanks -- those two sites seem pretty close in proximity... as are MSP Berlin and Mystic but maybe not and that just seems to be the case. I assume this is either some type of redundancy protection and/or to achieve the 95% in building coverage that seems typical.

Mystic doesn't appear on the license....yet.

Should be interesting....after all these years of EDACS....

DisasterGuy

Environment and historic review are still being finalized for Mystic (pre-requisite for licensing). There are a tone of factors in site placement and a fair amount of directional and or electrically tilted antennas are required. In particular the Nassawango site helps offset the significant vegitation attenuation of the Pocomoke Forest and Mystic is required for the high attenuation construction in West Ocean City and vegetation attenuation into the South Point area.

troymail

Silent Key
Ok - thanks.... This is slightly off-topic but it sounds like you might know... how are SYSIDs and other things like RFSS/site values coordinated/assigned? I've just always wondered....

DisasterGuy

Ok - thanks.... This is slightly off-topic but it sounds like you might know... how are SYSIDs and other things like RFSS/site values coordinated/assigned? I've just always wondered....
There isn't a lot of coordination / assignment. Motorola places all systems on the same WACN for some reason. They are the only vendor that does this. Harris, Tait, Airbus, etc all use a calculator to select the WACN either based on FCC call sign or a system name. From there the SYSID is the next lower level and outside of Motorola is generally customer assigned. Harris also refers to the SYSID as the "Region". In the Harris world each region can have its own geo-diverse high availability network switching centers (cores). In the system being discussed here, Worcester County and Ocean City will each share the same WACN but be two different regions (different SYSID).

The RFSS and Site ID requires no coordination as it only needs to be unique within the region / sysid.

troymail

Silent Key
There isn't a lot of coordination / assignment. Motorola places all systems on the same WACN for some reason. They are the only vendor that does this. Harris, Tait, Airbus, etc all use a calculator to select the WACN either based on FCC call sign or a system name. From there the SYSID is the next lower level and outside of Motorola is generally customer assigned. Harris also refers to the SYSID as the "Region". In the Harris world each region can have its own geo-diverse high availability network switching centers (cores). In the system being discussed here, Worcester County and Ocean City will each share the same WACN but be two different regions (different SYSID).

The RFSS and Site ID requires no coordination as it only needs to be unique within the region / sysid.

Reading between the lines - after switching to P25, it looks like Worcester and Ocean City will return to being two different systems in the RRDB like they were before someone realized they were two sites of the same EDACS system and made them one (although I guess that might not be true since I think I've seen other systems with more than one SYSID).

EDIT: yeah - maybe not: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4699

DisasterGuy

Worcester and Ocean City will be more of the same system than they are today as they will share a singular database set and users will be able to roam between the systems without any user intervention. Currently even though Talk groups and Individual Calls pass between systems, there are actually two distinct databases and end users must manually switch between systems. That will not be the case going forward.

Separating into different regions (sysid) simply allows the systems to operate both at 100% if completely disconnected from each other. It also make some governance issues easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.