Who listens to "multiple" scanners at one time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8qln

Ok, here's my question.

For those that have more than 1 handheld or base unit, what is the strategy for having more than 1 scanner on at 1 time?

I see pictures of guys with 4, 5, or 6 scanners, and I wonder what is the benefit?

I only have a Pro-97 and I feel compelled to buy another one, just by seeing everyone's elaborate setup. Is it an addiction thing?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014

blinddog50

KC,
To give you an example of the need for multiple scanners.
Last April there was a CMPD officer that was shot serving an arrest warrant.
The ensuing standoff lasted several hours.
During the standoff I had four scanners going:
A PRO-2096 for swat.
A PRO-96 for crime scene command.
A PRO-97 for medical updates at the hospital where the officer was sent.
A BR330T for I-calls.
Without having multiple scanners you only get half the action as it takes place.
These were just the ones I had running that day.
I started to open the drawer that every long time scanner has.
And those that I speak of know what I mean.

gatorhater

As a rule, I generally use one at a time. But, on Fridays as traffic increases on the radio with PD and Fire being overrun, I'll have all 3 on at the same time. Also, if we get heavy/severe weather I'll have them all on staying ahead the local media.

Sonar

I can only listen to multiple scanners in the comfort of home. When out and about, just one.

rbm

kc8qln said:
Ok, here's my question.

For those that have more than 1 handheld or base unit, what is the strategy for having more than 1 scanner on at 1 time?
The ideal is to have one radio per channel or talk group that you want to listen to. That is the only way you won't miss some percentage of what's happening. So, anything less than that is a compromise. It's a matter of how much activity you don't mind missing.

I have a minimum of 20 scanners running 24/7 in my den. I also have one in the living room and one in the kitchen so I can follow events as I move around the house. I even have one mounted on my tractor with a fixed antenna and GaAs Fet preamp. It helps pass the time while I'm mowing.

Talking only conventional frequencies for example, I would rather have 30 scanners with 10 channels each than only one scanner with 300 channels. It's amazing how much you're missing otherwise.

For example, if there's a major accident in my area, I'll hear the PD's on one or more scanners, the Fire Dept. on another, EMS on another, and Medevac helicopters on another all at the same time. If I weren't monitoring on so many scanners, I would only hear snippets of various conversations rather than the whole event.

You might want to try a test if you have two scanners. Lock one on your most desired frequency for a few evenings. And on the second scanner scan everything including your most desired frequency. I think you'll be surprised at how much you're missing using just one scanner.

Around 20 years ago a friend of mine asked why I had more than one scanner. We talked about it for a while and as we talked I could see the light come on. He now has around 30 scanners of his own and carries three handhelds everywhere he goes. Every once in a while I ask him why he needs more than one scanner and we both get a big laugh over it.

Last edited:

rbm

I should also add an example of what multiple scanners will let you do.

Having lots of scanners allows me to scan and log rarely active frequency ranges. Around once a year I'll set up five scanners or so to search and log different 200 khz segments of the federal frequency ranges. I'ill log and record 'almost' every single transmission in those ranges.

That allows me to map out the activity on various ranges at the rate of around 1 mhz per week. In only a few weeks, I'll pretty much know what's active in my area. Even those transmissions that are digitally encrypted will let you know that something is happening nearby.

rpowley

I normally listen to 1 or 2 at a time. I did find myself listening to 4 at one time last night, due to a multi county chase.

red8

i remember when i was deputy we were allowed to have personal
radios in our private cars but there strict conditions in having them
in my personal car i had a bearcat 250 scanner,a motorola vhf low
band radio with 2channels 39.500 statewide and our dispatch channel
39.54 PLUS a motorola 40 channel cb radio this was in a plain
beige 81 pontiac grand prix an when i was out in the car they were
all on. people would wonder how i could keep up with it all. but
does manage.
red8

LedZeppelin

I keep my Pro-2006 locked on my hometown PD's frequency at all times, and I use my 246T to scan all the action elsewhere.

wyldman

I guess I'm like most others,with multiple units going all the time.

I usually have one scanning police,and two or three going for a few different fire departments.

When the action starts,I will tune the scanners to what I what to hear,and leave them on those channels.That way I don't miss anything.For some major events,it's not uncommon to have 5 or 6 on the go to get everything.2 for Fire,2 for police,1 for EMS and one just scanning for other stuff.

If it's late,I may just use one for local FD.

Once you have had multiple scanners,it's hard to get by with just one.If you live in a busy area,you never realize just how much your missing when your listing to just one thing.

ace755

I usually have 3 going, one for VHF/UHF, one for Fire/EMS, and one for 800 Trunked.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Glad to see it's not just me. From working endless years in EMS, especially some where PD dispatched us or were somehow involved with the service. You tend to develop an ability to listen to PD, FD, CMED, etc all at once and it comes in handy when you are signing on, etc and the cops are on scene saying multiple patiens down, perp still out there, fd setting up command post short distance away, crap like that oh yeah and CMED or 60 control trying to coordinate a bunch of it. But the fun stuff is doing it at home, oh is that a trip. Wife going off as you're listening and telling her what you're actually hearing that she can't. Although I have to say over time she has developed the nack to an extent. LOL!!!

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Ditto all the above...you develop a second sense when more than one is scanning...hearing something makes you stop and take notice and turn one or more down to hear what is going on.

I have one on the local PD...another on FD...another on the highway patrol and a fourth on the ATC for the local airport!!! And then at times, the 2 meter radio going at the same time.

Been this way for YEARS!!!

hemi

Well...my wife thinks iam crazy but i have 2-3 going at all times. I use a 250d for police and ambulance on fleetnet,a realistic 2040 locked on my local fire and 1 upstairs locked on fire. Now, i would really like to do is wire the house with speakers on switches..switch a for kitchen,b for upstairs c for outside and on and on.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.