• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Who owns Who

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
Was reading some of the posts and wanted some clarification

-Motorola owns Vertex- slowly phasing their product line out
-Harris has controlling interest in Tait? thought it was a license agreement
-JVC Kenwood has EF Johnson, andZetron<?>
-RELM is now BK

Everyone is building radios off Chinese designs

flametamer

This was just posted on urgentcomm this morning:
L3Harris Technologies and Tait Communications have altered their sales arrangement in North America, resulting in co-branded radio products being sold only through L3Harris direct channels as of the beginning of this month, according to sources for both companies.

For the past four years, Tait Communications and L3Harris have allowed their respective dealer channels to sell products from the other manufacturer under a strategic partnership announced in 2016. At the time, officials for Tait and Harris—the name of L3Harris prior to last year’s merger with L3—noted the complementary aspects of the arrangement, in terms of both technology offerings and sales coverage provided by the respective dealer channels.

In addition, the two companies announced plans to sell co-branded LMR radio products, that dealers could sell to the market. Under the new arrangement, these co-branded products will be sold only by the L3Harris direct sales team, not individual dealers.

Dt

romanr

That’s a good thing. We’ll fill the void or shortage with good old American made radios and companies, along with continuing to boost our economy.

I'm seriously curious: which companies do you consider to be making "good old American made radios"?

EF Johnson is owned by JVCKenwood out of Yokohama, Japan.
Motorola Solutions builds most of their radios in Malaysia.

Last edited:

flametamer

I'm seriously curious: which companies do you consider to be making "good old American made radios"?

EF Johnson is owned by JVCKenwood out of Yokohama, Japan.
Motorola Solutions builds most of their radios in Malaysia.
Good question. Harris radios are "Made in the USA from imported parts"

Dt

MT911

Premium Subscriber
And JVC kenwood owns a 40% stake in Tait as well

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Yeah and Apple, Samsung, car makers, etc. do the same with parts and assembly done somewhere else. THAT is the whole point. Now is the chance to at least bring some it back to be done here in the US.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Yeah and Apple, Samsung, car makers, etc. do the same with parts and assembly done somewhere else. THAT is the whole point. Now is the chance to at least bring some it back to be done here in the US.
That ship has sailed. Manufacturing of this kind of stuff stateside ended decades ago. It isn't coming back. Why? too many raw materials are not made here anymore, raw materials make component parts- guess what else isn't made here anymore: component parts. The addiction that corporate America has with cheap (slave) labor isn't going away.

If you think equipment is expensive now, add the "MADE IN USA with USA MADE COMPONENTS"= triple the cost.

romanr

I don't think that's going to happen as long as the 'Robber Barons' are running Corporate America.

Companies went to countries where they paid less for a day's labor than they used to pay for an hour's labor in the US.
Did the product prices reflect that decrease? No, but the CEO bonus went up. Why would they bring manufacturing back to the US? What is the financial incentive?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
My father-in-law retired from Ford. Some time before I was in the picture, their family went on a trip, and ended up with a Toyota as a rental. He got upset when he saw that the Toyota was assembled in the US, with a higher domestic parts content than Ford vehicles. (The fact that the car was a quality vehicle was just icing on the cake.)

kikito

Premium Subscriber
If you think equipment is expensive now, add the "MADE IN USA with USA MADE COMPONENTS"= triple the cost.

The only reason it might be “triple the cost” now is due to strangling regulation, taxes and unions, which is the whole reason all that stuff went abroad in the first place.

“It isn’t coming back...”? But continue with the same old defeatist narrative...

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I don't think that's going to happen as long as the 'Robber Barons' are running Corporate America.

Like I said just recently, the only reason we might have issues with some of that is due to strangling regulation, taxes and unions, which is the whole reason all that stuff went abroad in the first place.

“All about the big bad evil CEOs”? But continue with the same old Leftist defeatist narrative...

romanr

Like I said just recently, the only reason we might have issues with some of that is due to strangling regulation, taxes and unions, which is the whole reason all that stuff went abroad in the first place.

“All about the big bad evil CEOs”? But continue with the same old Leftist defeatist narrative...

I guess politics are inevitable in such discussions, but the 'left vs right' is pointlessly divisive.
It is a ALL about money and nothing is coming back without financial incentive of one form or another.
If manufacturing comes back to the US, it will because it can be done through automation at a lower total cost than through manual labor.

The average working-class US citizen is not going to adopt the accepted standard of living common to the Asian labor market - not for long. For this reason, it is folly to think that these labor-intensive manufacturing jobs are going to return to the US.

JDrisc3480

All the companies that make these radios are no different than the auto makers. They all copy off each other. For example the Ford F150, Dodge Ram and Chevy Silverado are all basically the same truck but with each companies little tweaks to them to make them their own. Another example is the new Ford Bronco that is coming out. When I saw the picture of it the first thing I thought of it that it looks like a Jeep Sahara.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The only reason it might be “triple the cost” now is due to strangling regulation, taxes and unions, which is the whole reason all that stuff went abroad in the first place.

“It isn’t coming back...”? But continue with the same old defeatist narrative...
As my late mother said, "I'm in reality. Won't you join me?"

Defeatist or realist?

Corporate America shut down and sold us out. Period. End of discussion. It wasn't "big guvment" or "unions" or "regulations". The last 3 years, they've had a green light to do as they please and their actions speak so loudly it drowns out their "we're in this together" ad campaigns full of guano.

Let me know when GM, Ford, Fiat/Chrysler,Motorola Solutions, HP,insert US company here start breaking ground on NEW manufacturing facilities and will be hiring all those who have been kicked to the curb over the past 3 decades. It isn't gonna happen. Real talk. Reality. It is what it is whether you, I or anyone like/agree/disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.