• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Who sells FRS ONLY radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed a bunch of FRS/GMRS hybrid radios. Does anybody sell any plain FRS radios and MURS radios? A license is not required for FRS and MURS. Is this correct?

nd5y

As of 2017 there is no such thing as FRS/GMRS dual service hybrid radios.
All of the FRS/GMRS combo radios that have 22 channels (no repeater inputs) max 2 watt output on the 462 MHz frequencies (0.5 W on 467 MHz) and a built in non-detachable antenna were reclassified as FRS radios and no longer require a GMRS license.

For more information on this refer to the links to the FCC rule changes at the top of this wiki article.

MURS and FRS don't require an FCC operator or station license but you are only allowed to use FCC Part 95 certified equipment.
There are no FCC certified FRS/MURS dual band dual service radios.

Last edited:
Okay. Thanks. What about just MURS radios without FRS. Does anybody sell these?
So I can get a GMRS radio and I will not need a license?
How would I prevent a radio from accessing a repeater if I do not need a license?
Is it true what they say about the mileage range for GMRS in the web advertisements? Can these miles be achieved without a repeater?

kny2xb

These are sold in Canada, but they say that they will ship to the U.S.

$25.34 US dollars per pair plus shipping, duty, customs, etc
The final cost may not be worth it to you

But these have the FRS channels only as opposed to the 22 channel ones

Canadian FRS is 0.5 watt output on all 14 channels evidently

nd5y

Yes. Motorola, Ritron, Dakota Alert, BTECH and some others make MURS radios.
No. All GMRS radios require a GMRS license.
How would I prevent a radio from accessing a repeater if I do not need a license?
The radios that don't require a license are not capable of repeater operation. They are simplex only and don't include the repeater input frequencies.
Is it true what they say about the mileage range for GMRS in the web advertisements? Can these miles be achieved without a repeater?
No. Don't believe ads. Anything that says 30 mile range or similar is BS. Your actual range depends on many factors.

nd5y

Is Canadian FRS on the same frequencies as American FRS?
Before 2017 the US and Canada had the same 14 FRS channels with 0.5 W power limit.
Now the US FRS has 22 channels with 2 W on most channels.
I think those radios are classified as GMRS in Canada but I'm not sure about that.
The wiki link in post #2 has links to the Canadian regulations.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Before 2017 the US and Canada had the same 14 FRS channels with 0.5 W power limit.
Now the US FRS has 22 channels with 2 W on most channels.
I think those radios are classified as GMRS in Canada but I'm not sure about that.

Canada uses the same 14 FRS channels as the USA, as well as the 8 primary GMRS channels. A legal FRS radio in Canada will have 22 channels, run 2 watts or less, and have a non-removable antenna.

These are sold in Canada, but they say that they will ship to the U.S.

Do not do this.
Any radio used in the USA on FRS and/or GMRS frequencies is -required- to have FCC type certification. Buying radios from outside the country can result in getting a radio that does not have that. Unless you know for 100% sure the radio has a valid FCC Part 95 certification, you shouldn't be using it. No exceptions.
Also, that radio only has the 14 "FRS" channels. It's only 0.5 watts. And Baofeng is generally considered bottom of the barrel for radios. There's a reason why they are selling two of them for such a low price (remember to figure in the exchange rate on US$ to CDN$)

Get yourself a couple of the Motorola consumer grade GMRS radios.

Hans13

I have noticed a bunch of FRS/GMRS hybrid radios. Does anybody sell any plain FRS radios and MURS radios? A license is not required for FRS and MURS. Is this correct?
An entrepreneur tried to bring a great idea to market, a MURS/GMRS radio that could switch firmware on startup to be compliant, but a group of ham Fudds went far out of their way to shut him down. They doxxed him online, they made much nashing of teeth online, they complained and complained to the FCC, and finally won out in the end. It was a disgusting display of arrogance, ignorance, and stupidity.

The concept was nothing new and even I had suggested it before... Upon power-up, the radio could be put in MURS mode or GMRS mode. This would theoretically comply with FCC compliance requirements because the radio could only operate in one mode or the other at any given time. With the thousands upon thousands of radios certified by the FCC under grey or even false pretenses, before and after the debacle, a radio cliche chose this particular model to go after with great fervor. Of course, the FCC cared because of the complaints. Otherwise, it would be on the market today instead of people just programming up MURS, GMRS, FRS, land mobile, and amateur frequencies on on radio in opposition to FCC regulations.

Hans13

The same company that tried to bring the combination radio to market still sells the BTECH GMRS-V1 and MURS-V1. The former is an FCC approved GMRS radio and the latter, of course, is the same for MURS. These use a CCR base model with a specific firmware to lock them down.

There are a batch of CCR radios that have come to market which have the FCC blessings for FRS. Of course, their paperwork is far more dodgey than that of the GMRS/MURS radio that was going to be available.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Probably the best legal MURS radio on the market is the Ritron PT-150M. My brother in law is using those for his tower crews. He's been running them for a couple of years without issue.
Programming software is free.

These are probably out of the budget range for most hobby level users, but they've found a market in construction.

Technically they are not lying.
Usually the advertisements will say something like "Up to 30 mile range". And it's true. If you and a buddy were each on top of a high hill or mountain 30 miles apart with an uninterrupted line of sight between both of you, it's very likely you'd get 30 miles range. Remember, amateur radio operators can talk to satellites with 1/2 a watt.
But in any sort of real world application, you are not going to see 30 miles. What you'll get is the "Up to" part. 500 feet falls inside the "Up to 30 mile range" claim. A few watts on UHF with inefficient antennas and poor receivers is probably going to get you 1/4 to 1/2 a mile at best. In some cases you can do better, but you'd really not want to rely on that as a common occurrence.

bill4long

You need a license for GMRS radios. (But not FRS radios that use the shared FRS/GMRS frequencies)

Here's a decent low cost MURS radio. I have them and they work well.

This is a GMRS variant of the same radio (requires license)

Status
Not open for further replies.