• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Who still uses Jedi radios ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I have an MTX-LS 800 LTR radio and a couple of UHF MT2000s. Great radios. You don't see too many MTX-LS radios anymore, so I held on to it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Pretty much. With more channels. Having a radio with more than 2-8 channels IMO definitely needs an alpha display.

Absolutely.

Issue with the displays was they are notorious for losing pixels. There are some fixes that work, but a lot of the used radios you find on line will have crapped out displays. It was always kind of a big deal when I ran across an older MTS-2000 at work that had a fully functional display.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I love my Jedi's!!!! Here's my collection:
* 1 Motorola HT1000 16-Channel 5/1 Watt (VHF) Full Keypad Handheld (Model #H01KDC9AA3DN) (Engraved w/BNSF Railroad)
* 1 Motorola HT1000 16-Channel 5/1 Watt (VHF) Full Keypad Handheld (Model #H01KDC9AA3DN) (Engraved w/NS Railroad)
* 1 Motorola HT1000 16-Channel 5/1 Watt (VHF) Full Keypad Handheld (Model #H01KDC9AA3DN) (Engraved w/UP Railroad)
* 1 Motorola HT1000 16-Channel 4/1 Watt (UHF) Handheld (Model #H01SDC9AA3DN)
* 1 Motorola MT2000 Full Keypad 160-Channel 5/1 Watt (VHF) Handheld (Model #H01KDH9AA7AN)
* 1 Motorola MT2000 Full Keypad 160-Channel 4/1 Watt (UHF) Handheld (Model #H01SDH9AA7AN)
* 1 Mototola MTS2000 Top Display 48-Channel 4/1 Watt (UHF) Handheld (Model #H01RDD9PW1BN) (Flashcode 0200010000007)
* 1 Motorola JT1000 16-Channel 5/1 Watt (VHF) FPP Handheld (Model #H01KDH9PA3AN)
* 1 Motorola JT1000 16-Channel 4/1 Watt (UHF) FPP Handheld (Model #H01SDH9PA3AN)

Only thing I notice with them is the receivers tend to not block out interference very well if I don't have the PL Tone on receive. For example we have a local repeater (146.670) and at my house something causes interference on that frequency and with a couple of my Jedi radios the interference won't unmute the speaker until the repeater keys up. Once the repeater keys off the interference starts in the speaker and I have to move the radio around to mute the speaker again. Other than that I love em!!!!!!!!

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
The JEDI series radios were my absolute favorite line of Motorola radios. I still have (7) DN versions of the HT1000 I use as hand out radios for events and EMA operations. I used to maintain a fleet of almost 200 HT1000/MT(S)2000's. They are solid, unshakable radios. My last good VHF MTS2000 finally died over the winter (I would love to get another 48 channel top display MT(S) if anyone is looking to rehome one!)

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I've got some UHF HT1000s. Solid performers and my only wish is that I hadn't sold a box of 30 2 channel VHF variants 6 years ago as they would be really handy now (I've since made a full UHF to VHF migration for my ranch comms).

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Only thing I notice with them is the receivers tend to not block out interference very well if I don't have the PL Tone on receive. For example we have a local repeater (146.670) and at my house something causes interference on that frequency and with a couple of my Jedi radios the interference won't unmute the speaker until the repeater keys up. Once the repeater keys off the interference starts in the speaker and I have to move the radio around to mute the speaker again. Other than that I love em!!!!!!!!

That dreaded bug hit my JT1000. A few times a transmission will end and it will open squelch like the monitor button was pressed. Tried turning up the squelch numbers works a little but still does it, pushing on the housing doesnt do it either. opened it up and did a little reassembly but still does it occasionally. IRC, theres was a tsb on the jedis for something like that with shielding

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Great radio. I've still got a VHF MTS2000 I fire up from time to time, although with an XTS5000 III and Astro Saber III (both VHF P25) it doesn't get used much. Last time I fired it up the display was fine, fortunately.

Everybody at work loved the MTS2000 but the flaky display caused us to start moving to the XTS5000 long before we migrated to P25; they were handy for interop with OSP on "Old MARCS" but by the time we went to P25 they were getting pretty long in the tooth and the APX series was the primary new radio.

N4KVE

For people with UHF/VHF radios with bad displays, just buy the 800 radio with a good display, as they are extremely cheap. Swap the front covers over, & all is good. Most sellers will mention whether the “pixel” problem is there, or if the display is good. And should the plastic on the 800 front cover be beat up, it takes minutes to swap the electronics to your clean front cover. No tools required at all to take a Jedi apart. Done this many tImes.

EWC_BDN

MTX838s. MTS2000s and MCS2000s are still almost common around here with EMS. The 838s don't work for that use, but a few people use them as single site radios.

Trunking radios are expensive so people hang onto everything. These MTS2000s are used everyday by some EMS personnel though i think the front line guys are mostly XTS25000s.

All getting replaced with APX soon though. Idk how they'll like the new stuff. The Display on the Jedi radios is very very poor by modern standards.Especially since they aren't even working on many of them. APX displays are streets ahead for sure.

mbnv992

Ha glad to hear so many others also likes the Jedi radios !

Yes - the displays did tend to go bad on a lot of them. Luckily my MTS top display is perfect so far ( knock on wood ). I keep a VHF and UHF radio in my “go bag” for emergency’s. That way I always have something with me. VHF for MURS and UHF for GMRS. That way if the cell phones **** the bed we’d have backup comms.

As cheap as these radios are now they are a no brainer. Heck, I even picked up a $18.99 2500MAH battery from EBL. Works like a charm, fits nice and snug and lasts for well over a day. Even picked up a commander 2 newer “waffle style” mic BNIB for $32 shipped. People are practically giving the stuff away since it’s so outdated now. But people somewhere still has a use for it ( like me and others here too it seems ! ).

RFI-EMI-GUY

What are folks using for batteries for these old JEDI radios? Is there a lithium ion battery that wont break the wallet? How about knobs? I am keeping a slew of Systems Sabers going and these are the two critical parts.

Edit I see the post above regarding battery from EBL yet their website does not list it.

Last edited:

mbnv992

I bought the EBL batteries from eBay ( AKA “brokenstolenradios.com” )

So far, they have definitely proved to be very good batteries for under $20 shipped. Can’t go wrong.
Another very good aftermarket battery maker I found ( at least for my old GP300 radios ) is iMax ( also on eBay ) - but iMax does not make Jedi battery’s ( at least from what I could find ).

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I too have a few EBL 2500mah from 2018 that are going strong, the quality is very good compared to the aftermarket crap you usually expect, and they have the original design where theres notches on the sides.

Knobs can be had with aftermarket housings. They are good quality housings and come with plastic knobs that wont disintegrate like the originals, except you will have to super glue your original side connector, I glued it on then used the supplied dust over to set the glue for a day. To remove I use pliers to pry around the edges of the old housing and the connector pops right out with a little help and no damage to itself

There's aftermarket suppliers for saber knobs these days. Lots of aftermarket Motorola housings, knobs and parts these days. I find it kinda funny they've invested in making new GP300 and GP88 housings these days

mbnv992

I find it kinda funny they've invested in making new GP300 and GP88 housings these days

Speaking of GP300’s - those are going cheap as dirt too now. Just picked up two mint UHF models with a like new charger and two speaker mics for $35 shipped to my door. Bought 2 iMax batteries for almost as much as the radio package. Had them programmed up and now use them as backup / radios for my go bag.

jruta

Speaking of GP300’s - those are going cheap as dirt too now. Just picked up two mint UHF models with a like new charger and two speaker mics for $35 shipped to my door. Bought 2 iMax batteries for almost as much as the radio package. Had them programmed up and now use them as backup / radios for my go bag.
Loved my GP300. Solid little radio

jruta

I’ve had HT1000, MTS2000 radios. Absolutely loved them. These days I only have a mint (bought new) Visar DN revision uhf for local monitoring. APX for the rest.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What are folks using for batteries for these old JEDI radios? Is there a lithium ion battery that wont break the wallet? How about knobs? I am keeping a slew of Systems Sabers going and these are the two critical parts.

Edit I see the post above regarding battery from EBL yet their website does not list it.

Wiscomm sells parts for them. Or, find someone that used to run a bunch of them, chances are they've got old parts laying around.

I've not had any issues finding new batteries for them. Not sure about LiIon, I'm sure they are out there, but never bought any. I have a number of NiMH for the two JT-1000's that I purchased recently.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Wiscomm sells parts for them. Or, find someone that used to run a bunch of them, chances are they've got old parts laying around.

I've not had any issues finding new batteries for them. Not sure about LiIon, I'm sure they are out there, but never bought any. I have a number of NiMH for the two JT-1000's that I purchased recently.
Power Products makes Lion's for them. I also believe they are FM/UL rated as PP had a customer who had a 1500 Jedi "army" and committed a minimum 2,000 unit order if they would go through the process of getting them rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.