Who uses Google Earth for incident monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STiMULi

As stated earlier Google Earth 4 (beta) is out.

http://earth.google.com/

http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

The interface is better and takes up less screen space.

I like to queue up on an area where an incident starts. As it progresses I track it with a slight tilt. If you are one of the lucky ones where your area is 3D capable there is a bit more reality to the event.

I use a trackball mouse to move around and control the functions.

Almost like being there

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
I use it for bombing / close air support exercises. Wait until they send co-ordinates in the clear and put them in.

It's interesting to hear the pilots describing features on the ground that you can see on Google Earth:
"The target is just to the north of the wooded area which is an exact square, confirm?"

:D

nashscan

Umm...I think I'm a little confused. When I use Google Earth, some of the images are years old. And you guys are seeing things in REAL TIME????

Please clue me in.

STiMULi

Yes! Of course I get real time!!!

Right now I see you there in Southern Davidson County and I can even see your cat!

richster

People who think they are viewing "Real-Time" images from Google Earth are smoking crack!!

Not even Google earth's PRO edition offers real-time.

Here is a link where google answers their most commonly asked questions such as real-time access. Please make note of the answers to questions 1 and 2.

http://earth.google.com/faq.html#2

Nashscan this should answer your question. People like pulling your leg I suppose.

Regards,
Richster.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
nashscan said:
Umm...I think I'm a little confused. When I use Google Earth, some of the images are years old. And you guys are seeing things in REAL TIME????

Please clue me in.

I can tell you for sure the image is around 2 years old. The dust collectors we installed at our work are not even there and its been over 2 years.
Take care

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
It's at least 4+ years old - my house is still showing my old Pontiac Grand Am in the driveway and I sold it 4 years ago!

34 03 28.70 84 28 48.09

RISC777

The house I moved out of two years ago doesn't show...just dirt roads for construction traffic.

Go-24

Ive been using google maps , most of the satellite maps they from my area have are 5+ years old. Out of curiosity I think I will have to check out google earth.

radio10-8

YES! I have used Google earth to set up perimeters, mark entry and exit roads for search warrants. Google Earth is awesome!

richster

b7spectra said:
It's at least 4+ years old - my house is still showing my old Pontiac Grand Am in the driveway and I sold it 4 years ago!

34 03 28.70 84 28 48.09

I put 34 03 28.70N 84 28 48.09W then it worked. Cutting and pasting without the N and W designations took me to China!!! :lol:

Nice well-treed neigborhood you live in, I'm jelous!. I live in a concrete jungle downtown with a few elm trees around.

50 26 38.90N 104 36 11.10W

Regards,
Richster.

Status
Not open for further replies.