Whoa! My New BCD996T is Busted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Preordered my 996T from Grove. Got it on the 9th. I programmed it with UASD about 5 times, w/ the USB cable, working great. Never left the house, no abuse at all. Today I turned it on, and it took about 45 seconds to "boot" past the "Uniden" text, and now runs SUPER slow, like it's running about 1/64th normal speed! It will occaisionally bleep a long loud tone, but will not scan.

Is there a Hard reset or something!? This thing still has the plastic cover on the screen.

Last few on my serial are 001716.

Bogus! I'll be emailing Grove and Uniden now.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
While pressing 2, 9, and HOLD at the same time, turn on power.

This is the 2nd 996T in the last day that has had a problem. Lets hope that these are isolated.

Oh and there is no reason to complain to Grove about it, they didn't make it.

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Fubar 996t

Thanks for the info on the 2-9 hold. It now says ALL MEMORY CLEAR PLEASE WAIT. It's been a while, still says it. How long should I please wait?

Did I miss a thread on this happening to someone else? Same thing?

Oh, and I have no problems with Grove, just thought they might resolve it faster than Uniden....but we'll see....

It's been like 6 minutes....

I'll power it off.....then on.....

All Memory Clear Please Wait......
....ah after 4 more minutes....it's back to being SUPER SLOW.....it has nothing to scan at super slow speed.

dropkick

Check the voltage on your AC wall wart power supply. There was word around that some were producing overvoltage...

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
foobar 996t

Interesting.....16.34 Volts, which was a slow gradual climb from 15.84 Volts....enough to fry it?

Navairboss

BCD996T Problem

Hardware 1197.

Thanks for the heads up. I am taking your problem directly back to the testing team and we shall see what we have. I have not seen any other reports along this line, nor did I see anything along these lines mentioned by anyone during testing. I personally have not had any problems along those lines with either my Alpha or Beta unit. So it may be something unique to your unit.

In the meantime, contact Chanel at Grove 800-438-8155 next week during biz hours and let her know what you have. I think I would ask for an exchange. I am sure Grove, Uniden, Paul, me and the rest of the team would like to look at this one.

73 de Larry

Larry Van Horn, N5FPW
ATC (AW) USN (Ret)
MT Milcom/Help Desk Columnist
Assistant Editor Monitoring Times
Blog Address: http://mt-milcom.blogspot.com/
Uniden 246/330/396/996 Alpha/Beta Test Team

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Update

This morining I switched it on, and it seemed to be functioning normally for about 3 minutes, then back to slowville. I figured out the "bleep" sound. It's the regular beeping just slowed down! Everything's like 1/64th normal speed. Wierd.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
MPU clock problem? Something constantly interrupting? Anybody popped their 996 open enough to know what processor architecture it uses?

rfaricy

scanjunkie said:
I suggest buying a PRO-2096!! That'll fix your problem!!

Not really, I'd prefer the superior digital signal decoding of the Uniden over the constant fallback to the control channel static and noise on the RS model. I've never once heard control channel noise on my 396 nor my 996.

MacombMonitor

rfaricy said:
Not really, I'd prefer the superior digital signal decoding of the Uniden over the constant fallback to the control channel static and noise on the RS model. I've never once heard control channel noise on my 396 nor my 996.

Can't say as I ever encountered that problem with the PRO-96, or the PRO-2096, and I've owned several. I currently own a BCD996T, so I'm not prejudice, or a Uniden basher.

scanjunkie

I was only teasing with the PRO-2096 comment...didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. In the area I live in the 2096 is more than enough scanner and works perfectly on the local systems. If I could afford a 996 right now, I would buy one...maybe Santa will bring one!

Hardware1197 I hope your 996 gets fixed and works perfectly for you when you get it back...let us know how you make out!!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
dropkick said:
Check the voltage on your AC wall wart power supply. There was word around that some were producing overvoltage...

I believe that the report I saw was from someone who checked the adapter with a volt meter and no load on the power supply. It is normal for the output to measure high (like 15-16 volts) when it isn't connected to the scanner.

If the adapter won't power the scanner at all, on the other hand, that would be a warranty issue that could be solved with 1 phone call.

jf222

Thanks

I did the same test, but was wondering if it was a "load" vs "no load" condition. Was just waiting for your answer, that I knew would be coming.

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
996T is apparently fixed.

Well DHL finally found my office after 3 days of trying, and I got my scanner back from Uniden. DHL could not find City Hall, stating "No one home - note left." LOL.

I was a little stressed when it appeared Uniden had looked at it for all of half a day before shipping it back stating in the online status tracking that "the unit functions within factory specs."

Fearing it had fixed itself, or I was hallucinating on some time altering substance, I was sure I'd get my scanner back in the same condition it left...all busted.

I should have more faith - the return slip indicated that Uniden replaced *something* in the unit it appears, called an RM011. I'm wondering if that's a pc board or something.

Anyway after 6 hours of operation it's working, so I'm going to start programming away.

It took a month but I have a working scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.