Whole house scannner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronic

Is there a way or does anyone have any ideas on how to use 1 scanner and have audio all over the house . Stream through local network or some other means ?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It depends on your house and how much you want to hear. There's a lot of ways to do it. I simply have scanners on "each end" of my house running to get that effect. You could just run audio from a scanner into a "stereo" and run speakers to where you want to hear. There's really dozens of ways to do what you want.

majoco

Stirrer
What Tom says +1. A long time ago, (mid 80's) there was no FM radio in NZ. I had a reel-to-reel tape deck with all my favourites on it. There was an FM transmitter chip that with a few extra components would transmit all over my house and garden to a Heatkit FM stereo that I made in the UK and some FM/AM portables - worked really well. Nowadays it has grown into a MP3 SD card player with a better FM transmitter and has a couple of phono sockets on the back that I can connect to my 8 channel mixer which picks up the audio from scanners and HF receivers. 680+ oldies, an SD card of my favourite albums - the whole works. Runs on a 12volt plug back, just enough RF output to go 25 yards and all fitted into a small speaker box from the op shop.....
DSCF1525 sml.jpg

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
I use a pair of RS 900MHz wireless intercoms. I use one on VHF/UHF a/c on 910MHz; one for VHF Fedcomms on 913MHz. They are WBFM, so you need a scanner that does WBFM unless you use one of the intercoms to listen. I bought an original pair when they were in stock; found a second pair on ebay a few years ago. My units are in the basement and have a range around 75' - 100' on the outside. They also give a bit of privacy, if you listen on FM on the scanner the tx are garbled. This model has 4 freqs: 910 - 911 - 912 - 913MHz. Use AC/4 AA batts.

racingfan360

+1 to Tim's idea: I use a SCOSCHE FMT4R FM Transmitter for a whole host of applications indoor and out. Very simple, cheap, good range and flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.