Who's going to the T-Birds next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Next Wed (28 May) the T-Birds perform for the USAFA Class of '08. Who's going to head down to see the show and verify the new comms in use this year? Should we all try and meet somewhere? We could also try and get the practice show on Tues.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Its a private show =(

It will be hard to sneak around because the PODUS is going to be there...

Last edited:

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
I'm not talking about being on the USAFA grounds. There is a dirt lot at Interquest Parkway and I-25 that I like to go to. It's just south of the stadium on the immediate east side of I-25. Great view of the show and they always come right overhead in the delta formation for the final pass.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Captain Craig...
I'll check on that dirt lot, but there has been some construction in that area recently and you may not be able to park there. I'll double check.
For everyone else, don't EVEN think about parking along I-25, including the little scenic overlook. Both the CSP and AFA Police (I-25 is actually within the borders of the AFA in that area) are pretty ruthless about chasing people off.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
I like that area East of the Interstate actually where there are a few new hotels, never been messed with in those lots before and it's good monitoring from the tailgate.

Jim<

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
True indeed...you don't have to be as close to monitor as you do to watch. Me, I'd prefer to watch and photograph than listen, but the AFA graduation isn't conducive to that at all.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_8_8021.html

NOTAM Number : FDC 8/8021 Issue Date :May 19, 2008 at 1153 UTC Location :USAF Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado near BLACK FOREST VORTAC (BRK)Beginning Date and Time :May 25, 2008 at 1600 UTCEnding Date and Time :May 28, 2008 at 1930 UTCReason for NOTAM :USAF Thunderbirds high performance aerial demonstrationsType :AirshowReplaced NOTAM(s) :N/APilots May Contact :Colorado Springs (COS) TRACON, 719-380-6710

Affected Area(s)

Airspace Definition:

Center: On the BLACK FOREST VORTAC (BRK) 272 degree radial at 9.7 nautical miles. (Latitude: 38º59'08"N, Longitude: 104º50'05"W)

Radius: 5 nautical miles

Altitude: From the surface up to and including 17999 feet MSL

Effective Date(s):

From May 25, 2008 at 1600 UTC

To May 25, 2008 at 1800 UTC

From May 26, 2008 at 1345 UTC

To May 26, 2008 at 1500 UTC

From May 26, 2008 at 1945 UTC

To May 26, 2008 at 2115 UTC

From May 27, 2008 at 1345 UTC

To May 27, 2008 at 1500 UTC

From May 27, 2008 at 1945 UTC

To May 27, 2008 at 2115 UTC

From May 28, 2008 at 1745 UTC

To May 28, 2008 at 1930 UTC

Operating Restrictions and Requirements
No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).
Unless authorized by ATC.

Other Information:

ARTCC:ZDV - Denver CenterPoint of Contact:Major John Huguley
Telephone 719-333-4617Authority:Title 14 CFR section 91.145

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/16362831/detail.html

U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. -- The U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, the Thunderbirds, will turn heads skyward during several flights over the Colorado Springs area from Sunday to Wednesday.

The Thunderbirds are scheduled to arrive at Peterson Air Force Sunday at about 10:30 a.m. Before landing, the team will conduct aerial surveys of the Air Force Academy.

Monday morning at 8 a.m., the team will practice flyovers of the Air Force Academy Stadium as a rehearsal for the graduation day hat toss. At 2 p.m., the team will practice their aerial performance over the Academy. In the event of inclement weather on Monday, the team will fly this schedule on Tuesday.

Directly following the Air Force Academy graduation Wednesday, the team will perform the hat toss flyover and their aerial performance.

For the safety of the general public certain roads will be closed on the Academy during the performance practice on Monday or Tuesday and the performance Wednesday.

Stadium Drive will be closed from Pine Drive to Parade Loop from noon to 3 p.m. Monday and 10 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Wednesday. During these times the east ends of Community Center Drive and Academy Drive will also be closed. In addition to road closures, the Santa Fe Trail on Academy property will be closed.

These closures are mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration to ensure the performance area is free of all personnel.

The general public is reminded not to stop along Interstate 25 or on other roadways to watch the performances. The public may view the performances from open areas on the Air Force Academy by presenting a valid drivers license to enter the base.

The Thunderbirds perform precision aerial maneuvers demonstrating the capabilities of Air Force high performance aircraft to people throughout the world. The squadron exhibits the professional qualities the Air Force develops in the people who fly, maintain and support these aircraft.

Source: U.S. Air Force news release

Cryptolog

Premium Subscriber
T-bird freqs

For this morning's practice, diamond was on 143.700 and solo's on 235.25. Solo's landed using COS A/D 239.025 and COS twr 335.55.

Same freqs used for the afternoon practice. Freqs from Monitoring Time site. Very bad reception on the east side of the interstate, vic Briiargate/I-25, due to interference, possibly from power lines.

Last edited:

Liverdog

Cryptolog said:
For this morning's practice, diamond was on 143.700 and solo's on 235.25. Solo's landed using COS A/D 239.025 and COS twr 335.55.

Bill, were you scanning to 'find' these or were they published? The diamond and solos seem to change around from the listings available.

temode

Premium Subscriber
Great view from lot of Marriott

I talked to the front desk peeps at the Residence Inn-Marriott about parking in their back lot. No problem! What a great view!

Last edited:

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
temode said:
I talked to the front desk peps at the Residence Inn-Marriott about parking in their back lot. No problem! What a great view!

Maybe I'll see you there. If the typical dirt lot that I've been at the last few years is not available, I may try the Marriott.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
firescannerbob said:
Captain Craig...
I'll check on that dirt lot, but there has been some construction in that area recently and you may not be able to park there. I'll double check.
For everyone else, don't EVEN think about parking along I-25, including the little scenic overlook. Both the CSP and AFA Police (I-25 is actually within the borders of the AFA in that area) are pretty ruthless about chasing people off.

Bob,
Did you get a chance to check out the status of the lot?

temode

Premium Subscriber
There is a lot of building going on right now....the Marriott looks like the best bet unless you can find a spot to get closer. Aren't they going to fly today? It doesn't look like to me. I'll come back tomorrow.

temode

Premium Subscriber
Bush will be there!

I hear that Pres. Bush will attend the festivities. They (SS) might not let us sit there tomorrow!

temode

Premium Subscriber
Also try....

You can try the side lot of the movie theater. It looks like a great spot also. It may be even closer to the action than the Marriott and you get a better view of the runway. In fact, it might have been the "dirt lot" at one time.

Last edited:

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Bush will be speaking at the ceremony. SS won't really be worried about people watching the T-Birds in the area around the stadium. I'm sure CSP and CSPD will be very proactive in keeping people from stopping along the interstate and on exit ramps, etc.
The lot I'm thinking of is here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...05,-104.813862&spn=0.008672,0.020084&t=h&z=16

On the NE part of the interchange - the elongated area that runs North-South to the right of the entrance ramp for NB I-25.
Not sure what runway you're referring to. The AFA airport runways? The T-Birds will take-off from Peterson and, if they keep with the past actions, will depart 45-60 mins prior to performance and form up with a tanker to top-off before the performance.

Last edited:

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Craig,
The aerial shot you linked to is a bit out of date, and the area you describe is currently under construction. You may not be able to use it. I've driven by there, but was not able to pull off and check in any detail. In any case, the lot for the new theater (just east of the interchange on the north side of Interquest) may be better since it's closer than the Marriott. I will try to get up there, too, and hopefully get some photos.
The T-Birds did a few fly-overs yesterdays Sky Sox game during their approach and departures from PAFB. It was pretty neat to watch, and got the crowd excited.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. (AP) &#8213; President Bush arrived in Colorado Tuesday night in advance of his planned speech to Air Force Academy graduates Wednesday.

The president's plane landed at Peterson Air Force Base at about 8:10 p.m. Tuesday.

Bush is scheduled to speak Wednesday to this year's Air Force Academy graduating class in Colorado Springs.

Bush was expected to greet four Air Force cadets upon landing, including freshman Max Weaver.

"It was a great honor for me," he said, adding he learned about the meeting two days ago from his parents.

Weaver was a presidential scholar his senior year in high school and was invited to a banquet at the White House in June but was unable to attend.

Instead, Weaver got to meet briefly with Bush after his plane landed.

"It was awesome," Weaver said. "It was sort of an unreal moment. It will take a while for it to sink in."

Status
Not open for further replies.