SDS100/SDS200: Who's using the SDS100 in NC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris8video

I have a 436 and use Butel ARC536 basic. I have about 30 counties worth of programing in it. Can I use it to program the 200?

I'm not sure about using the ARC536 program but if you have the 436 programmed like you want you can download from the 436 into Sentinel and then you "should" be able to turn that around into the 200. I would assume this is the only practical way to do this since I think the 100/200 can only be programmed by Sentinel at this point.

Also, Sentinel will have the full database in it to pick from so unless you have some super customized data you may not need your existing programmning. Or at the very least you can load your custom work in conjunction with what comes in Sentinal.

I have cross checked my custom TGs with the Database and I haven't found many discrepancies, just a few naming protocols that I changed to my preference.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Yeah it’s very custom. I’ll have to check the opening page of my Butel. I think I saw that it included SDS100. Every text is centered and capitalized.

chris8video

My first road trip with my SDS100 today. South on I-85 from High Point through Davidson, Rowan, Cabarrus and into the edge of Mecklenburg County.

I added all the pertinent systems to a favorites list I called Drive to Charlotte and hooked the scanner up to my GPS puck.

I have to say it was nice to see the scanner turn off and on the relevant systems and groups during the drive.

I did have my range set to broad at first but I tightened it back down to 15 miles and I feel like that's better. (I think that's the default)

Here's a quick clip of the scanner on the Charlotte UASI simulcast system picking up a few transmissions on two different sites.

rellyrell

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad to hear people are having good results with the SDS100 in my area. I just purchased one preowned for a decent price with the DMR and NXDN upgrades included. I just got rid of my Pro-668 because it was almost useless picking up the P25 simulcast system here in Guilford County. Less than a 50% reception rate. It would either stop on a voice channel and go quiet or the rest of the transmissions were a just garbled mess.

I've been playing around with Sentinel trying to wrap my head around how it deals with profiles, settings and favorites list and I think I prefer Whistler's Scanlist and V-scanner function. Seems much simpler, conceptually.

What is the uniden version of the Whistler V-scanner function? I know I'm going to miss that feature desperately. :/

chris8video

I'm glad to hear people are having good results with the SDS100 in my area. I just purchased one preowned for a decent price with the DMR and NXDN upgrades included. I just got rid of my Pro-668 because it was almost useless picking up the P25 simulcast system here in Guilford County. Less than a 50% reception rate. It would either stop on a voice channel and go quiet or the rest of the transmissions were a just garbled mess.

I've been playing around with Sentinel trying to wrap my head around how it deals with profiles, settings and favorites list and I think I prefer Whistler's Scanlist and V-scanner function. Seems much simpler, conceptually.

What is the uniden version of the Whistler V-scanner function? I know I'm going to miss that feature desperately. :/

If you have any specific questions about using Sentinel message me. I think I've got it figured out. LOL. It can be a bit much if you try too hard.

But using it on the Guilford System is WONDERFUL!

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
How is it on VIPER? My Psr-800 sometimes receives clearly, and other times the same talk group will be very distorted whether on Sauratown or W-S State site.

chris8video

How is it on VIPER? My Psr-800 sometimes receives clearly, and other times the same talk group will be very distorted whether on Sauratown or W-S State site.
I haven't noticed any issues that I can say are issues. Sometimes I notice it'll stop on a TG and sit there with no audio but not usually very long. I've never had any problems in side by side testing/monitoring with my old 396XT.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Do you by chance live close to a cell tower? That often messes with 800 MHz reception. Of course how bad the interference is all depends on the frequency used by the cell provider.

rellyrell

Premium Subscriber
Just took it out the box .. So far so good, i just used zip code service just to get up and running quickly. Not the best on the Airband though but at least this thing actually deals nicely with the simulcast disortion issue. Later on I will hook it up to Sentinal.

rellyrell

Premium Subscriber

Good on VIPER , Greensboro/Guilford, W-S/Forsyth. This thing can lock on to control channels that my Pro-668 couldnt even pick up. I like the detailed view that shows the RSSI, site and CC info. Plus the site lock feature comes in handy.

jkimrey

I have a feeling the answer to this is "it depends" but what is the general range (in miles) that one can expect to pick up signals?

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I have a feeling the answer to this is "it depends" but what is the general range (in miles) that one can expect to pick up signals?
It certainly will depend based on antenna height, location, elevation, band, etc.

From my location, I can get 800 MHz sites up in the mountains up to 65 miles away, but to east I am lucky to get 15 miles. VHF is the same way, just a bit greater range: Going east I can get about 30 miles and looking up into the mountains to the west, I can hear departments out to 80 miles away (that's with a pretty high, outdoor antenna). Of course it all depends on your antenna and where the transmitter's antenna is and how much power it is running.

I am in a fairly decent location so YMMV. In a valley your range will be a lot less and on a mountain it can be a lot more. There are too many variables to say for sure.

joesheets

I just got mine yesterday and am really impressed by the reception. I live in Wake Co. The co uses a simulcast system and it reaked havoc on other scanners. There is some VERY SLIGHT garble on some of the transmissions but I would say it is a mere 1% of what I experienced before.
Still getting the colors where I want them. 4.9 stars! 99% of what I listen to is digital (VIPER and P25) but it also is good for analog freqs. I have KRDU and rail and all is good here!

joesheets

You are correct!
Almost too many variables to mention.
What is your setup...terrain, antenna height and kind, power of received station, mode of transmission (Analog/Digital), weather, time of day, construction of building, any EMF?
Just to name a few...

I live in south Wake co near FV and have a discone antenna at 35' AGL on a pretty wooded lot and can pick up Durham digital pretty well. I can pick up Chatham co (analog). If you listen to VIPER, it also depends on where your closest site is.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Happily on the air with my 200. From here just west of LKN in Denver, I can read 5 counties on VIPER and 3 counties on UASI (all of Mecklenberg) without a rooftop antenna. All I might add 95% L&C

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 22

rellyrell

Premium Subscriber
Overall the SDS100 seems to do well with the digital systems and the LSM issue. DMR is crystal clear. The extent of my DMR listening has been from fellow Hams on local 440 repeaters and airport ground crews and support staff at GSO (I am about 2 miles away).

I'm still trying to figure out the issue I am having on the VHF airband. The ATIS @ GSO is 128.55 but I can also hear the ATIS coming through on 128.8 which is an Atlanta ARTCC freq, but it only happens when there is an actual transmission on that frequency. Its like its mixed in with the radio traffic. IDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.