Why are TETRA radios so popular with civilians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
With analog being capable on it it's a good device. As for digital I'm not sure. I have used nxdn and Idas and p25. All seemed fine on a smooth system with same quality. Allot of businesses are lookong into those formats like mototrbo and tetra I believe was authorized fpr use in usa. Maybe many are getting them to monitor a business they like? Know a few hams who got mototrbo just to monitor businesses then use the analog on ham repeaters.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i am it engineer and i dont like that analogue stuff. Why not an own Open Digital Standard who contains GPS Position based seeking system.
In Austra and Europe there is a cool Projekt who called "Hamnet" its what i understand a Wifi Based System some Mhz over the regular Wifi Band and Contain only Digital Data like the normal IT World.
For example VoIP/ Sip, E-Mail and other Data Service. The huge benefit is a new Technology is very easy to deploy like a new SIP Profile who save more Bandwidth or sending UDP Messages and many more thins. THAT is what the future of "Ham Radio" is.

kg4ciu

terta would be awesome on ham radio 4 talk paths fit in a standard voice bandwidth

KF5YDR

i am it engineer and i dont like that analogue stuff. Why not an own Open Digital Standard who contains GPS Position based seeking system.
In Austra and Europe there is a cool Projekt who called "Hamnet" its what i understand a Wifi Based System some Mhz over the regular Wifi Band and Contain only Digital Data like the normal IT World.
For example VoIP/ Sip, E-Mail and other Data Service. The huge benefit is a new Technology is very easy to deploy like a new SIP Profile who save more Bandwidth or sending UDP Messages and many more thins. THAT is what the future of "Ham Radio" is.
I hope that's not the future of ham radio, because what you've described is exactly what the internet already is, and without any restrictions on content or purpose of use. Why would I want to get a license to get a poor duplication of service I already get through my mobile phone?

Hamnet (invented right here in Texas, by the way) is definitely part of the future of ham radio, and I think trunking is too, but the contention that we should try to turn all of ham radio into IT networking, and that all analog signals are useless, is just silly.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Its a Digital System and it would work in the hole Country w/o and limitation of distance.

KF5YDR

But it's completely, totally different than FRS. It's a trunking system, which means repeaters, which means cost, which means monthly subscription, which is exactly what FRS is not. Not to mention no removable antennas and the frustration of using a trunking system with a max ERP of half a watt.

This is like saying a Boeing 767 would make a really great bicycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.