Why are the peprogramed frequencies Bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsthedem

Hi all:
This is Chris Dem from Syracuse, NY in Onondaga County. I have a new Radio Shack Pro-162 I just took out of the box. I have used a very old scanner that stopped working a quite while ago. So today I got pro-162. I hear many positive things about it. I read a couple reviews, a blog or 2 and even the guy at the shack all said the same thing.....That I don’t want to use the programmed frequencies and to remove them all and start from scratch.
I seem to get a lot just the way it is. But in a city mine I feel I am missing out.
What are your thoughts on this? I have no problem entering in more channels manually if needed.

SCPD

QRT
1) they are usually out of date 2) Not programmed correctly to begin with 3) are mostly just very general basic freqs that may or may NOT be active in your particular area. Also do NOT let RS use scancat lite to program it!...
Pauk

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Pre-programmed Frequencies

Those frequencies are usually generic frequencies used around the country. While you may hear activity on them, many agencies use their own frequency. Plus, you'll be wasting valuable memory on inactive frequencies. Your best bet is to look at the database on this site, choosing which frequencies you'd like to listen to. A couple of friends at my firehouse have the PRO-162. It's a fine scanner. Invest in a programming cable and one of the programs. Manually programming ANY of the new scanners today is a PITA. Congratulations on your new scanner purchase.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
I just bought one 2 weeks ago. I love it. Although just analog, I like its layout and features. The display is awesome!! Like the dark black lettering and the menu is quite unique. So far its done well. I agree about the pre-programmed stuff. It wasnt well thought out. But its so easy to program,just program what YOU want in its place!! Audio is good but the only negative is you cant keep the backlight on all the time which I like at night.

n2mdk

Status
Not open for further replies.