Why are there so many used SDS 200 radios for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine who went all the way back to the "Little Tiger" converter days, like me, finally got an SDS200 and I copied my lists over and off he went. He doesn't live far from me and listening to the radio at his house, all was fine. He called me 2 weeks later and somehow had trashed the settings on the radio. I told him, "Just reload the file (whatever it was named) and that should take care of it!". He couldn't seem to get it to work, so I went over there and did it in about one minute. All of a sudden, he starts ranting about, "I just want to listen to stuff and don't want to have to learn all kinds of new computer stuff!". That's a rerun of his early PC days about 1989 or so, he had a long struggle to learn how to use a PC. I got a LOT of phone calls with him telling me, "XXXX doesn't work!", but he was the problem. One major part of it was he's a bad speller, and was even worse back then. Then he says, "You can have it for $400, I just want it gone!". I didn't think he was serious, but it's sitting about 6" from my left elbow with salt trucks talking, and a lot of wrecks being talked about. $400 for a near new 200 with DMR in it. I couldn't pass it up. Now he has an old GRE handheld, a PSR-500 and he's happy with it's bad sounding audio and ease of use. I offered to throw in one of mine on the deal for the SDS200 (I have 3 RS/GRE/Whistler PSR-500 clones) but he didn't want them, he just wanted the SDS200 gone. Whose files are he using in Win500? Mine. Lots of traffic, but some of it is totally unreadable. If I could get my SDS200's to pick up the traffic my old GRE stuff does, wow, that would be great. If I sit here at work and put both my SDS200 and my Pro-106 on the Michigan system, the GRE picks up twice what the SDS200 does, it's non stop, especially in bad weather.

Another dream would be that an update would somehow fix the annoying as hell AVC issue. As clear as the SDS is on most things, the volume difference between units is one of the most annoying things about it. I'm about to try a couple of home built projects that hopefully will make sound levels even out. I really don't want to have to add another box and an external speaker, but I guess it will be worth it, if it solves the problem.

The SDS-200 does a lot and so much so that some buyers are overwhelmed by the menus and choices present. Some owners are intimidated by the need for Sentinel and computer programming to hear what they want and to avoid what they don't. Example: a listener may want to listen to wildland fire ops, but that could entail programming some municipal/county FDs, State forestry, Federal BLM assets, private/contract aviation for air drops, interagency channels, etc. If one does programming by service, a lot of other unwanted channels will be scanned and it can prevent listening to what is of interest.

The manual is written for an experienced user or junior engineer, filters are not adequately explained, Sentinel could be written less like a Windows program, and some users are no where near fully Windows literate in Office apps and they can be frustrating.

Some owners feel that they bought too much radio and are not computer fans.
I agree with what you are saying. I am one of those who do not have a good grasp of windows programs. spreadsheets and the like. I am computer literate enough to be dangerous. I am trying to learn Sentinal and ARC software. It is frustrating. Talk about encryption nightmares. I live in Kane county Illinois. Yesterday something started to click. But it was with my 125 that helped me understand the 436 a little better. All I can say is I havent given up yet. Inser serenity prayer here. LoL.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
The PERFECT scanner for the " I don't want to learn computer stuff and just want to listen to the scanner" is the P25RX from Blue Tail Technologies.
It is a "set it and forget it" type of unit.. You can program it with a PC to your hearts content or set it up once and let it work.

MStep

The PERFECT scanner for the " I don't want to learn computer stuff and just want to listen to the scanner" is the P25RX from Blue Tail Technologies.
It is a "set it and forget it" type of unit.. You can program it with a PC to your hearts content or set it up once and let it work.

You just completely contradicted your own statement that first, "you didn't want to learn computer stuff", and then "you can program it with a PC". I believe that you have to use the Blue Tail Technology program in order to set up the P25RX. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that you can set it up without a computer.

Nothing against Blue Tail mind you, but the complexity of current digital and trucked systems generally requires the aid of a computer to do the setup. Unless you pay someone or the company does it for you.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
@MStep.. You are correct in your statement, A PC is required to set it up. The OP stated he had set the scanner up for the end user in the beginning and the end user somehow messed it up and didn't want to "learn computers" to recover it.
The P25RX has nothing that can self destruct the programming.. That was my point of not having to learn computer stuff.. The P25RX also has a direct import from RR for the programming.. Thanks for catching my misstatement

tdave365

Premium Subscriber
It's kind of weird to zero in on solder joints as a first theory for any perceived volume of used SDS 200s for sale. If it were that, or any mechanical issue, I am sure the interwebs, and certainly these forums, would be abuzz about it by now. As it is from what I an tell, the SDS 100/200s are strong sellers. In fact, that might be the reason right there. With so many SDSs in the commerce pipeline it only stands to reason they would be strong in the used marketplace too.

But if the ratio is in fact askew for any reason, I would sooner guess that they are probably bought by too many legacy scanner hobbyists who are instantly daunted by the contemporary process for what was once something as simple as popping in a crystal, or programming in a single UHF analog frequency. When their local public safety goes digital, and they decide to keep up, they do the superficial research and learn that the SDS line is the top scanner in town. They buy one, only after then learning that the functional barrier has jumped 10 fold. If they can't figure out how to work the digital programming options in a few minutes, they declare buyer's remorse and sell.

If we think that long-time SDS 200 owners are suddenly selling because encryption is taking over, that wouldn't necessarily jive to me either. Mainly because encryption actually isn't. Yes more agencies are going encrypted, but the RR reference list of agencies that have gone encrypted -- relative to all the agencies out there -- is actually quite small. Even smaller still when you consider that of those agencies that are on the list, many do not fully encrypt (for example, they either simulcast police dispatch and/or keep fire calls unencrypted). You could maybe speculate that SDS owners just don't like the trend and are giving up ahead of time, but, somehow, I just don't think that's how people work. For me to sell my scanner everything would have to encrypt, and I'd have to assume that there would be no rolling back of it, which there seem to be cases of.

I think something closer to the former is actually the reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.