• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Why are we so lazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
I'm not going to lie to anyone, I actually ride public transit, and don't currently have a car. So walking and riding buses is not something twisted and demented to me.

So many people I know, will take their car, from the college, to the restaurants on the other side of the plaza, which has got to be less then 200 ft. I've even witnessed people take their car to only go down the street from their house.

Also, what's with this fire lane/bus lane stuff? Constantly I see cars parking and dropping off/picking up people in the fire lane, just flat out blocking either public safety personnel from getting in or buses from picking up passengers or dropping off passengers.

Also, many people are shocked that I get up anywhere from 4AM to 10AM. They consider that too early. Sometimes I hardly go with any sleep at all, and go to college like 6+ hours a day, 10 hours, if you could the extra 4 hours for the public buses. To many I've talked to the bus is a huge nightmare and a horrible life.

I don't really mean to offend anyone, but I just don't really understand and can't seem to related to any of the ways many people seem to act, in this county.

I can't understand the complaints these people make either. Some have told me that they are mad they couldn't get this or that $60,000 car, and I'm baffled, wondering wtf you need a $60,000 car for. I'm even baffled why generic stuff is so horrible compared to name-brand stuff.

See I just have a different view on the world, I may only be 19, and supposed to be wild, but I was raised to appreciate value, spend my money wisely, try to stretch your money as far as you can (not be cheap, just don't spend like an idiot)., and to not be lazy, like any of the examples I've listed above.

I've had some people actually claim that this laziness is probably one of the major reasons, many other countries hate us. It seems to make some sense to me, because if they believe in spending money wisely, not wasting food, and other stuff, I can see how they would get annoyed if a fair amount of people lived the opposite way.

Don't get me wrong, I never said I hated America or anything, I'm just confused with the behavior of a fair amount of the citizens. It's like a huge amount of people have very little logic. Like nothing is thought through.

Shortwavewave

LOL, funny guess what Im 19 too

I dont understand the 60,000$ car either, God forbid you shold get the darn car that parks it-self, or it has heated seats.:roll:

And I get up around 5am too, maybe once a month I like to have about 12 hrs of sleep just to refresh my body.

But I think in some parts of the USA there are some citys where we dont have a bus to take, well theres onein my city but i think its around 50cents a mile, thats outragious if you live 25miles from work.

Thats one thing my wife does that I cant stand about her, WASTES FOOD!! I tell her if she continues to do it, she will wake up with spagetti sause in her hair

Last edited:

brutalpilot514

Premium Subscriber
Most of the people that I know have cars that have a higher value than both my vehicles combined. And I guarantee you I drive at least 6 times the miles than they do. That's the downside about being a supply sgt in the military. But at the same time I bet I take much better care of mine too. Have to with 132k and 172k on my camaro and truck, respectively. Not to mention the fact that they're 12 year old vehicles.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Some are lazy, some are ignorant, some are just being safe

1. What amazes me is the people who drive around a parking lot trying to get the closest parking spot. Now if you're going to carry out 100 lbs of groceries, "OK"; but I see people doing this who are going to the GYM to work out!

2. I'd like a law requiring every parking lot in America redesigned so that autos are not directed in a lane near the store fronts (where the fire lanes are). Parking lots need to be designed to be pedestrian friendly, so that peds do not have to compete with autos to get from their cars to the store.

3. I try to ride my bike when I can, but people get killed all the time in this county by motorists who have total disregard for others.

4. Public transit is not a very safe place for most people. Usually fit 19 y/o males can take care of themselves, but not elderly or females. Also, people usually have to go many blocks just to reach public transit. This means a good distance of walking, carrying those groceries/etc.

5. Bodies need somewhere between 6 & 12 hours of sleep per night. Those who don't get what their bodies need will pay in the end.

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
RedPenguin said:
Also, many people are shocked that I get up anywhere from 4AM to 10AM. They consider that too early.
I don't see that as a laziness issue. That's just a different preference of sleeping hours.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Yes

ibagli said:
I don't see that as a laziness issue. That's just a different preference of sleeping hours.
Yeah, now that I think about it, you are right. But most of the people I've heard say that, actually sleep way too much, more than 8-12 hours, and still complain about getting up. So that's where I came up with that at first.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
I can see that, but...

I can see maybe dropping someone off in the fire lane to a point, not that I recommend doing it, but I went to this mall in a slightly busier city than mine, and these people were almost parking in the fire lane. They would sit there for minutes on end just waiting for their pick-up. Even taxis/cabs used by bus lanes.

Our local Wal-Mart has a section designed just for buses, and I swear, people just constantly park there. It gets so bad that sometimes the police have to be called and I think sometime Wal-Mart to try to page the driver of the car. If the bus can't get in to the bus area, they basically have to partly block the in-lane to the Wal-Mart plaza.

Some drivers have gotten so sick of it, they actually joke that they would just love to ram the bus into the car, and make it go away. I seriously heard a bus driver or two say this.

I have to admit, that yes the bus can be dangerous for some, and believe me, you get some strange people on the bus.

I could write a book on what I've seen. Some people are just confused to people who just don't give a crap. My city is odd, I don't want to know what happens on NYC/LAPD buses or subways. LoL.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
I've seen a photo of an expensive car parked in front of a fire hydrant with the hose running through the interior. We need more of that. :D

mastr

The "fire lane" at the local Wal*mart is usually populated by two or more personal vehicles owned by personnel of local EMS/FD/PD. The most common offenders are VFD members, with either former police cars having most of the inventory of Galls Inc.installed, or a beater 4x4 truck with a lightbar costing more than the rest of the truck is worth.

The thing that would help most stores is realistic traffic control patterns in the parking areas. All the stop signs are on the way out 99 percent of the time, as if they can't wait 30 seconds for you to get inside and start spending $$$.

wogggieee

People are lazy because they can be. Why would people want to walk a 5 blocks to the bus and wait for the bus and then walk another few blocks to your destination when you can walk 10 feet to the car in your garage drive to your destination and park within 50 feet of the entrance. With urban sprawl being an increasing issue in many cities it becomes difficult to walk/bike many places because of how spread out things are. Around here most of the transit goes into the core cities. But there isn't much that goes between suburbs which i think is a problem for many people since most will only go into the core cities for work and do the rest of their business in the surrounding suburbs. Adding to the laziness is that we now have many other devices that will make less work required for certain activities. I'm sure there are many people who wont get off the couch to change the channel if the remote isn't near by.

Call me lazy, but for my situation i cant see any real advantage to taking the bus. The closest bus stop would be probably a half mile walk and often when i go out there are multiple stops and the locations I'd go would require multiple transfers. To me walking to and from the bus stop and then messing with transfers and all the stops seems to me like a horribly inefficient use of time. I'd much prefer to drive my car directly to the places i need to go and get done what i need to get done. Combine that with the fact that i love driving and don't have a desire to feel unsafe around some of the people that are on buses and i see no advantage or reason for me to take a bus. Plus i can't walk more than a few hundred feet with out getting short of breath and needing oxygen.

RogerH11

RedPenguin said:
I've had some people actually claim that this laziness is probably one of the major reasons, many other countries hate us. It seems to make some sense to me, because if they believe in spending money wisely, not wasting food, and other stuff, I can see how they would get annoyed if a fair amount of people lived the opposite way.
As for as other countries hating us, I agree that being fat, lazy, ignorant, and dumb is what many of us are. But more than that, I think it's our government's foriegn policy.

slicerwizard

RedPenguin said:
I've had some people actually claim that this laziness is probably one of the major reasons, many other countries hate us. It seems to make some sense to me,
Do you care what the folks in France or Germany spend their money on? So why do you think they care about your spending habits?

Shortwavewave said:
LOL, funny guess what Im 19 too
You should work on your poor spelling while you're still young. It gets harder to learn as you get older.

xpawel15x

I'm 17 and I don't own a car either. I go to a high school which is 10 mins walking distance from where I live. I see students who I know that live closer than me and yet they drive every day to school, either to show off that Audi their parents borrowed them, or maybe they're just lazy, I don't know. I enjoy walking to school and not having to rely on a motor vehicle. I guess I'm old school, I also like to stay fit and not be a couch potato that has to drive everywhere. Just my $.02

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
I can see somewhat clearly now.... but the rain is not gone

wogggieee said:
People are lazy because they can be. Why would people want to walk a 5 blocks to the bus and wait for the bus and then walk another few blocks to your destination when you can walk 10 feet to the car in your garage drive to your destination and park within 50 feet of the entrance. With urban sprawl being an increasing issue in many cities it becomes difficult to walk/bike many places because of how spread out things are. Around here most of the transit goes into the core cities. But there isn't much that goes between suburbs which i think is a problem for many people since most will only go into the core cities for work and do the rest of their business in the surrounding suburbs. Adding to the laziness is that we now have many other devices that will make less work required for certain activities. I'm sure there are many people who wont get off the couch to change the channel if the remote isn't near by.

Call me lazy, but for my situation i cant see any real advantage to taking the bus. The closest bus stop would be probably a half mile walk and often when i go out there are multiple stops and the locations I'd go would require multiple transfers. To me walking to and from the bus stop and then messing with transfers and all the stops seems to me like a horribly inefficient use of time. I'd much prefer to drive my car directly to the places i need to go and get done what i need to get done. Combine that with the fact that i love driving and don't have a desire to feel unsafe around some of the people that are on buses and i see no advantage or reason for me to take a bus. Plus i can't walk more than a few hundred feet with out getting short of breath and needing oxygen.
I kinda see what you mean, but one thing confuses me.

Everyone says they want more exercise and that they want to lose weight. That's a good thing.

Yet, no one ever wants to walk those extra few feet or sometimes even extra inches.

Why do we wonder why we get no exercise when it's like we flat out just try to avoid exercise?

I purposely will not sit and wait for the bus, I will walk around as long as I can, then just come back to the bus stop. I figure, I will never lose weight just sitting there at the bus stop, so I sometimes walk 5 minutes to an hour or more until the bus shows up.

I often feel better after I have walked, not exhausted.

Again, I'm not talking about you in particular, and besides I don't know you, but I'm talking about what I've seen of America as a whole.

Many say, well, there's no reason we can't park in a bus or fire lane. Many saw well there will be no fire while they are in the fire lane, but I bet if someone dies because they couldn't get the fire truck in fast enough, they would maybe think twice before doing it again.

For example at my local Wal-Mart, I don't see how walking 200ft vs 5ft is that horrible.

I used to walk 2.9 miles every day to my local library, because then I didn't have a computer at my house.

With all of the walking I do, 5 days a week taking the bus, almost 4 hours each day dedicated to buses, I probably walk at least 1-2 miles, even if it's not in a straight line anymore.

Also, I think so much stuff is rush rush today. Why can't we wait for anything? I'm not saying we need to wait 5 years for everything, but must we want something one minute and get it always the next split second? I've wait years for some of the stuff I have, and I've worked hard for my money, and only wish to spend it, when it's either necessarily or it's one something I'm not going to waste.

That's why I see buying generic food just the same as name-brand most of the time.

I guess because I was brought up to be "old skool" I just don't understand the "new generation".

timkilbride

Database Admin
If you want to talk about sleep, trying working on a extra board for a railroad. Your on-call 24/7 and only have a 90-120 mins(mine is two hours) advance notice of when to be to work. It is very common for me to be up all day, crawl into bed and then have the phone ring at 11pm telling me to go to work. By the time I get home the following afternoon I will have been up for 30-40+ plus hours. Happens quite frequently too.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Its called progress.

Your points are good, but dont be too critical of american society. If you lived in NYC, you could be a millionaire and not own a car, but if you were a immigrant labourer in L.A., you couldnt get to the local 7-11 without a car. It is how our society is set up. If you can get by with less, then fine. There is nothing unique about you in that regard. Most people who favor a more utilitarian approach to life dont boast about it and have given up on questioning "the masses" But your points are good. Too often I just look and say WTF? Be it a single yuppie driving a Escalade to walk the dog in the park instead of walking the dog to the park, or some inner-city dope driving a 11 year old faded Benz with 22" chrome wheels and worn-out summer tires in the middle of the winter to deliver pizza, people buy vehicles as an emotional decision. It reinforces themselves (true or not) that they had "made-it" to whatever social-ladder position that ownership of that type of vehicle would normally confer to people. Rarely is a car purchase strictly viewed as "transportation" We are graced to have such choices in america. Enjoy this privilage for all of the sillyness and waste that it generates. If you cannot appreciate this fact, you may be happier in a country where the only car is a Lada.

I'll admit that I drive a nice car all of 1.8 miles to work. If I walked to work, I may be in better shape, but I would also could be dead from some dope doing the SUV/yaking on cell/coffee/late for work thing if they hit me while walking. I could have bought a cheap "beater", but I was nearly killed in an accident in the summer and no beater is safer than new cars. It would have made no difference to my ego what I drove. The only time I considered "image" when buying a car was actually to downgrade my choices to what I have now because the car I was going to get would have labled me pretentious.

wogggieee

RedPenguin said:
I kinda see what you mean, but one thing confuses me.

Everyone says they want more exercise and that they want to lose weight. That's a good thing.

Yet, no one ever wants to walk those extra few feet or sometimes even extra inches.

Why do we wonder why we get no exercise when it's like we flat out just try to avoid exercise?

I purposely will not sit and wait for the bus, I will walk around as long as I can, then just come back to the bus stop. I figure, I will never lose weight just sitting there at the bus stop, so I sometimes walk 5 minutes to an hour or more until the bus shows up.

I often feel better after I have walked, not exhausted.

Again, I'm not talking about you in particular, and besides I don't know you, but I'm talking about what I've seen of America as a whole.

Many say, well, there's no reason we can't park in a bus or fire lane. Many saw well there will be no fire while they are in the fire lane, but I bet if someone dies because they couldn't get the fire truck in fast enough, they would maybe think twice before doing it again.

For example at my local Wal-Mart, I don't see how walking 200ft vs 5ft is that horrible.

I used to walk 2.9 miles every day to my local library, because then I didn't have a computer at my house.

With all of the walking I do, 5 days a week taking the bus, almost 4 hours each day dedicated to buses, I probably walk at least 1-2 miles, even if it's not in a straight line anymore.

Also, I think so much stuff is rush rush today. Why can't we wait for anything? I'm not saying we need to wait 5 years for everything, but must we want something one minute and get it always the next split second? I've wait years for some of the stuff I have, and I've worked hard for my money, and only wish to spend it, when it's either necessarily or it's one something I'm not going to waste.

That's why I see buying generic food just the same as name-brand most of the time.

I guess because I was brought up to be "old skool" I just don't understand the "new generation".
I'll agree, it is certainly rather hypocritical for people to be all about exercise and then not want to walk or bike places. however i think that is more about exercising in the appropriate time and place. I think many people feel that biking/walking will work up a sweat and make them stink, which isnt the best thing for going to work.

I agree with you 100% on the fire lane issue. That really annoys me. Or the people that "temporarily" park in a handicapped spot for much the same reason as they park in the fire lane. As someone who uses those spots legitimately it really ticks me off when people do that since often there isn't another spot open and them sitting there prevents me from parking there and having work further and causing much more strain on my body than is needed. People get so wrapped up in their own world that they cant see how their actions effect others.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Thats one thing my wife does that I cant stand about her, WASTES FOOD!!"

Feed her New York portions, she'll have nothing to waste and never get fat. If she complains give her a choice, thin and attractive or fat and divorced. Remember woman, blubber is the number one cause of Viagra.

Status
Not open for further replies.