Why aren't media licenses in the FCC database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
What media company? They most likely do not show up on the DB or the FCC DB at RR depending on when it was last updated.

If you have freqs for media agencies in your area, be sure to submit them or list them here so we can get those added to your area. Thanks!

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
unitcharlie said:
They are listed.... you just need to look under the name of the company with the license...

Please show me. 450.5125 is in the FCC databse, and it's been there for a while. I think the real answer is that the site is selective about which licenses it picks up.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
b52hbuff said:
Please show me. 450.5125 is in the FCC databse, and it's been there for a while. I think the real answer is that the site is selective about which licenses it picks up.

That could be true.... I have had to enter the same freq in different searches to finally come up with the info I needed....

I entered 450.5125 on a statewide search of California and found this license in San Franscisco: WQA958 http://dettifoss.fcc.gov/acweb/dettifoss/genmen_a/db_19/d_admin_l_lm.roi;24822?ViewDefault

This one was listed to CBS, but there are other companies out there who have less obvious names.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
There are many radio service types that are not included in RR's version of the FCC database. As mentioned in this thread and another similar one, RP and AF are perhaps the most notable radio service types that are not included. This is a known issue. Other services such as YK and auctioned licenses are also not included.

-Eric

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

There are many different FCC Databases out there.

RP licenses are actually kept in the database entitled "Land Mobile - Broadcast Auxiliary"
AF licenses are in the "Martime Coast and Aviation Ground" database

We are only loading the "Land Mobile - Private" licenses at this, since this database contains all of the licenses for Public Safety uses and most standard business issued licenses today.

Another database is the Land Mobile Commercial database which mainly has industrial and business SMR type licenses (read: millions of Nextel licenses).

Believe it or not, the fcc databases are very complex and VERY large. I am working on a solution to eventually load all of the databases, however providing the level of reporting that we do (PDF downloads for a county, all licenses in a county etc) are very challenging and costly queries which take a lot of performance from the database to execute in a reasonable manner. For instance, the most popular reports that people use are the Last FCC grants in a county and all FCC licenses in a county.

Remember, Gullfoss and the FCC servers are not providing these types of reports - but we are able to do it on-demand. The FCC really only provides some simple searches like by callsign etc.

We are getting there, but keep in mind that for me to deploy the same functionality that we have today with all of the FCC databases that are potentially relevant to us, will require me to invest in a high-end database server to execute the queries in the timeframes that everyone will want (near instant) ;-) I am planning on doing this...

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
blantonl said:
Folks,

There are many different FCC Databases out there.

Another database is the Land Mobile Commercial database which mainly has industrial and business SMR type licenses (read: millions of Nextel licenses).

Thanks for the information. I just wanted to add, in case it wasn't obvious... When/if you start incorporating more of the FCC databse, please allow an option to hide/remove the Nextel licenses.

Your comment reminded me of one of the frustrations of getting the raw FCC dumps. You get pages & pages of Nextel frequencies...

Status
Not open for further replies.