Why buy a new scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HageCPA

Hello all! New here but not entirely new to scanners. I bought my first Regency when I was a teenager. It had 10 red blinking lights on the front that slowly scanned the frequencies they were "programmed" to. Programming was done with silver combs. You broke off different teeth from the combs depending on who you wanted to listen to and then plugged them in the back. A few scanners since then were all regular programmable units but preceded trunking. My wife did a nice thing and bought me a BCT15X for Christmas this year. She searched Amazon for a scanner that would handle trunking and it came up. Bit of a learning curve but with help on this site and some free software I managed to set up some fire frequencies including the station I worked out of many years ago as a paid on call firefighter. But when I tried to program police into the unit I quickly found out that Livingston and Oakland county are digital. I live on the border of these counties. So the decision was made to return the little 15X and find a digital scanner. But then it occurred to me to do some more research and I believe these same counties are also encrypted and, as such, cannot be accessed on the digital scanners. So as it stands right now, the 15X will go back and nothing will be purchased to replace it.

I guess my question is then, why buy a new scanner? The old Radio Shack Pro 2036 unit gathering dust on my shelf receives fire frequencies just fine for now. I had originally thought I would just replace the 15X with a BCD996P2 or even a BCD536HP as it claims it receives pretty much everything...but then the encryption specter raised its head and rumors that maybe all transmissions might be encrypted in the next few years sort of scared me off. I already have a few scanners around that are basically paperweights, don't need another expensive piece of obsolescence. Will the 996P2/536HP get me police? Or just fire and eventually....nothing? Any help appreciated.

HageCPA

I am still trying to figure out how to read these things. I hope this is not a dumb questions. How to you look at those and tell that one is not encrypted and the other is?

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I am still trying to figure out how to read these things. I hope this is not a dumb questions. How to you look at those and tell that one is not encrypted and the other is?
Look under the "Mode" column. A=Analog, D=Digital, DE=Digital Encrypted.
It appears only the Countywide Surveillance talk groups are encrypted in the CLEMIS system.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
OpenSky is past its end-of-life and is due for replacement; there is another thread here on the Michigan forum concerning that, and as anything involving elected officials and money, it's going to take a while. You will not be able to monitor anything on CLEMIS or anything that is encrypted, regardless of what scanner you buy. There is plenty of stuff on the MPSCS that is in the clear; it's a P25 digital system. IMHO, it's worth the money to buy a good P25-capable scanner.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
Look here also, https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1289, there are communities in Oakland County who are still on VHF/UHF analog frequencies. A few on the western side of the county that I noticed are; Farmington Hills, Commerce Township and Highland Township.

The 996P2 and the 536HP will both handle the MPSCS system without a problem. As long as the police are NOT encrypted you shouldn't have any problems hearing them. As far as wide scale encryption goes that could take decades or centuries given that there are many different governments (cities, townships, counties, state, federal) involved.

kc8flb

Dad still has two of those regency red light blinking scanners with the programming combs. I remember hearing police and ham radio repeaters when I was a kid.

Just bought a SDS100 and its amazing but I listen to P25 traffic (Downriver mutual and MPSCS)

Status
Not open for further replies.