Why can't I hear all transmits to a repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcrean

New to DMR; I've programmed a repeater output frequency into my radio including the proper CC and Time Slot.. When monitoring, I hear only about half of the transmittals.
The Anytone radio shows the ID of the others, but there's no audio.
What am I doing wrong?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Is the system a commercial one? If it is IP site connect, traffic wont be routed to a site without any participants having registered to it.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Assuming this is an Amateur Radio DMR repeater due to the forum in which you posted the question. Which AnyTone radio do you have? And do you have it running the latest firmware? For the AT-D868 anyway there was a firmware update that "Improved the audio drop-out problem". I have an AT-D868 with current firmware and do not experience problems of this nature.

bobcrean

Assuming this is an Amateur Radio DMR repeater due to the forum in which you posted the question. Which AnyTone radio do you have? And do you have it running the latest firmware? For the AT-D868 anyway there was a firmware update that "Improved the audio drop-out problem". I have an AT-D868 with current firmware and do not experience problems of this nature.
I have an 878UV Plus. Firmware 1.17 (It was the latest as of about 3 weeks ago). An example would be the Hudson NH Repeater, on 145.26; CC 5 Timeslot one. There is a setting for DMR mode; I have that set to "Repeater"; other options are simplex and double slot.

I'm just assuming I've got something set up incorrectly. Have not installed a codeplug yet; just all manual programming.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you should use the AnyTone CPS to read from the radio, examine all your settings.... and if at all possible get a codeplug that is known to work in your area. A source for that is likely to be a ham radio club in your area and / or their website. If you are seeing the green Rx LED come on... but no audio... and assuming your radio is not in digital monitor mode on both timeslots... then likely what is happening is that the repeater you are listening to is transmitting on one of the timeslots... for which you may not be monitoring... and on a talkgroup that you have not programmed. It's fairly difficult to program a DMR radio via the keypad, and SO much simpler and more effective to use a computer and the radio's CPS. You can see all your settings / options in one place without having to select Main Menus, submenus, and sub-sub menus... and scrolling up /down with arrow keys, etc. VERY easy to miss something / make an error that way.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Is the system a commercial one? If it is IP site connect, traffic wont be routed to a site without any participants having registered to it.

Keep in mind many amateur systems use IP Connect as well and they repeat all the traffic whether there's someone there to listen to them or not. IP Site Connect is just a dumb link between repeaters.

bobcrean

Yes, you should use the AnyTone CPS to read from the radio, examine all your settings.... and if at all possible get a codeplug that is known to work in your area. A source for that is likely to be a ham radio club in your area and / or their website. If you are seeing the green Rx LED come on... but no audio... and assuming your radio is not in digital monitor mode on both timeslots... then likely what is happening is that the repeater you are listening to is transmitting on one of the timeslots... for which you may not be monitoring... and on a talkgroup that you have not programmed. It's fairly difficult to program a DMR radio via the keypad, and SO much simpler and more effective to use a computer and the radio's CPS. You can see all your settings / options in one place without having to select Main Menus, submenus, and sub-sub menus... and scrolling up /down with arrow keys, etc. VERY easy to miss something / make an error that way.
I am using the CPS to do this programming. I just don't understand all the settings. I've been holding off installing a code plug until I had a better understanding of how it all works, but I guess I should just jump in and go.

WB9YBM

You're not doing anything wrong. Typically a repeater has a bigger "footprint" than portables & mobiles (and even most base stations) and this is NOT just on transmit--so the transmissions you're NOT hearing on the input are on the other side of the repeaters' receive coverage.

bobcrean

You're not doing anything wrong. Typically a repeater has a bigger "footprint" than portables & mobiles (and even most base stations) and this is NOT just on transmit--so the transmissions you're NOT hearing on the input are on the other side of the repeaters' receive coverage.
Well, I get that, but in this case, I'm listening on the output of the repeater. I have a fairly decent ground plane antenna about 30 ft. agl. So if the transmissions I'm not hearing (but the repeater IS), why wouldn't I hear them? Unless someone is transmitting on the Output frequency ("talk around"), why wouldn't I hear them? I know whoever I can hear can hear them, because they're carrying on a conversation lol.

bobcrean

Well, I get that, but in this case, I'm listening on the output of the repeater.
Uh oh. In the CPS, is the "receive frequency" the Repeater's receive frequency or the user's receive frequency. In the example posted, I've set 145.26 as the "receive frequency". Do I have these backwards?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 2.38.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 2.38.47 PM.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 86

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
So if the transmissions I'm not hearing (but the repeater IS), why wouldn't I hear them? Unless someone is transmitting on the Output frequency ("talk around"), why wouldn't I hear them?
How close are you to the repeater? Perhaps you're not hearing the entire exchange if your radio is losing lock with the repeater signal due to a high bit-error rate. Does this happen inside, outside, or both?

bobcrean

How close are you to the repeater? Perhaps you're not hearing the entire exchange if your radio is losing lock with the repeater signal due to a high bit-error rate. Does this happen inside, outside, or both?
Not sure I understand the question. The handheld is connected to an external antenna. It's not an intermittent thing. Whenever certain users call, they show up on the screen, but no audio. As to the question about the contact info: no clue. I've just left that at the default.
I think it's time to download a codeplug and learn how to do this properly.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I think it's time to download a codeplug and learn how to do this properly
Programming a DMR radio (properly) can be challenging for a newbie so I would recommend some serious study beforehand. Although some basic analog concepts will apply, there are numerous differences in terminology and understanding. Hit some online tutorials and videos to save yourself much frustration. In addition, you could also download a known-good codeplug (just for study) to get some idea of how the programming works.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
BridgeCom Systems offers downloadable instructions for DMR codeplugs and multiple other topics for the AnyTone AT-D878. If you purchased the 878 from them you should have also received information on BridgeCom University. While there are many other websites out there with DMR info, here is the specific BridgeCom site for your radio, and one other website that has DMR info for AnyTone and others. The replies you've received thus far here on RR are suggesting that you avail yourself of this information, particularly in conjunction with obtaining a working codeplug (the Miklor site has sample codeplugs for your radio) -
AnyTone AT-D878UV/D878UVPLUS Support Page
Miklor Radio Information Site - Miklor

bobcrean

BridgeCom Systems offers downloadable instructions for DMR codeplugs and multiple other topics for the AnyTone AT-D878. If you purchased the 878 from them you should have also received information on BridgeCom University. While there are many other websites out there with DMR info, here is the specific BridgeCom site for your radio, and one other website that has DMR info for AnyTone and others. The replies you've received thus far here on RR are suggesting that you avail yourself of this information, particularly in conjunction with obtaining a working codeplug (the Miklor site has sample codeplugs for your radio) -
AnyTone AT-D878UV/D878UVPLUS Support Page
Miklor Radio Information Site - Miklor
Thank you very much for the links. I am working through the BridgeCom University "lessons"...There certainly is a lot there. There also appears to be a Vermont Codeplug for the 878 on their web site but I've not ventured to try loading it into the phone yet. I've not seen/heard of the Miklor site...Thanks for that. I'll dig in. Lot's to learn, that's for sure.

One thing I notice with both of my DMR radios, when I'm monitoring the local repeater(s), if stations involved in a QSO are in different areas, on different repeaters, and I'm monitoring them on yet another repeater, I may at times only hear one side of the conversation. My repeater will not be transmitting during one side of their QSO, but only for the other side. My guess is network routing is causing this.

This is different from your scenario, I realize, as you see the signal indicator but hear no audio.

I have noticed the same thing on several DMR radios. I think it is the nature of DMR networked repeaters. Not all of the transmissions come thru the local repeater. The responses about coverage and listening on the input frequency are not causing your problem. I have been very disappointed with the network in this area. I can switch to the same TG on several local repeaters and some are transmitting the QSO and some are not. It gets very interesting listening to a wide area net.

sckeith

Hello

New to DMR and using an Anytone 878. I'm looking at this thing with the green activity light but no audio. I see it fairly often and was wondering if it is someone sending or receiving a private message like when using parrot
Just wondering

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Generally private calls are discouraged. The green light says the frequency is busy. You may not have the correct color code, time slot, or or talk group. Your system may have a "parrot" talk group to hear you audio and that is a private call.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.