Why can't I use an outdoor antenna indoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eastie

I've seen on plenty of sites like scannermaster, that outdoor antennas can't be used indoors.:confused: Why is that?

I don't want my neighbors to see I have a scanner antenna, so I can't stick it on the roof. But I do want the level or reception it offers.

Eastie

Other than space, there is no reason you can't.

Thanks for the reply! Here is the antenna.. I should have added it in my first post.

Manufacturer TerraWave
Mfg. Model No. T09130Y11206
Product Description 824-960 MHz 13 dBi Yagi
Specific Freq. (MHz) 824-960 MHz
Gain (dBd) 10.86
Maximum Power Input (Watts) 100
Type Yagi (For Outdoor Use Only)

smackdaddy

I think the "outdoors only" more relate to transmitting. I wouldn't want that particular antenna near me indoors when transmitting at the rated 100W spec. That would be a really bad idea.

When it comes to receive only - no risk, go nuts indoors or out.

Cheers,
SD.

n1das

Eastie said:
I don't want my neighbors to see I have a scanner antenna, so I can't stick it on the roof. But I do want the level or reception it offers.

I'm curious to know a little more about the situation here. Nosey neighbors? Would the neighbors even know what it is for? Worried that the antenna on the roof is illegal (it's not)? Home Owner's Association (HOA) might get upset? Local zoning ordinances prohibiting rooftop antennas?

If it were MY antenna on my house, I would go ahead and stick the antenna up there and not worry about what any neighbors think. I would also be living in a neighborhood with no HOA to deal with. I currently live in an apartment complex, so I have to make do with indoor antennas only.

Good luck.

Smakdaddy beat me to it. 100 watts local radiation would be too high for indoors.

I haven't looked at the antenna you listed but I have to wonder why a yagi?

Yagi's are directional and most scanner antennas are omnidirectional.

Last edited:

wtp

or think small

an old friend of mine was using a 102 inch whip to try and receive 800mhz stuff, along with old wire and fittings. he was upset when i removed his stuff, put in a paperclip and got better reception (true story)

bonk83

for as nosey neighbors its none of there business what you put on your roof are in your yard

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You can use an outdoor antenna indoors, but with some caveats. In such an environment, you're going to be subject to lower signal levels (especially if you have aluminum siding and metal flashing in the roof) and possible interference from any number of household items.

To a certain extent you can try to find a 'hot spot' where the signals you want to hear come in best (walking about with a handheld, using NO antenna at all, is a crude but very simple way to find such hot spots), but nothing beats putting the antenna outside, up nice and high away from the house and all its potential noise sources

Mike

kc2kth

I've run a Diamond D130J discone in my attic for a dozen years now for my scanners. I do not use it for TX though. It doesn't work as well as it would outdoors, and for most of my listening it's overkill. It works though!

Status
Not open for further replies.