Why can't Sentinel do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMD

When I add sytems from the TACN to the FL, then I realize I forgot something, and add that to the FL, Sentinel creates another TACN. Why can't one be cut and pasted to the other?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
When I add sytems from the TACN to the FL, then I realize I forgot something, and add that to the FL, Sentinel creates another TACN. Why can't one be cut and pasted to the other?
It sounds like you are appending these from the main database. Is that correct?

For the "systems" that you are adding, are these actually the departments in use on the system? When you append a large system like TACN to a Favorites list in Sentinel. you can select only the departments you want, and append only those. However, in Sentinel, doing that also appends every site as well, because Sentinel does not know which site the talkgroups you selected are carried on.

If you remove the excess sites (those well out of range, for example), then you've ended up with specific departments, and just the sites you wanted. However, if you change the name of the appended system, from the name used in the database (Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)), to, say TACN Chattanooga. then try to add another department to that, Sentinel does not recognize it as the same system, so you get all those extra sites (that you did not want) again, into a new system named like the original before modification, Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN).

However, I've noticed in appending systems of interest in my area, that if I do not change the name, then I can append one or more additional departments to the system, without the excess baggage. But if, instead, I cut the name down to size, or to something more specific to what I want to add, then if I try appending another department, Sentinel then sends all the sites once again. I verified to myself, that if I were to change the name of the system back to what matches the main database, then I can pick & choose specfiic departments without getting sites I do not want.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A better approach is to add the entire system, and enable Location Control in your FL settings. Since talkgroups aren't scanned, there's no benefit to deleting departments from a trunked system. Turning on Location Control keeps the scanner from scanning unnecessary sites.

HMD

It sounds like you are appending these from the main database. Is that correct?

For the "systems" that you are adding, are these actually the departments in use on the system? When you append a large system like TACN to a Favorites list in Sentinel. you can select only the departments you want, and append only those. However, in Sentinel, doing that also appends every site as well, because Sentinel does not know which site the talkgroups you selected are carried on.

If you remove the excess sites (those well out of range, for example), then you've ended up with specific departments, and just the sites you wanted. However, if you change the name of the appended system, from the name used in the database (Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)), to, say TACN Chattanooga. then try to add another department to that, Sentinel does not recognize it as the same system, so you get all those extra sites (that you did not want) again, into a new system named like the original before modification, Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN).

However, I've noticed in appending systems of interest in my area, that if I do not change the name, then I can append one or more additional departments to the system, without the excess baggage. But if, instead, I cut the name down to size, or to something more specific to what I want to add, then if I try appending another department, Sentinel then sends all the sites once again. I verified to myself, that if I were to change the name of the system back to what matches the main database, then I can pick & choose specfiic departments without getting sites I do not want.
I see what you mean. Thanks.

HMD

A better approach is to add the entire system, and enable Location Control in your FL settings. Since talkgroups aren't scanned, there's no benefit to deleting departments from a trunked system. Turning on Location Control keeps the scanner from scanning unnecessary sites.
I have enabled location control.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Then there's zero benefit to deleting departments, and not much benefit to deleting sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.