Why can't the SDS adjust the filter and att automagically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imd

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but just about every thread where someone reports an issue regarding their SDS it gets a quick response of "ah, just adjust the filters and add attenuation, it worked for me".

Shouldn't the radio determine what the best filter and attenuation setting is continuously to achieve the best bit error rate or some other metric? Perhaps it does this now??

Also, I'm sure it's smart enough to figure out the amplitude of the audio for each transmission, why can't it adjust the volume dynamically instead of a fixed +/- 3 that applies to the entire TG?

Perhaps my expectations are too high, just seems like lots of little things that can be improved on that will never be.

nwadler436

Premium Subscriber
The filter portion has an automatic feature currently, I think it works quite well. I also don’t have time to minutely record the difference between off, automatic and normal. I know that global and inverted for my system were degrades so I go with what’s works best most of the time and enjoy the product.

Attenuation for me is a mute issue since I always leave it at 2. I mainly listen to only trunk systems so don’t worry about a lot of interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phask

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but just about every thread where someone reports an issue regarding their SDS it gets a quick response of "ah, just adjust the filters and add attenuation, it worked for me".

Shouldn't the radio determine what the best filter and attenuation setting is continuously to achieve the best bit error rate or some other metric? Perhaps it does this now??

Also, I'm sure it's smart enough to figure out the amplitude of the audio for each transmission, why can't it adjust the volume dynamically instead of a fixed +/- 3 that applies to the entire TG?

Perhaps my expectations are too high, just seems like lots of little things that can be improved on that will never be.

It will on auto, however it has to read the signal, change filter and re-read, that increases scan dwell time by at least a factor of 2. (as explained in the original post regarding filter).

imd

I suppose since the product is launched and is in sustaining mode, no improvements will be made to make auto work 'better'.. It's all software, more then 1 thing can happen at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.