Why cant they make a scanner that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GutWrench

comes in as clear as my portable from work?

I have two scanners, pro95 and a 296d and both of them suck as far as reception goes compared to my issued mts2000.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
GutWrench said:
comes in as clear as my portable from work?

I have two scanners, pro95 and a 296d and both of them suck as far as reception goes compared to my issued mts2000.

Well lets compare the cost of the scanners against the cost of your mts2000...

GutWrench

Thats BS. We are paying $500 for trunking scanners already but if the scanner manufaturers could make one that would come in as good as the mts200 I would be more then willing to pay for it.

mancow

Database Admin
Your MTS2000 wont' scan 25-1300 Mhz either.

Scanners are wideband devices. You have to give a little to get something and you have to give up some of the extra filtering to allow for the range. Otherwise, it would consist of basically numerous different radios all tuned to specific ranges and the cost would be insane.

kd7rto

mono-band scanners

mancow said:
Your MTS2000 wont' scan 25-1300 Mhz either.

Scanners are wideband devices. You have to give a little to get something and you have to give up some of the extra filtering to allow for the range. Otherwise, it would consist of basically numerous different radios all tuned to specific ranges and the cost would be insane.

In ham radio, there is a market for both multi-band as well as mono-band VHF/UHF equipment. So why not mono-band scanners? Anyone who is serious about this hobby is going to own multiple receivers, anyway.

I certainly would buy an 806-869 MHz only trunktracker, if it had rx performance comparable to commercial units.

JoeyC

In the grand scheme of things, the scanner hobby is very very small. Most scanner enthusiasts want multi-band radios so they can listen to a variety of things. For those hardcore enough to want to pay the huge bucks, there are MTS2000s and other pro radios.

jeffy

Clear

Gutwrench, are you talking about reception or the sound coming from the speaker? If it's the sound (clarity) I think manufactureres could do better with speakers. Some of the sound coming from scanner speakers IS pure B.S. Even $100 scanners ought to have speakers that don't sound muffled or distorted. My pro 89 sounds better than my pro 94. The people designing scanners can do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.