• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Why CB is DEAD

KC3ECJ

Can anyone recommend a USB charger that doesn't interfere with a CB?

Maybe that's why some don't get on CB as much.

cralt

President Randy,
There is a FM version of the Randy now. "Randy II". The little Bill got FM now also. Creatively named "Bill II" lol
President has 3 AM/FM FCC cert radios now. All modern design surface mount.
1.PNG

They put USB charger ports on them too so there is your RFI fix :whistle:
1.PNG

W8HDU

Has anyone performed an independent review of these radios, and perhaps even provided information on mods, etc? The Randy II would be something a lot of campers, hunters, and survivalists might find interesting since FRS/GMRS UHF is bad in the woods and thick brush. CB and low band is preferred as you can punch through the foliage.

The allure of the CB-27, (and to some extent the CB-58), was the fact they could receive, and transmit from 26.6100 and 30.1050, and there was a mention in a U.K. forum of a mod which got you 12-meters. The caveat was that 12-meters and 10-meters, lost about 1.25 watts output due to the PA being peaked for channel 20 (27.20500). I picked one up for monitoring 29.600 FM.

If you hear of any independent reviews, cralt, please post a link.

cralt

I haven't seen any mods to their FCC radios. If you look in side there is no pots or jumpers. Its all modern surface mount. I think the target market for these "FCC" radios is people looking for a simple radio to get the job done. IE all you have to know is turn to channel X and press the PTT to talk.

I have a 2 year old AM only Bill in my jeep and its been solid. A friend has the same experience. The auto squelch works surprisingly good.

This video has some clips of the FM mode from the Randy.

I have a Uniden 401HH as a spotter/loaner radio and the biggest issue is it getting knocked off channel and non-radio people struggling with the squelch. I plan on getting a Randy so can put it on the right channel and hit the key LOCK. Then just hand it off and let the auto squelch do its thing .
The only reason I didn't get one sooner is I was waiting for the FM version to come out in case the mode catches on in the future.

Last edited:

slowmover

“Traditional” CB styling is easy to use in a truck. I have a Lincoln, but the controls are not easy to use by touch while underway.

The whole market is too small. That’s by design. Wouldn’t be a good thing if Americans owned the means of communication. Demand won’t be there until it matters

As to those of whom you don’t approve buying better quality equipment for their own use? What business is it of yours?

Get something decent and be done with it.

In the meantime a 955-type radio has a great sound and many happy owners. Much of what you own was hauled by men using what you decry.

Hope you have an above-average mobile system. What help or example you make for others in that is where duty lays. Not belly-aching.

slowmover

I’ve written before about the Randy that it’s no different than a Uniden 880 when substituted in the mobile system. That is to say, good. (I see Eric agrees).

Better, as one can be free from electrical mains or vehicles for periods of time of one’s own choosing.

Figure out the antenna system (as with any radio), and have some fun.

It’s not expensive and it’s nice to use.
A shirt pocket CB radio.

From there on up depending on a walk-about antenna. A dipole at the other end of your property. A rental car.

BDC369E3-AAD0-48B0-9803-287DEB4BD9BB.jpeg
RANDY II FCC- AM-transceivers - CB-Radios - Group President Electronics USA

Scan, NOAA and VOX.

Last edited:

slowmover

Can anyone recommend a USB charger that doesn't interfere with a CB?

Maybe that's why some don't get on CB as much.

I use these.

https://palomar-engineers.com/ferri...oise-Filter-Bulk-Pack-of-10-Filters-p90491965

A7FDFF06-926E-4579-8819-38142914E4BA.png

I usually don’t have trouble with latest. I nonetheless — as insurance — install these for what I use in the big truck or personal vehicle.

A few days ago wrapped the cords for the chargers of the Uniden BC906W Wireless Mic and for the PRESIDENT Liberty Mic I have here.

Ferrites: Fill a bucket and slowly pour at every junction.

Last edited:

slowmover

Listen to channel 6 in any urban area and you hear plenty of the "brothers" doing their thing. usually with high power illegal amplifiers. CB provides cheap and quick comm between mobiles who are travelling together, off roading, etc. CB has its niche, and is hardly dead. Another tool in the comms toolbox.

As they stay on the Channel 6 Toilet Bowl, they aren’t a problem for the rest of us.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
— How’s anyone going to tell the guy pulling a ski boat going past that he has a flat tire?

— Or that a wreck has just occurred in the opposing lanes of the Interstate?

Tough luck for them, right?

Most of that and then some can be accomplished with Waze

Have you installed any AM or HF gear in newer vehicles? PWM fuel pumps and all the onboard computers wipe out receivers no matter how much you bond and how many mix 31 toroids you place over harnesses , coax , and power leads.

RadioDXfun

Omni low angle radiator
A view from the UK. I was a CB skip enthusiast and did very well over here. Actual CB is extremely quiet in the UK. Now if you parked up on a nice tall hill you could make a few of the scheduled nets and have a better chance with DX. The noise floor much like ham radio is a big issue. Most cbers are fighting very high noise floors.

The nets are ok but after a while you realize they are boring, you get your ten mins out of 2 hours saying hello and seeing who you can reach. The trouble is people on a net put in different amounts of effort that are not reflected in talk time. So someone with a coile reduced 1/4 wave mag mount on the car roof who cannot be bothered to be there when it is their go gets the same time as someone who is a careful listener putting a full size 5/8 wave antenna at 30 foot on a hill in a tree. The latter clearly benefiting all cbers on the net in terms of distances achieved. Which could be 60, 100 or 180miles.. some evenings with a bit of tropo... 230 miles can be achieved hill to hill, if lucky.

Other than that it is a few die hard locals here and there. As we know the main fun element is shooting skip on the known frequencies.

I loved it, then kind of got tired of it. Now I am a fully licenced ham and am speaking just as far with many more unusual DX entities on 100W with my own DIY antenna systems. Having a break for a while as other life issue take precedence. I'll be back and it will be a lot of fun again no doubt.

Radio is a superb hobby but we all need our little breaks from time to time.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Somewhat dead in western Ohio. But in the woods in the north, and especially on Drummond Island I hear a lot of traffic from offroad guys on channel 4. CB works better in the woods etc, as UHF just get absorbed.
Is there a Drummond Island in Ohio, or do you visit the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?

W8HDU

The Drummond Island up in the U.P.

Drummond.jpg

We also use CB when we're in the Munising area or out west in the Porkies.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
That is until cell phone towers & the internet go down.

How are repeaters immune from power outages? SCADA failures - they are dependent upon the internet to activate LNG generator switch overs for many systems? If the infrastructure goes down, we're all going with it - just at various dates.