Why did you get the SDS100 over the SDS200 or vice-versa?

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
I bought the SDS-200 because I wanted a base unit, liked it so much bought the SDS-100 for portable/mobile usage.
I also added Jon’s internal GPS receiver to my SDS-100. Both have great displays, a little disappointed on the reception of the
vhf/uhf aircraft band.
73, Rex

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Uniden gave me both for free so no decision on my part.

Sorry, I just had to as I hadn’t been accused of getting free scanners from them in years.

Nice! GREEN WITH ENVY!

You know he's kidding right? Moderators never got anything free from Uniden but always were accused of in the past.

I doubt it.

I use the 100, because it fits in a backpack pocket easier than a console-queen 200.
No, @KevinC was kidding.

lbashaw

Hard to believe, but late last summer, I was at a garage sale in Houston, and found an SDS200 for sale, marked $25.00. The lady managing the booth said she knew nothing about it, but thought is was type of clock radio. I asked to plug it in & test it...it seemed to work perfectly. So that's how I ended up with the 200. Maybe I should have felt guilty, right? (Not!!!)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hard to believe, but late last summer, I was at a garage sale in Houston, and found an SDS200 for sale, marked $25.00. The lady managing the booth said she knew nothing about it, but thought is was type of clock radio. I asked to plug it in & test it...it seemed to work perfectly. So that's how I ended up with the 200. Maybe I should have felt guilty, right? (Not!!!)
That's incredible luck! You've heard of buyer beware, this was a case of.. seller beware.

All she had to do was Google it.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
WOW...
Talk about being in the right place at the right time... (y)

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have been a storm spotter for over 30 years with two different sheriff's departments. For the first 20+ years we had assigned spotting stations, and the portable allowed me to keep tabs on the county dispatchers and MPSCS. My first scanner was a 4 crystal hand held from Radio Shack.

Mutty2023

I'm curious about you SDS owners here in the forum. When you decided to get one over the other, what were your main decision points? I know the reasons might be many, but I think it's interesting to learn who the majority are and why they/you have decided to go one way over the other.
I just got the SDS200, never got a mobile. I always have had a base scanner!

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
How well would it work if someone has a good attic or roof antenna connected to a scanner at home that covers the areas you normally travel in, and stream using the programs from ProScan that allow full access to the scanner and then listen thru a mobile phone with your earphones or bluetooth connected to your vehicles sound system? There would be nothing to steal from your car and you always have your mobile phone with you and any phone calls would automatically mute the scanner audio. Would you then need an extra scanner in your vehicle?

/Ubbe
Sounds like a winning idea indeed. However, I prefer to have my scanner with me while I am out because I am touchy-feely, switching systems on and off in the menu as my area changes so I am not scanning through so many systems. When I am going back and forth between home and our second house in the western part of the state, there are a lot of systems I listen to during the three-hour trip (one-way) both coming and going. While driving around town or county I have been known to forget my phone because I am not tied at the hip to it. If I happen to leave it at home while out running errands I don't think much about it as I don't suffer from nomophobia. To each their own a they say. ;)

Last edited: