Why do Marine Radios...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph11

Most people will have to buy a new radio in order for that to work. Also, note that marine radio is international.

BTW, a transmission in CSQ doesn't go any futher than a transmission with a PL/DPL (as long as you don't listen with the PL/DPL).

K5MAR

The marine freqs are open freqs, to use a CTCSS tone would defeat the system. All users need/are supposed to be able to hear each other. There are no private conversations on the marine freqs.

Mark

nd5y

K5MAR said:
The marine freqs are open freqs, to use a CTCSS tone would defeat the system. All users need/are supposed to be able to hear each other. There are no private conversations on the marine freqs.

Mark

That isn't entirely true. A lot of marine radios have what is known as DSC (Digital Selective Calling) which is used both on HF and VHF.

iamhere300

nd5y said:
That isn't entirely true. A lot of marine radios have what is known as DSC (Digital Selective Calling) which is used both on HF and VHF.

Spoken like a Motorola salesperson....

DSC does not mean a private conversation, it only is a way of signalling.

Mozilla

Marine

The intent for a portion of the marines channels is for safety, rescue and boater information. Putting a tone or PL on it would defeat the purpose of broadcast and also cause " collisions between traffic, due to PL toned calls not hearing the csq'd traffic.

Also, lets face it... mismatched pl tones, failure to monitor etc, would just make things worse. As to DCS... heres a little primer...
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/dsc.htm

HT-220

WB2ZRP,WRTR873
if you use them inland there's no one else on that band so they make great business or personal radios. and if you need pl or dpl it's very easy to add with any of the after market boards.

SCPD

QRT
HT-220 said:
if you use them inland there's no one else on that band so they make great business or personal radios. and if you need pl or dpl it's very easy to add with any of the after market boards.

Such use is illegal.

N

N_Jay

HT-220 said:

The comment of a 25 year licensed Amateur operator? :roll: :roll:

Hmm, maybe we should not b!tch about the new no-code guys!

mastr

I can't remember who said, "If you can't set a fine example, then be a horrible warning"; but it is applicable here. Why do so many amateurs think that the FCC somehow conveys carte-blanche for DC to Daylight with such a license?

W

N

N_Jay

mastr said:
I can't remember who said, "If you can't set a fine example, then be a horrible warning"; but it is applicable here. Why do so many amateurs think that the FCC somehow conveys carte-blanche for DC to Daylight with such a license?

W

Not to get too far off topic, or for this to be taken as some sort of personal attack;
BUT

For a person who has 20 posts,
Two of which suggest using marine frequencies for non-marine use,
Two calling other people "Wackers"
One congratulating someone on getting their license,
And One declaring;
"I've had mine since 1972 and have never talked on or owned any ham radio. Most hams I've met over the years are nerdy, goofy oddballs and I want no part of them."

I don't think his Amateur license has anything to do with his bad judgment.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
A few comments:
  1. Using a marine radio in the interior (not on water) as pointed out is illegal.
  2. Using a marine radio on land without special authorization is illegal.
  3. The FCC grants other services the use of marine frequencies (including Public Safety) where such operation will not interfere with marine use; like in the interior areas mentioned.
  4. A person who has had a ham radio license since 1972 but has only had it for 25 years cannot add and subtract well enough to have ever been licensed (especially in 1972).
  5. A person who has had a ham radio license since 1972 would have had to renew it several times by now, it makes one wonder why he/she would bother if they don't use it.
  6. The original question was asked and answered.
For the above reasons and to prevent this from going further "south", I am going to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.