Why do some talkgroups have X's next to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magwolf57

Why are their certain cities and talkgroups have an X next to them not allowing you to import or listen to them. I am trying to get the Mooresville, NC PD to work.

N8IAA

Why are their certain cities and talkgroups have an X next to them not allowing you to import or listen to them. I am trying to get the Mooresville, NC PD to work.

Without knowing what scanner you are trying to program, and what system (Mooresville, or VIPER), we can't help answer those questions:)

Larry

mm

X means it is using encryption and the modulation is analog FM so basically you cannot decode it and that's why it doesn't download to your radio, no sense listening to white noise with a very brief tone at the end of each transmission.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
I haven't used the import feature on any of my scanners. I will tell you, however, that there should be no encryption in use on the Mooresville TRS, much less by Mooresville PD. It sounds like something may have downloaded into the scanner incorrectly during the import. Hopefully some of the members familiar with importing will chime in and help you with your settings. That is my educated guess on what's going on.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Without knowing what scanner you are trying to program, and what system (Mooresville, or VIPER), we can't help answer those questions:)

Larry

These are the important questions that need to be answered :)

Magwolf57--Please respond to this thread letting us know:
1) what model scanner you are using
and
2) what software package you are using.
Once we know the answers to the above questions we can help you out.
Thanks
Marshall KE4ZNR

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Magwolf57,

To follow up, Mooresville PD has not been carried on VIPER on a regular basis if that is the system you've been trying to monitor. Please chime in and let us know how we may help further!!!

scannerfreak

Database Admin
My guess is the "X" is referring to some of the PSR series radios or the RS Pro-107. They all use the "X" in the software library to display items that cannot be monitored by that particular scanner. In the case of the PSR 800, that would be encrypted talkgroups or digital/analog formats that cannot be received by scanners such as Provoice, etc.

In this case, since none of the above with the PSR 800 appears to apply with those systems, I'd say the OP has an analog scanner such as the PSR 700 or Pro-107 and is trying to import digital talkgroups and thus the "X" is being displayed next to them because those aren't digital scanners and cannot receive the digital talkgroups.

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin

X = analog encryption. Hover your mouse over the "Mode" heading above talkgroups and it gives you a legend that describes all of the possible transmission modes.

I fail to see your issue though...there are no labeled talkgroups displaying X as their mode in Iredell or any of the surrounding counties. Mooresville PD is digital, which may sound like encryption if you're trying to use an analog scanner to listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.