Why do you all enjoy using DMR?

RFI-EMI-GUY

The problem with vocoding is that the transmit audio levels presented to the vocoder are often arbitrary.

In analog FM it was understood, and well documented how to set levels into an FM exciter for maximum dynamic range and linearity. Any reasonably competent tech knew how to do this with a systems analyzer.

Conversely, while the designers of P25 and DMR equipment added various gain adjustments, compressors, widgets, and AGC, but provide no method of measuring the results. You could listen with a companion digital radio, but the problem is that the audio is encoded and decoded in such a way that the dynamic range is limited. With good pro audio equipment, the ADC often provides a front panel indication of when the ADC runs out of "bits" aka " Max Headroom".

The P25 systems I have listened to have audio variations from one end to the other, very low audio, to blasting muffled audio, from consoles and sometimes, rarely, a clean natural transmission that sounds like FM analog.

KC2CQD

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I am trying to understand why ham's use DMR? My impression was that (most) ham's passion is about using radio waves to communicate (and part of the fun is to find the best technology solution - antenna etc.).

DMR is a digitally transmitted communication medium - and so in many ways more similar to Whatsapp, Zoom, Skype etc. etc. vs. being a ham radio (unless a local, range limited contact is established)

I have monitored some brandmeister chats. It is very common to hear participants to be excited to talk to a person from a new country or continent and consider the connection an achievement. But is there not ZERO achievement in overcoming distance if the connection happens via the internet? Is it not equally simple (or difficult) to talk to someone 50 km's away or 15000 km's away if both use the internet to connect?

My point is DMR is really not a classic ham technology anymore - it is a new digital technology very different from classic radio wave communications.

So why is there still such a big followership? Thank you for sharing: I am really interested to understand.
For some, I guess I can see the appeal behind the use of DMR and other network based modes for one simple reason.
If I can download and use EchoLink for free or connect a DMR rig to the net for no more than my monthly broadband fee Vs. spending THOUSANDS of dollars for an HF radio and MANY HUNDREDS more on coax, antennas and all the mounting equipment...well...you know.

I mean, why are we still paying SO FRIGGIN MUCH for technology that is literally 100+ years old?

Then there's SDR...you think Realtek would have ever guessed their WiFi chip could be used to make a $30 cigarette lighter sized dongle to make a receiver that could out-frequency-range a general coverage receiver costing $1000 or more?

When I got my Tech license and used an HT202 or my Kenny TH75A, the HF hams called me an "Appliance Operator".
Once local repeater owner FORBID EchoLink on his repeater....now he's on a network that covers the entire east coast.....over the net.

I don't get it at ALL.