Why do you all enjoy using NXDN?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I'm going OT here, but, has anyone tried NXDN on the ham bands. Different that DMR or P25?
Yes, and I like it better, but even the linked stuff has very little traffic. I personally wish there was more infrastructure available and more people using it.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I'm going OT here, but, has anyone tried NXDN on the ham bands. Different that DMR or P25?
It exists… some hotspots support it and RepeaterBook has a filter to include/exclude it in a search. There just aren’t as many manufacturers offering NXDN products at “ham prices”, so it’s not as common. You can do everything you can do with DMR as far as a hotspot is concerned, as long as the hotspot supports NXDN.

-B

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Haven't used it on ham, although I do have some VHF capable NXDN radios.
I am using it on my trunked system at work. It works really well and if set up correctly, the audio is really good. I suspect, however, that not all hams would set it up right, "out of the box" settings usually are not right for all applications.

It is limited by available radios. I think I've looked a few times for NXDN repeaters near me, and the only ones were UHF.

Cognomen

Yes. Personally, I like it because I am lucky to have access to inexpensive good-quality used gear. Sounds good when audio is set up properly; 1-chip radios with poor audio just aren't being manufactured. When repeater pairs are scarce, we can split the channel and jam four 6.25kHz repeaters into one 25kHz analog assignment.

My daily-carry radios (VHF and UHF) are equipped with NXDN, DMR, and P25. My main profiles have NXDN and DMR enabled, which is what I use most.

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
i dont think they have any uhf repeaters in the hartford ct area, but if they did i would like to try it.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
When repeater pairs are scarce, we can split the channel and jam four 6.25kHz repeaters into one 25kHz analog assignment.
So much for adjacent channel interference