Why do you keep using your Pro 2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I have an opto456 lite in mine but usually do not control it that way. I use it for UHF local monitoring and air band. I clean the keypad every year or 2 but all in all it's great. I have modded it per Bill Cheek, replaced 2 back lights, installed a new volume control due to wear and will never get rid of it. It's immunity to strong out of band signals is second to none in it's price class.

Dave

I have to agree with you. The image rejection and front end on these radios is awesome!

Anyone know of any being sold?
Yes we do!

pro-2006, Scanners, CB Radio. Great deals on eBay!

Manny

Last edited:

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
Six scanners on most of the time. My 2006 is on top of a speaker in my living room, it hears the local conv. PD/Fire/Pub.works. Nothing else, just my little podunk town, it's on 24/7! I hear when the city is working on the streets and when our local Andy Griffith is busting some kids for smoking downtown. You know, heartbeat of America.
I traded my neighbor a junky surround sound receiver for the Pro-2006 sitting on a shelf in his basement.

poppafred

I bought the first Pro-2004 the local Radio Shack received when they first came out.

Right now, it is sitting in the living room, connected to a tri-band ham antenna, scanning away on the VHF and UHF frequencies.

I love it so much, I bought an almost new second one in 2007. That rig sits beside my bed and runs 24/7/52.

When I bought the replacement illumination strip, I got two because I intend to keep the Pro-2004 going until it literally burns out. That may be tomorrow but until then, my little jewel will continue to brighten my day.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
To this day I kick myself in the arse for selling my 2006. It was the best scanner ever built, period.

brandon

Database Admin
I have a Pro-2006 mostly used for aircraft monitoring. I purchased from a guy on here a year or two ago. No mods to my knowledge and this appears to be a Canadian or European version since there are no 800 Mhz gaps and the box in French.

CompuDoc

I have a Pro-2006 mostly used for aircraft monitoring. I purchased from a guy on here a year or two ago. No mods to my knowledge and this appears to be a Canadian or European version since there are no 800 Mhz gaps and the box in French.

Mine is USA and does not have any gaps in the 800Mhz band thanks to a little mod I did but even that band is useless now as they all use digital. Had it since I bought it brand new and wondering who I am going to give it to in my will. Maybe a niece since she is in law enforcement or perhaps a nephew who will be in law enforcement probably by next summer.

muzzonz

Backlight replacement

Hi all! I have read the threads about replacing the backlight on the PRO2006, of which I have one and the backlight is very dim. I ordered and received a replacement, from a very helpful Ham in the US, but the replacement is a lot bigger than the original. I believe I now have an EL5 panel and the original is an EL501 ...? I have seen some postings about trimming the panel to fit ... but I would need to cut off quite a bit for this to fit, both width and length. Before wrecking a perfectly good backlight .... can anyone tell me if I have the correct backlight to put back in the scanner. This is my first time working with these type of panels - so do not know about cutting them etc. Here is a photo of the comparison - hope it comes through ok.

Thanks!

Graham ZL3TV
New Zealand

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Where is the picture?

Hi all! I have read the threads about replacing the backlight on the PRO2006, of which I have one and the backlight is very dim. I ordered and received a replacement, from a very helpful Ham in the US, but the replacement is a lot bigger than the original. I believe I now have an EL5 panel and the original is an EL501 ...? I have seen some postings about trimming the panel to fit ... but I would need to cut off quite a bit for this to fit, both width and length. Before wrecking a perfectly good backlight .... can anyone tell me if I have the correct backlight to put back in the scanner. This is my first time working with these type of panels - so do not know about cutting them etc. Here is a photo of the comparison - hope it comes through ok.

Thanks!

Graham ZL3TV
New Zealand

First of all, welcome to Radio Reference Graham! You have made one of the wisest choices in this hobby by coming here for information. Now, as far as the EL light goes, cutting the material with fine scissors to match the original is ok. Just be very careful not to chop or cut crooked lines. I replaced my Pro-2006 EL light this way and it worked just fine. Be very careful in removing the old one and replacing it. That new material is very easy to rip or tear after it is cut. I'm not familiar with the EL5. I know that the original is EL501 as you mentioned.

Manny

muzzonz

Backlight update

Hi Manny, thanks for the reply - much appreciated. I have just had an email from the helpful ham in the US who sourced the backlight for me. It seems we got the wrong one. I ended up with an EL5 and the one I am wanting is an EL501. The EL5 is 5" long, whereas the EL501 is just 3 1/4 " long, so that would have been a LOT to trim off perhaps? I am sending the EL5 back and will be getting the EL501 sent to me instead.

Graham

drivinflyin

The Pro 2006 was my very first scanner back in the late 80's. Ahhh the good old days of scanning and snooping. The diode mod was so easy and the entertainment NONSTOP. I don't mind that we can no longer hear cell phones. I still turn mine on now and then. Great for conventional freqs. Our local TS's have all gone digital, so no more of that on the 2006. Back then, you had to memorize what frequency was what. When the Pro-43 came out I ended up replacing the keypad twice from using it on so many road trips--this saved my Pro-2006. I love the present era of scanning with Radio Reference Data Base, Win 500 and alpha tags and huge trunked systems.

poppafred

I did the diode mod to get the 400 channel memory.

I found an XLS file on the internet that lets you print out a replacement keypad cover that has the correct channel breakdown for the 400 channel memory. I have to replace it every year or so as the paper shows fingerprints and skin oils after a time. It also protects the original key pad surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.