Why do you keep using your Pro 2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldglide

I bought mine brand new a long time ago. I don't think a day has gone by since then that it hasn't been on for at least an hour a day. Yeah it's antique technology but almost total band coverage and unbelievable long term reliability. I've had several brand new scanners come and go, broke, too expensive to repair, and a great set of ears.

mrkelso

The 2006 was The workhorse for base scanners at one time. I bought mine new and it is currently with a single mom neighbor who needed some added security in knowing that her police and fire department were on the job. Plus she is very nosey lol

GumbyCT

It turns out the Pro-2004 that I thought died was accidentally unplugged. But that is good news :)
24*7 since 1984

well then it had a brief respite in late 2009.
Yea, I had to put a 9V battery in it too.

Some of the freqs were still there while others had changed. But I am happy to have it back. Just need to clean the volume control a bit.

jak122

I bought my first one new, modified it for computer control à la Bill Cheek style, then later added extended memory in the same fashion.
Bought the second one used and already modified with extended memory and a few extras.

Even though I have a Pro-2096 and two Pro-197s, I still have both 2006s running every time I'm home because there's tons of stuff on the airwaves not digital and/or trunked.

This leaves the digital scanners dedicated to the ALMR system and any other P25 communications that may occur, as well as some extra analog activity.

Although I'm not in a large metropolitan area, even in a city/borough of 30,000+ one can receive plenty of chatter: marine band, CB, FRS, GMRS, dog catcher, cruise ships, tour guides, businesses, aircraft, etc.

Add up all the things to listen to coupled with your imagination and you've quite the entertainment scenario!

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Mine keeps ticking. Sat for a bunch of years in a closet, dusted it off and now it's my feed scanner. Audio is nice and full and powerful. Speed is decent. My built in power supply is on the fritz and radiates noise so I power it on my 50A bench supply here now, no problems.

Modded for 800 coverage years and years ago. Possibly modded for higher scan speed, I even forget. I recently replaced the EL backlight with a new strip.

I'll miss it if it dies. Most of the things on the air around here are still analog so it still works fine.

It rejects close proximity HF RFI far better than the 396XT I have and I don't think I've ever had any intermod issues with it.

freqs

I still use my 2006 every day for all sorts of communications DPW /Trash Trucks/Big 3 factory comms/and even Oakland Co Trunked System it dont track it but it monitor's it great .Will not part with my 2006 .

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
My baby is still going strong!
I have what has to be the rarest Pro-2006 around today! Back in the day, a company sold an aftermarket search and store module for the Pro-2005/6 series scanners. Here is a picture of it: The PS-90
Pro-2006 Mods pictures from project spotlight photos on webshots
This allowed the radio to store search findings automaticaly to a preset bank and amount of channels depending on which position you set the included dip switch to.
I have also done the signal strength meter mods and center tune mod that doubles as a discriminator tap.
The case is in brand new condition. The EL light is the only thing I have had to replace. I still have my Bill Cheek mod books, the original screw on antenna, the manual and service manual. Damm, I think I still have the original box stored somewhere too. I dont care how many new scanners I get, my 2006 is not going anywhere......Here are so more pics.....
Front:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2436360680021435046LKYgbV
Top:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2095855950021435046AaKHBY
Rear:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2438629600021435046sVZPss

Manny

Last edited:

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I have two of them with OptoScan 456 boards in them and I control them with a couple of old laptops running Probe. They have been running 24/7/356 for about 5 or 6 years now. Rock Solid.
I think the 2006 was one of the most popular (and most modified) scanners ever.
It is a great piece of hardware.

SCPD

QRT
I did a mod on my Pro 2006 so that the display is off at a touch of the dimmer button. It has saved the life of the display.

I until recently was using my Pro 2006 as a discriminator tapped scanner for Etrunker.

Well .. I found that it didn't do that so well so it was replaced with a Uniden BC780XLT (which is doing a much better job). :eek:

So .. my Pro2006 is sitting there doing nothing, and honestly I think I would rather use a newer scanner as it doesn't have tags like the newer models.

If I need a scanner just to do a little scanning .. it may come back to life, but likely I will use something like a 246T or PSR500 instead.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
I have an opto456 lite in mine but usually do not control it that way. I use it for UHF local monitoring and air band. I clean the keypad every year or 2 but all in all it's great. I have modded it per Bill Cheek, replaced 2 back lights, installed a new volume control due to wear and will never get rid of it. It's immunity to strong out of band signals is second to none in it's price class.

Dave

smason

I almost listed my 2004 and 2006 after I modernized with a PSR600 and a BCT15. I love the speed of the new scanners, and the tags, but mostly the remote computer control.
But I just can't part with them. Probe is a bit of a pain to run under Linux, but it really makes the 2006 sing and dance.

nova1010

I use mine for FM radio,analog scanning and searching,bought it around 3 years ago for $25US case was a little rough(tuct tape and all :lol: )
Internally it was mint and works like new,still a great scanner for its age.

If you find a cheap one somewhere a recomment you buy it.(very easy to mod too)

Status
Not open for further replies.