Why do you love your whistler scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
This is great! I just really have to wonder for all the scanner listeners that are near localities that have pro-voice systems, what scanners they are using? I get it, whistler now has dmr as well as uniden. But this leads me to believe that unless I'm missing something, if you have a RadioShack or whistler scanner in a pro-voice area, you just have to listen to analog talkgroups. Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I can say is in my area the only Pro Voice is encrypted. Compared to P25, DMR, and NXDN, how much Pro Voice is left nationwide?

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
There are at least 6-12 nationwide that I know of including two here in va that are still on pro-voice not encrypted

Ed6698

I like my WS 1080 and 1095 because they work great and sound fantastic for what I listen to.

In my location I can pick up 2 different P25 simulcast systems just about perfect using RS 800mhz antennas. Not to much DMR or NXDN in my area that would interest me to get a new scanner yet if I wanted NXDN.

I would not mind getting a new scanner though, both P25 systems I monitor can get real busy at times. Both scanners are programmed exactly the same as far as stuff to listen to, just the selected scan lists are different at times, depending how I want them setup between the 2, but even with 2 scanners I still miss stuff because the systems are so busy at times. Bottom line these scanners just work exactly the way I need them to. Never have had a issue with either scanner, best thing was my 1095 only cost me $325 about 1 1/2 years ago.

roger51

As the title suggests, I want to know specifically what you love about your whistler scanner? What does it do that you love about it?

Please no gripes or complaints about it.

I am really like TRX1 and more customer support and I wish some day can be type chinese language for asia.Thanks from TAIWAN Roger

kf7yn

One of the reasons I love my Whistler scanners (TRX-2 and WS-1095) is because Whistler is proactive with the average Joe who asks Whistler Wendy questions and makes suggestions here, and gets answers. Plus the customer support is great and I love the programming and operating interface. Great job Whistler!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Let me count the ways. . .

Just off the top of my head. . .

1. V-Folders.
2. Scan lists and scan sets.
3. More responsive, better sounding DSP.

I do love my 436, but these three alone are winners in my book. I especially like the ability to select V-Folders I've configured in advance when I'm traveling. So flexible.

And separate scan lists of various talkgroups which share common system settings are tough to beat. More consistent performance, and it's much easier to directly select a scan list.

I'm sure I could come up with more. . . . :D

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I originally ONLY chose Whistler (1098) because of the remote head. My new toyota highlander was not radio friendly for fitting the DIN-sized BCT15x that I love and adore and could make sing anywhere in California, and I didn't realize the Uniden remote head was discontinued long ago. I wasn't sure about buying a scanner from a CB company, but everyone here seemed to love this dark horse, and my hand was forced with remote head, so I took the plunge.

Now, compared to the 15x, I've come to like the additional space (200 scanlists vs 100 systems, and eventually v-scanners as I re-think things), and ability to toggle a channel priority off/on. I only have 1 boring Moto T2 system nearby so I don't get to play much in other trunking unless I travel, and digital is pretty minimal still up here in Northern CA. So can't sing praise of Phase2/simulcast/DMR like others can. I have a love/hate relationship with RadioReference but enjoy the ability to save time by loading up some data from the library and fine-tuning afterwards, vs. hand-entering it all.

What I don't like still (or "why I miss my 15x"), I hate the programming software still (but it's a love/hate relationship, I've learned to cope), the physical buttons are very small and cheap-feeling compared to the 15x, requiring a precise well-defined tip of finger press, vs a quick not-precise push of the finger for the 15x, with crappy button backlight. This is huge for me while mobile, easy drive-by-braille on the 15x but have to take eyes off road to operate the 1098, and any bump in the road negates any precise finger press.

I also still don't fully trust my RX on the 1098, I feel I'm losing conventional reception during a priority channel check or something, where it stops on a decent conversation that I know will last a bit, then the priority check happens (maybe 5 channels at 2.5sec interval) and the scanner doesn't return to the conversation that I know was at hand. I'm almost tempted to throw the 15x on the pax seat with a magmount and see if true or I'm just going crazy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.