Why do you monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin96

I listen all the time! I like to know what is goin on in the area. I am a megga waker...thats my nick name at the fire department "waka" lol...i always have a radio or pager on me, if i dont i feel naked. I have been a waker my whole life since i can rember pulling a radio out of the ambulance at my aunts FAS. I have to have a radio or scanner with me unless i am out of the tri county area

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
I love scanning not because I am nosy BUT I feel its a public safety tool which I use daily. Being a public safety officer I have learned so MUCH from listening to our brave professionals every day that I believe its made me a better officer since listening. I also enjoy tryimg to dx the bands to see how far I can hear a signal. I have frequency specific antennas to try to get a little gain to the receiver.

SCPD

QRT
I listen all the time! I like to know what is goin on in the area. I am a megga waker...thats my nick name at the fire department "waka" lol...i always have a radio or pager on me, if i dont i feel naked. I have been a waker my whole life since i can rember pulling a radio out of the ambulance at my aunts FAS. I have to have a radio or scanner with me unless i am out of the tri county area

Your a Whacker! or a Troll, take your pick.

Last edited:

nydxa

Why I listen..

Started listening in mid 1960's - before the days of "scanners". In those days "police radios" were tunable. My 1st radio was a tunable receiver made by Lafayette. 90% of PD and FD activity was on VHF, with some low band. Upgraded to "Sonar" FR-102DX which at the time was a very high end radio - 7 tubes!

Since have owned probably 20 different scanners including Bearcat 101 which was probably 1st programable radio.

Today, I listen for all of the above reasons, at least one radio is on 24x7x365. PRO-2006 has not been shut off in 12 years - I kid you not! Probably biggest reason is my son is on local FD and Ilike knowing he's OK.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
1. I listen to the various counties and agencies when I'm out storm chasin'.
2. Entertained by the occasional 'crazy call'.
3. Listen for the high speed chase so I can stay away from it and not get broadsidded at some intersection.
4. "I wonder what's burning over there?"
5. Avoiding accident scenes, especially on the interstate.
6. I work on aircraft doing test flights; I listen for the test crew calling back with a status.

Status
Not open for further replies.