Why do you (we) listen to scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stchamber11

I have been asked this from variuos people, "why do you listen?"

Why do listen. Is it interesting, are you nosey, do you just need to know what is happening all the time around your town?

Mine is interest, and needing to know what is happening. More now that I am into scanning!

How about you?

jobes

Feed Provider
Well informed and without the BS of the TV/newspaper bull. Also a longtime listener of close to forty years now I could never give my "true" news feed up!

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
You've asked an important question!

I monitor the goings on in my area because I believe that awareness of what's happening in your surroundings helps you to keep your family safer. In times of disaster (hurricane, etc.) I feel it's important to stay abreast of the situation. I have a radio in my car to help keep me safe on the road by hearing about accidents, electrical outages, police chases, and other stuff that I'd like to avoid in my travels. Another reason I listen is to hear the description of suspects and vehicles, so that if I happen to notice them I can alert the proper authorities.

I also have weather radios to alert me to approaching storms, and handitalkies for communication in case cell towers go down.

I think we should do all we can to protect our rights to enjoy our hobby and monitor the airwaves, which is why I am a member of ARRL.

tgbrengel

Premium Subscriber
I like to listen what's going on at work when I'm not there. When I'm at work, I scan surrounding communities so I'm aware of what's going on in case we are called to assist or something comes our way. Been scanning for years, I enjoy it as a hobby and it's very helpful when at work to provide mutual aide.

Scandxer

Because walkie talkies are cool and fun toys! :) Lol

Because Scanners are pure and raw information sources. It's present moment. Right now. It's Reality.

Because You never know whats going to happen next.

IMO, 80% of the stuff that happens doesn't' even get reported. And I like to know whats occurring before the media spins it.

It never amazes me how unconscious some people can be. (Example- I just heard on the scanner PD enroute to some guy taking a wrench to his ex-wife's BMW. lol.. )

Because I crave for that Breaking News..

Because I want to know when there is criminal activity or danger near me or my Family/Friends.

Same reason I have a PCI Surveillance built into my computer with Nightvision cameras surrounding my house.

Because I like to be "In the Know"..

Because I've always been intrigued by Radiowaves, Scanners, CB's, Walkie Talkies, Antennas, Surveillance, Spying, Gadgets, Electronics.

I remember when I was a just a little guy my Dad bought me and my brother little handheld CB radios and I 'd always carry it around and try it in different places.

Well I would mostly just say "Breaker Breaker 1 - 9 Radio Check"
Lol :)

Then I started building homemade antennas out my bedroom window and would listen to the CB skip all night.

I get a dopamine blast in my brain when I hear my local PD/FD dispatcher sending the Guys into something potentially dangerous.

I like to help/inform others.

DPD1

I had somebody who I knew is big on all those reality shows like Cops and all that, once comment that he thought the whole radio thing was weird and nerdy. But then I told him the same thing... It's like Cops for your imagination. He still didn't seem interested. Personally, I don't see what the difference is really. If you can watch loggers drag logs up and down a hill or watch guys drag crabs into a boat, why wouldn't want to listen to them on a radio? But it's funny, radio stuff does seem to be one of those things that society has decided to place in the "nerdy" category. But I have actually had people say they think that, then gave them a radio and caught them listening.

bkantor

It gives me a safe window into the dangerous world that our brave police and firefighters work in each and every day. It is exciting to listen to, allows me to avoid areas where there are potential problems, and as many others have said, gives me the raw facts quickly, not filtered through the media hours or days later.

AnnakaSpoilt

I have been asked this from variuos people, "why do you listen?"

Why do listen. Is it interesting, are you nosey, do you just need to know what is happening all the time around your town?

Mine is interest, and needing to know what is happening. More now that I am into scanning!

How about you?

Because i am nosey(LOL) and like to see what is going on in my area

MississippiPI

Premium Subscriber
I'm nosey like dat--but seriously folks, I listen for different reasons; I'm a former TV assignment editor where it was my job to listen, I'm a PI here in Mississippi and feel I need to know what is happening; for my safety as well as others; I'm a volunteer FF which has it's advantages from time to time, I don't want to get caught up in some type of situtation with LEO's if I can avoid it, etc.

Be safe

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Part of my job as Emergency Communications, but moslty been listening for about 20 years now. Started buffing the fire department and PD. Joined the FD years later and found more interesting things. The old 46MHz phones found my scanner. Gradually moved up to aircraft, HAM, CB. Yadda yadda.

I cant see my life without knowing first hand whats going on in NYC.

Northerner71

Roads

I listen to the Ministry of Transportation road reports. I do a lot of traveling and I listen to the plows and find out what kind of a trip I am in for.

As a kid I liked to listen to shortwave. When I grew up I joined the navy as an EW, ships did not have the TV feeds from SAT or anything that fancy so the only news the crew got was from news printouts from the Radio Room. I could take my small short wave out on deck and hear the news from the BBC pretty much anywhere in the world. Then I went to work with the Army as a Navy Augmentee, they found out my background and made me the Commo.

I no longer Have to know what is going on all around me professionally, but it is so ingrained in me that I don’t know how not to seek out real time Intel. If I hear an accident at Mobile Hwy and Fairfield Dr I automatically reroute. If I hear a shooting on Nine Mile Road I know where not to go. When I am at home I usually have Google Earth running, I hear a report type the address. While I am house hunting, I know where I hear incidents constantly and what they are so I write off those neighborhoods before I even start. This is who I have been professionally for 20 years, so this level of awareness is my comfort zone.

mciupa

Database Admin
I have been asked this from various people, "why do you listen?"

I compare it to fishing, it is a relaxing way to spend some time and once in a while you have some excitement with a "good catch". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.