why doesn't the newer HP-1s come with extreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
I may have missed it, but why do the newer models of the HP1 not have the upgrade? I think $500.00 is a lot of money to pay for a product just to have to turn around and pay $100.00 more for an upgrade.
I realize that you can find deals that get the price closer to the $400.00 mark but still no upgrade! I would pay $500.00 for the product with the upgrade, I think that would be competitive with the the other self programming scanners such as the pro-18 and the psr800, it appears that the touch screen is the only big advantage over these models.
i'm sure there are more differences that I may not be aware of, but from what I have been reading, at the end of the day, the self programmers do the same thing with just a different user interface!
having said that, I am still thinking seriously of getting the HP-1, just think its a bit pricey with the upgrade! so if you find a good deal let me know!
looking forward to your opinion on this subject!
thanks

bfpdb

It is way over priced, I got the ext at a discount before its release and dont see any advantage to me with the way i use the HP.

lep

I like it enough with the upgrade that I purchased a second one...Yes, I bought the updgrade for the second one also. I am not a novice user of scanners, I have had the 780, 780d, 796d, 396, 996T, 996XT and now I have two HP-1s. With the upgrade and the discover 'trunking systems' feature it is a useful tool to me and is able to substitute for several much more expensive receivers for exploring the spectrum.

Oh, early users were only charge $49 for the initial upgrade which helped a little bit but I had to pay to full $99 for the second HP-1 extreme edition. Of course these are msrp prices, negotiate the best deal you can with your own favorite dealer.

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
Pricing

Some people don't need or want the exploratory and detailed system logging features of the Extreme Software, so they offer it Al La Carte. Very common in many industries....you can buy a Ford Explorer base model if you don;t want air-conditioned seats, if you do it's an option or different package and not surprisingly it costs more.

I do love my HP-1 and I have a GRE PSR-800, 396T and have had most of the other Uniden Scanners along the way.

rwier

in general, how do you like your HP-1?

I, like lep, got in on the early $49 Extreme. The Extreme option which allows analysis of P25 simulcast systems for differences in site reception coupled with different antenna combinations, has been extremely rewarding. No more reading "you need the so-and-so antenna", or "you need to change your site settings to....". Now, if I have the time and patience, I could move around town, select various simulcast sites, all the while switching from one antenna to another. The results of these tests are "argument proof", and are not subject to forum theory and/or forum confusion. Also, I see no real life evidence that what is best for the HP-1 (sites/antennas) is not also best for any radio that decodes the simulcast P25 systems. For $49, or $99, I don't think these real life tests could be duplicated with standard radio equipment without spending thousands of additional dollars. I believe that I have received my $49 "Extreme" value many times over.

ps: I use this testing regularly during times of sparse listening (while driving around town). I worry that maybe an antenna wire has broken (or something else has gone wrong). A quick test, and when I see 7/10 on the strength meter, 100% on the signal quality, and little or no activity on the activity meter, I just smile, and know that I am "good to go", lol.

Last edited:

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine has the Extreme Upgrade, and I would like to get it, but IMO, it's overpriced at $100. It should be $50, tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.