Why don't analog scanners have better DSP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I was messing around with my BC246T earlier today and had it hooked up to a DSP (digital signal processor). The DPS is probably at least 10 years old and is Radio Shack brand. It was originally $30. Just hooking up the scanner to the DSP cuts out so much extra hiss and noise. I don't understand how we can pay hundreds of dollars for high-end analog scanners and not have better DSP technology. We're talking about $30 technology that's ten years old and yet still makes a world of difference. So why do we still have the background hiss on even full-quieting signals? Maybe someone can enlighten me.

prcguy

DSP is not something I would normally consider on a "scanner", which primarily covers VHF/UHF AM & FM. Just like the commercial, mostly FM 2-way radios we monitor, there is no noise unless your just about out of range. HF using SSB and CW is a different story and DSP can really make listening pleasant, even if its simple audio EQ DSP. An HF radio that converts the IF to digital and uses DSP for demod takes it to another level but it costs lots more $. If your scanner is noisy and hisses even with strong signals I would blame the design. My P25 scanner is great in analog and not perfect in digital mode but its not bad, no hiss but it does have some metallic robotic sounds.
prcguy

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I've seen plenty of scanners where even strong signals have a large amount of hiss on them. The real cause is poor phase noise performance in the local oscillators. I would rather see any extra performance enhancements come in the form of a truly clean LO. That would eliminate the need for dsp noise reduction, AND solve all sorts of other problems that scanners are so well known for.

Status
Not open for further replies.