Why DSP Softmute?

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Both radios are the same radio except the ATS 20+ has a better encoder and FM BC filtering. They both use the Si4732-A10 DSP chip. This all-in-one solution has softmute. These are not the only radios utilizing softmute. C.Crane, Eton Elite Executive, and others using this series of DSP chips use softmute.

But for programming your ATS 20 or ATS 20+ you can disable softmute in your ino file. BUT beware. The Si4732-A10 will start to kick out a annoying "clapping" like sound! This is why we see all these DSP based radios softmuting. Experimenting with some ino files with softmute disabled then reflashing the radio with factory hex file introduced me to the difference in behavior. The chip is also a tiny bit slower changing bands while softmute is disabled.

This explanation is what brought me to the conclusion that sofmute is better than annoying "clapping" noise with every single detent rotating the encoder. It would be awful on radios made by CCrane, Eton, and Tecsun.

Just keep the original firmware intact or make a new ino file to re-arrange the display to your liking.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Just why I'll never sell my older radios. Soft mute is the ebola of radio.

Boombox

They do it to try to decrease RFI and other noises that interfere with MW and SW reception. Some radios also have the variable bandwidth function (my Sangean HDR-16 has that on the AM band), where the bandwidth narrows when the signal weakens -- it's to reduce noise.

It sort of works. Sort of doesn't.... And it also is annoying. I only have one radio with actual DSP soft muting -- my Radio Shack AM-FM Pocket Radio.

The rest of my DSP chipped radios -- Grundig G2, Sangean PR-D18, PR-D5 and PR-D14 -- do not have any soft muting. And they all use similar SiLabs DSP chips.

So it's a feature that is not always 'switched on' the DSP chip.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Soft mute can be disabled in some SiLabs chipsets. The Tecsun PL-880 for example has hidden settings that can, amongst other things, alter the soft mute threshold and enable DNR (auto bandwidth setting).

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Soft mute can be disabled in some SiLabs chipsets. The Tecsun PL-880 for example has hidden settings that can, amongst other things, alter the soft mute threshold and enable DNR (auto bandwidth setting).
Some SiLabs 473X series has a side effect after disabling softmute is a subtle but annoying "clapping" like sound each detent while turning the encoder when tuning the radio as per post #1. Do you want a side effect or soft mute? Can't have smooth tuning on Si 473x series dsp chips.
I have no Tecsun DSP radios. I suspect the DSP in the PL-880 might be a audio related DSP because the tuning is done by PLL Dual Conversion. see PL-880 | TECSUN Radio
That would be smooth tuning.

Boombox

Are we talking about actual soft muting (where the signal drops drastically once it goes beneath a certain threshold), or the normal muting between channels when one tunes the radio. Because they are two different things. Even PLL radios have muting in between channels as you tune. Soft muting occurs in DSP chips when you're listening to a frequency.

Some guys confuse soft muting with the capture affect one hears when the DSP resolves a signal.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Are we talking about actual soft muting (where the signal drops drastically once it goes beneath a certain threshold), or the normal muting between channels when one tunes the radio. Because they are two different things. Even PLL radios have muting in between channels as you tune. Soft muting occurs in DSP chips when you're listening to a frequency.

Some guys confuse soft muting with the capture affect one hears when the DSP resolves a signal.
Let's not confuse any further. I am talking about tuning the radio. Just listening, while parked on a frequency, I do not find any evidence of soft muting. It is only when tuning the radio. My OP is about DSP based radios that do not use PLL synthesis. ATS 20/20+

It is upon tuning it chuffs that the chip is set to produce silence for each detent turning the encoder. We do not get the same smoothness of like a analogue PLL synthesized radio like the Sangean ATS 505 changing frequency.

Last edited:

Boombox

^^^^^^ Fair enough, so you're talking about regular muting, not 'soft muting', which is another, separate process. Cool.

Muting between channels has been around since PLL / Digital tuning, apparently to keep the user from hearing artifacts when the encoder is between channels. There are tons of mods to eliminate chuffing. I never saw the need for getting rid of chuffing, as it never bothered me.

RE: the ATS505: from what I understand, the early ATS-505s chuffed, the later ones (like the Radio Shack version that I have) didn't. My 505 sounds like tuning an old analog, non-digital tuner, with the main difference being that the stations / channels sort of pop in as you land on a frequency, or tune past one.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
RE: the ATS505: from what I understand, the early ATS-505s chuffed, the later ones (like the Radio Shack version that I have) didn't. My 505 sounds like tuning an old analog, non-digital tuner, with the main difference being that the stations / channels sort of pop in as you land on a frequency, or tune past one.
I have that Radio Shack version the 2000629. No chuffing. I used it so much and so long I wore off the silk screen print on the keypad. It had a 7 year run of 16 hour days running off of a 6volt SLA 5 amp rechargeable battery. I have gotten used to the chuffing on dsp tuned radios for their clear reception. Now that I remember older Cobra CB radios which are PLL tuned when changing the "channel" they had sort of a mute so I think of it as that, which it is not, but just as my way of justifying it. CB'ers live with it. Why can't I? Good perspective.

Boombox

I have that Radio Shack version the 2000629. No chuffing. I used it so much and so long I wore off the silk screen print on the keypad. It had a 7 year run of 16 hour days running off of a 6volt SLA 5 amp rechargeable battery. I have gotten used to the chuffing on dsp tuned radios for their clear reception. Now that I remember older Cobra CB radios which are PLL tuned when changing the "channel" they had sort of a mute so I think of it as that, which it is not, but just as my way of justifying it. CB'ers live with it. Why can't I? Good perspective.
I use my RS 200629 all the time, too. Great on MW, needs a loop in my location, but it's still a great radio. And I was surprised it didn't chuff. Must be the microprocessor's firmware? The way the PLL is programmed? The IF chip is just a basic IF chip.

Either way, the silk screening is starting to wear off on mine, too. But they're great radios.

Not so hot when there is really strong SSB. Tends to chirp. Have to click in the DX/Local switch to local when that happens. Then you crank the audio. Not a massive deal. Excellent on SW broadcast, FM and MW DXes well at my location with a small loop.

Too bad Sangean doesn't seem to make them anymore. Looks like their ATS-405 (closest new radio to the ATS-505) is possibly DSP. Not that DSP is a bad thing.... but.....

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I use my RS 200629 all the time, too. Great on MW, needs a loop in my location, but it's still a great radio. And I was surprised it didn't chuff. Must be the microprocessor's firmware? The way the PLL is programmed? The IF chip is just a basic IF chip.

Either way, the silk screening is starting to wear off on mine, too. But they're great radios.

Not so hot when there is really strong SSB. Tends to chirp. Have to click in the DX/Local switch to local when that happens. Then you crank the audio. Not a massive deal. Excellent on SW broadcast, FM and MW DXes well at my location with a small loop.

Too bad Sangean doesn't seem to make them anymore. Looks like their ATS-405 (closest new radio to the ATS-505) is possibly DSP. Not that DSP is a bad thing.... but.....
I found this post. The author says this radio has a stereo plug as the antenna jack. Radio Shack 200629 Synthesized World Receiver -- how to quickly fix a feedback and whistling noise issue

Maybe one of us can test to see if it cures the chirping.
1680525571758.png