Why go digital for warehouses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

We got few new facilities here in the Lehigh Valley and doing some searching they are using digital radios most facilities along with some others that have switched.

Never really played with MotoTRBO radios but understand they are very optional user friendly.

But why Warehousing?

Bimbo Bakeries in Breinigsville
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQTN514 - Bimbo Bakeries - Frequency 000452.17500000

Whats making them push to this technology and is there any equipment out there to monitor them?

n5ims

One reason may be that with MotoTRBO you can basically have two independent channels on a single frequency pair. I could see that being useful in warehousing with one covering the loading dock and the other covering the fork lifts working the warehouse excluding the loading dock, perhaps Bimbo may want one talk path for logistics and the other for baking operations, (or the many variations where having independent talk paths being useful).

Steveradio

So they are more cost efficient radios, not a fan of radios cant listen too. We use full encryption at work and were going to demo MotoTRBO radios but the cost per month they didnt like plus questionable coverage areas.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Don't overlook marketing/sales. It isn't hard to sell a customer a digital radio, even though they may not technically need one. Many manufacturers have stopped producing, or drastically cut back on, mid range analog radios.
Many companies were sold new equipment after the FCC mandated narrow banding push, and a lot were sold digital equipment by unscrupulous dealers.

My sons elementary school uses a UHF analog channel, and they were sold a bunch of MotoTrbo radios, even though they don't need them, and are only using analog.

Steveradio

makes sense, most still have the analog system as back up which Pocono Pony in Monroe Co can switch over from time to time.

Just curious how well it works direct/simplex operations or do they all require some sort of inside system?

rapidcharger

makes sense, most still have the analog system as back up which Pocono Pony in Monroe Co can switch over from time to time. )))
MotoTRBO/ DMR can be analog as well although they are only licensed for digital. That would have been an easy thing to add to the license.

Just curious how well it works direct/simplex operations or do they all require some sort of inside system?

DMR is great for simplex because it extends the usable coverage area. There's no static. You have a clear signal up to the point you have no signal. That's a reason they might be great for a warehouse because a repeater, really and truly probably isn't necessary. I looked at the size of those buildings on Boulder drive and... Pffft. There may be some static at some of those facilities but going digital would clear that up. I would be surprised if they really needed a 40 watt repeater.

DMR doesn't require a repeater although the two time slot thing does require a repeater to take advantage of two separate talk paths on one frequency and one repeater.

JRayfield

MOTOTRBO supports dual time slots in simplex mode, now. Actually, they have for some time now (probably close to a year now).

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

MotoTRBO/ DMR can be analog as well although they are only licensed for digital. That would have been an easy thing to add to the license.

DMR is great for simplex because it extends the usable coverage area. There's no static. You have a clear signal up to the point you have no signal. That's a reason they might be great for a warehouse because a repeater, really and truly probably isn't necessary. I looked at the size of those buildings on Boulder drive and... Pffft. There may be some static at some of those facilities but going digital would clear that up. I would be surprised if they really needed a 40 watt repeater.

DMR doesn't require a repeater although the two time slot thing does require a repeater to take advantage of two separate talk paths on one frequency and one repeater.

bauker

Private calls

One of the big advantages of digital is the ability to private call individuals, so you have an internal system that has both group calls and private calls without monthly fees. Not every system is set up that way, but many are.

rapidcharger

MOTOTRBO supports dual time slots in simplex mode, now. Actually, they have for some time now (probably close to a year now).

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

I didn't know that. It was about this time last year that I put down my DMR radio and switched to something else and haven't been staying on top of the developments. Thanks for the correction. That sounds really interesting!

RadioGuy7268

You're pretty much on track. Bimbo wanted/needed 4 talk paths & wanted simultaneous & seamless operations between all groups. They also have an off-site transportation garage & shipping area where they wanted seamless communications between any user group and that off-site location. They also wanted to have the ability to have private 1 to 1 conversations & texting. Future tie-ins to remote locations via the Site IP feature of MotoTrbo was also a selling point.

Any customer buying a new system will look long & hard at digital, compared to "antiquated" analog. When you're spending 100 million on a state of the art bakery, does it make sense to save $5K on the cost of your communication system by buying yesterday's technology?

Steveradio

Its just amazing what places have been going digital and being out in heavy warehouse area the older systems coming up for renew are switching over. Service Electric Cable TV as well along with Dorney park Security, many different warehouse operations.

But at the same time still see new facilities using unlicensed radios and FRS guess it all depends on the needs.

Wish would have demoed the unit now, May be paying more but now the options realizing it can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.